Re: kafka and change in self

  • eu_main
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 30, 2003
      Hiya,

      Changing is relevant because it implies death. Humans tend to
      rather "evolve" or grow by adaptation to a changing environment. If
      things change, we become stronger to adapt or we die. If we change
      ourselves means that we cannot recognize ourselves in what we used
      to do, to look like, etc. Our fear from a changing environment, from
      a changing world is about being forced to change ourselves. We
      prefer evolving, so that we keep our heritage disguised under a
      different dress. Burt Lancaster in Vittorio Desica´s movie says: "It
      is absolutely necessary that everything changes so that we can stay
      the same"... he plays the role of a Prince during the Garibaldi
      revolution in Italy and what he means is: We, the masters of the
      world, need to make cosmetic changes once in a while to continue
      ruling the world. This prince stays the same, he evolves. On the
      other hand, the beetle of the Metamorphosis doesn´t evolve, but he
      changes, his former role as huma dies, his friends, his job and even
      his family are lost.
      For a positive view on change, there is a wonderful novel by Italian
      Nobel graduate Luigi Pirandello "Matias Pascal", about a guy who
      decides to change rather than evolve, and with a good result :-)

      Eu.

      --- In kafka-list@yahoogroups.com, "emilyfg25" <emilyfg25@y...>
      wrote:
      > hey there, I really enjoy Kafka and am studying a module entitled
      > change in self. Want to use 'The Metamorphosis' as a related text.
      > Obvious change in self from guy to beetle (no-duh) but i was
      > wondering if anyone else could come up with anything interesting?
      >
      > thinking about maybe the consequences of a change in self, how he
      is
      > then viewed, what Kafka is saying about change in self etc.
      >
      > i know this is rather random, but if you could help that'd be
      great!!
    • Pasquale LoFiego
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 8, 2003
        Hi
        I have been thinking about Eu's statement that Mattia Pascal 'changes
        rather than evolve' and 'with a good result'!! Well, I do not think that
        Mattia changes, rather he adapts at the new situation. He wanted to
        change his life, of course, and takes the opportunity that the fate
        gives him... but he soon realizes that changing is not possible, due to
        many reasons, and he would like to go back to his old life.. but that is
        not possible also. So, the olnly thing he can do is to adapt to this new
        situation, living a non-life in the shadow of a library... Personally, I
        do not think this is a good result!!

        Pas