Re: [kafka-list] A Hunger Artist

  • mekare002@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 4, 2003
      Hey,
      Don't worry about the rambling, that is what we are here for! And about the
      religious thing. You're right, Kafka was Jewish. However, a lot of Jewish
      people are aware of Christian beliefs and practices just as a lot of
      Christians are aware of Jewish beliefs and practices. And, maybe Kafka had no
      clue about the Christian take on his story but the fact that we can see it in
      his story makes it relevant to us and thereby brings Kafka's story into the
      wider world.

      About the idea that Kafka would see the hunger artist shying away from
      society to practice his art. I can see that because I believe that oftentimes
      artist must take a step back from the world they live in day to day and see
      it differently than most people would. And, I like the idea of the artist
      having integrity, to stick by what he believes in. I think that he is the
      last of a dying breed and has decided to go down with the ship as it were.
      Which like you said, shows integrity. However, going down with the ship sort
      of shows us that he really doesn't see the world for what it is, he has a
      narrow view of what he can do and that is it. It would be like someone never
      wanting to move on in life. Yes, he gets better in his own little world but
      most artists try to do different things or they go through stages, while the
      artist just sticks to one thing, yes that shows integrity but in a way
      doesn't it also show stagnation?