223Re: [kafka-list] please help

  • Cady godess
    Jan 6, 2005
      I really like the idea of Kafka defnding his father
      agianst the world or maybe trying to understand him.
      Espcially as the father in the Judgement is so crazzy.
      And I know from past experience in literture it does
      not always have to be literal relationship between
      father and son. So the Uncle and nephew relationship
      could work as well.

      --- Putrescent Stench of Death
      <putrescent_stench@...> wrote:

      > "The Stoker," which is actually now placed as the
      > first chapter of the novel _Amerika_ (although
      > sometimes appearing by itself), does not directly
      > involve a father-son relationship (nor does the rest
      > of _Amerika_), yet Kafka wanted to include it in
      > _The
      > Sons_. I've never quite understood this. Karl
      > Rossmann, the main protagonist of the story, is
      > kicked
      > out of his house (coincidentally located in
      > Prague..hmm) by his parents for having had relations
      > with a servant and getting her pregnant. Not much
      > more
      > is said of his parents, other than that he values
      > the
      > picture of them he carries around very much.
      > The story does, though only slightly, deal with the
      > relationship between a boy and his uncle (which is
      > expanded upon by the rest of the novel); the same
      > boy
      > also has somewhat of an attachment to the eponymous
      > character, and seeks to defend him. Could it be that
      > Kafka wanted to defend his father against his own
      > accusations that he leveled against the old man? Or
      > could it be that I've got it wrong -- that the boy
      > is
      > the father, and the stoker Kafka, his father
      > defending
      > him, instead of accusing him?
      > Andrew
      > --- Cady godess <cady_godess@...> wrote:
      > > I would think the ovious reason would be that they
      > > all
      > > relate to fathers and sons but I have only read
      > > metamorphis and Judgement but family relations are
      > > important in both stories and also the fact that
      > > they
      > > are sons and the pressure that it puts on them
      > > relates
      > > to the story but I dont know what the secret
      > reason
      > > could be.
      > =====
      > For the most part the phenomenology of the world is
      > a nightmarish excrescence.
      > All these buildings. What did Talbert want to
      > do--sodomize the Festival Hall?

      Listen to the MUSTN'TS child, Listen to the DONT's
      Listen to the SHOULDN'TS, the IMPOSSIBLES, the WON'TS
      Listen to the NEVER HAVES, then Listen close to me
      ANYTHING can happen child, ANYTHING can be