222Re: [kafka-list] please help

    Jan 4, 2005
      "The Stoker," which is actually now placed as the
      first chapter of the novel _Amerika_ (although
      sometimes appearing by itself), does not directly
      involve a father-son relationship (nor does the rest
      of _Amerika_), yet Kafka wanted to include it in _The
      Sons_. I've never quite understood this. Karl
      Rossmann, the main protagonist of the story, is kicked
      out of his house (coincidentally located in
      Prague..hmm) by his parents for having had relations
      with a servant and getting her pregnant. Not much more
      is said of his parents, other than that he values the
      picture of them he carries around very much.

      The story does, though only slightly, deal with the
      relationship between a boy and his uncle (which is
      expanded upon by the rest of the novel); the same boy
      also has somewhat of an attachment to the eponymous
      character, and seeks to defend him. Could it be that
      Kafka wanted to defend his father against his own
      accusations that he leveled against the old man? Or
      could it be that I've got it wrong -- that the boy is
      the father, and the stoker Kafka, his father defending
      him, instead of accusing him?

      Andrew

      --- Cady godess <cady_godess@...> wrote:

      > I would think the ovious reason would be that they
      > all
      > relate to fathers and sons but I have only read
      > metamorphis and Judgement but family relations are
      > important in both stories and also the fact that
      > they
      > are sons and the pressure that it puts on them
      > relates
      > to the story but I dont know what the secret reason
      > could be.

      =====
      For the most part the phenomenology of the world is a nightmarish excrescence.

      All these buildings. What did Talbert want to do--sodomize the Festival Hall?

      http://my.yahoo.com
    • Show all 5 messages in this topic