QRP IN THE PARK - Weather Update

  • kb8qap
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2013
      Last minute preparations & WX UPDATE

      The National Weather Service in Grand Rapids as of 1:00 PM this afternoon has stated that the threat of severe weather for our area is fairly low this afternoon and tonight. It appears that the bulk of a possible severe weather threat will be mainly south and east of a line near Jackson, Michigan which is good news for those wanting to work QRP at Helder Park this afternoon and evening. We will be keeping an eye on the changing weather conditions and will be listening for the latest NWS updates that could affect us at the Park.
      Gusty winds may be an issue for some of the smaller tripod antenna systems so do plan accordingly if you plan to operate with us today.

      If in doubt on the weather, please give us a shout on the 147.06 K8DAA repeater for up to the minute status on this outdoor event.

      Where? HELDER PARK
      3751 104th Avenue
      Holland, Michigan

      When? SATURDAY June 1st - 3PM TO DUSK

      Note: This event is weather permitting and will cancel if severe
      weather is expected for the area. Please monitor this reflector and 147.06 K8DAA repeater the evening of the event for any changes of times or event cancel.
    • Bill Miller
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2013
        Anyone at the park? I see nobody.
        Bill k9hxo

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2013
          Hi All,

          The weather held out! We want to thank the members of the Holland ARC, Allegan ARC, and the Grand Rapids Amateur Radio Association who packed up their HF gear, batteries, and portable antennas and headed out to QRP IN THE PARK down at Helder Park! The QRP operators were really amazed by the quiet band conditions offered at the west end pavilion site (tucked down by the woods) that made operating the 20, 17, 15 meter bands very enjoyable!

          We had 4 stations in operation, including a pair of Yaesu FT857d's (Joe AC8JD & Jeff KB8QAP) working the paddles on CW on 20,17,15 meters, Steve N7MUT working an ICOM 706 MK2G on 17 meter phone, and Jason KD8QNX working 20 meter psk31 on a FLEX 3000 rig (very cool!). Bryan KD8LDX also had a nice showing of a Raspberry Pi board he has whipped up for APRS with his Handi-talkie (very cool project!)

          The HF operators packed light and the antenna systems out at the QRP field were either Buddipoles, Buddisticks, or Par End Fed wire dipoles which kept the weight down and the fun factor high for the hams working the event. A surprise 20m CW contact with a WW2 submarine, The USS BATFISH made by AC8JD really made the day, as did a surprise visit by Ken Schultheiss from Jenison who dropped by the QRP camp and basked in his success of passing all three radio exams (tech, general, and extra class!)that morning at the IRA HAMFEST. Way to go Ken!! I hope you bought your lotto ticket too!

          A quick HARC thanks to: KD8TEW,KD8UHK,NW9A,K0TWB,W8QPP,KF8EV,K8TB,K8AJ,N8KAL,N8WVN and others who came out and said "howdy" or worked us on air using the K8DAA 147.06 repeater. We really appreciate your support & friendship for these HARC outdoor events!!

          We hope to see many of you on June 10th for the monthly HARC club meeting and of course June 22-23rd at the Ottawa County Fair Grounds for ARRL FIELD DAY!

          73! Jeff KB8QAP

          --- In k8daa@yahoogroups.com, Bill Miller <k9hxo@...> wrote:

          > Anyone at the park? I see nobody.
          > Bill k9hxo

        • Joe DeKock
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2013
            The USS Batfish has a very cool story both past and present.  Check out the website.

            Joe
            AC8JD

            --
            Joe DeKock