Using Trees as Antenna Supports

  • Jim Dolson
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 17, 2013
      I'm going to run an 80m horizontal loop through the woods adjacent to my home. The antenna will only be about 20' to,25' up (height limited by ladder length and a fear of falling death) so it will be attached more to tree trunks than tree branches (there will be some movement in strong winds, but not wild thrashing).

      What are good methods of supporting the antenna from trees? Bungee cords? Pulleys with weights hanging down? Attach to the trees with lag-bolts or wrap around the trunks with rope or rubber straps? Etc...

      Thanks!

      Jim
      k8ddv
    • Phil Van Huis
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 17, 2013
        Hey Jim,

        I have an 80 meter loop running around my yard and attached to trees.  I have heard that bungee cords work well and they are easy to use.  But they will deteriorate over time and should be replaced periodically (maybe every two years).

        What I did was use "dogbone" insulators at each corner with a 12"-18" loop of rope from the insulator to the tree.  The antenna wire of course loops through the other insulator hole and around the yard.  I the left a little slack in the wire between corners to account for tree movement.  So far its worked pretty well for me.  Just make sure to keep the trees trimmed so the branches don't rub against the wire.

        The antenna has worked well for me.  It's not as good as a beam of course, but not as expensive either.  But, it was a big improvement over my old G5RV antenna.

        Good luck,

        Phil Van Huis, K8PVH

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 18, 2013
          If you loop anything around a branch or other part of the tree, my experience has been that the tree will eventually grow around it, and make removal difficult to impossible. This is particularly true if the bark is damaged in any way.
          W8EL