Re: [HARC] need info

  • KD8KXI Dan
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 16, 2013
      I strongly second this.  You can pry my Thinkpad from my cold dead hands.  And STAY AWAY from any major retailer!  You want business class if you want to go for a laptop, and they don't sell those in major retail shops for reasons not to the consumer's benefit.  There's a major difference between what HP/Dell/Lenovo sells to consumers and what they sell to businesses in quality and reliability.  Used Thinkpads on eBay is the best way to go if you're on a budget.

      Or you could always go the Macbook route if you have the cash to spend.  They run Windows just fine in addition to MacOS which just simply works and guaranteed no compatibility problems since Apple makes the hardware and the operating system.  Windows 7 is generally well-supported as well. Truly beautiful machines.

      On 04/16/2013 10:39 AM, Alan Beagley wrote:

      On 04/16/13 08:39 am, Allen Walters wrote:

      > Mine and my wife's computers are 10 years old We both run windows xp pro. We are considering replacing our desktops with a laptop. I looked a bit yesterday. They all come with Windows 8. I've heard complaints about windows 8.
      > Has anyone made a change to windows 8 and what problems did you have.
      > I can imagine some programs I currently use for radio etc. would not work. Any ideas out there?

      I haven't used Windows 8, but I understand that some of the
      manufacturers who ship computers with Win8 will provide on request (and
      maybe with payment of a modest fee) Windows 7; this is analogous to what
      I did with a used (but still in warranty) Lenovo ThinkPad that came with
      Vista Business: I "upgraded" (as even the Lenovo rep was willing to call
      it) to XP Pro for $50. HOWEVER, I have also read that not all machines
      designed for Win8 will work well with Win7.

      My suggestion would be to look for a good used "industrial-strength"
      machine such as a T- or W-Series ThinkPad. Unless things have changed,
      the tax laws make it advantageous for businesses to get rid of computers
      after only two years, whereas these particular ThinkPads have three-year
      warranties. Other manufacturers do offer "industrial-strength" machines,
      but you won't find them at Best Buy, Office Max or Staples.

      73

      Alan NV8A

    • sfkaney
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 17, 2013
        I don't see any Windows 7 machines out there new anymore. Hopefully your XP Pro was a full version and not one that was bundled with a particular machine/vendor. I run my old XP 64 Pro as a virtual machine on a Mac Laptop and think its the only way to go. I also have a Windows 7 laptop but it is unloved. More and more I don't like where Microsoft is taking us. Note that you need a lot of memory on the machine you run the VM on. I have 8GB. 4GB wasn't enough

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

        From: Alan Beagley <ajbeagley@...>;

        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 17, 2013
          The free version (player) will run a VM if you already have one created but you need a 'full' version to be able to create a VM or you need a friend with a full version

          Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 17, 2013
            If you buy direct from the manufacturer (which is a good idea) I'm still seeing Windows 7 still offered as an option from Dell, Lenovo and HP on their websites for both business and consumer class machines.

            From: Alan Beagley <ajbeagley@...>;
            On 04/16/13 08:39 am, Allen Walters wrote:

            > Mine and my wife's computers are 10 years old We both run windows xp pro. We are considering replacing our desktops with a laptop. I looked a bit yesterday. They all come with Windows 8. I've heard complaints about windows 8.
            > Has anyone made a change to windows 8 and what problems did you have.
            > I can imagine some programs I currently use for radio etc. would not work. Any ideas out there?

            I haven't used Windows 8, but I understand that some of the
            manufacturers who ship computers with Win8 will provide on request (and
            maybe with payment of a modest fee) Windows 7; this is analogous to what
            I did with a used (but still in warranty) Lenovo ThinkPad that came with
            Vista Business: I "upgraded" (as even the Lenovo rep was willing to call
            it) to XP Pro for $50. HOWEVER, I have also read that not all machines
            designed for Win8 will work well with Win7.

            My suggestion would be to look for a good used "industrial-strength"
            machine such as a T- or W-Series ThinkPad. Unless things have changed,
            the tax laws make it advantageous for businesses to get rid of computers
            after only two years, whereas these particular ThinkPads have three-year
            warranties. Other manufacturers do offer "industrial-strength" machines,
            but you won't find them at Best Buy, Office Max or Staples.

            73

            Alan NV8A

          • Dan KD8KXI
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 17, 2013
              Virtualbox is free without restrictions and I've been happy with it.

              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 18, 2013
                Most enterprise (Business) users have not embraced Windows 8 due to the enormous expense of paying for application upgrades for non-compatible software along with a general aversion to being the beta testers for Microsoft.  As a result, the business class machines are still available from the factory with Windows 7 images.  Once the W8 is mature I expect you'll see a slow migration by the business community.

                Paul Dobosz - K8PD

                From: Alan Beagley <ajbeagley@...>;
                On 04/16/13 08:39 am, Allen Walters wrote:

                > Mine and my wife's computers are 10 years old We both run windows xp pro. We are considering replacing our desktops with a laptop. I looked a bit yesterday. They all come with Windows 8. I've heard complaints about windows 8.
                > Has anyone made a change to windows 8 and what problems did you have.
                > I can imagine some programs I currently use for radio etc. would not work. Any ideas out there?

                I haven't used Windows 8, but I understand that some of the
                manufacturers who ship computers with Win8 will provide on request (and
                maybe with payment of a modest fee) Windows 7; this is analogous to what
                I did with a used (but still in warranty) Lenovo ThinkPad that came with
                Vista Business: I "upgraded" (as even the Lenovo rep was willing to call
                it) to XP Pro for $50. HOWEVER, I have also read that not all machines
                designed for Win8 will work well with Win7.

                My suggestion would be to look for a good used "industrial-strength"
                machine such as a T- or W-Series ThinkPad. Unless things have changed,
                the tax laws make it advantageous for businesses to get rid of computers
                after only two years, whereas these particular ThinkPads have three-year
                warranties. Other manufacturers do offer "industrial-strength" machines,
                but you won't find them at Best Buy, Office Max or Staples.

                73

                Alan NV8A

              • Bob Hardin
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 18, 2013

                  Funny,  just installed VM player on 28 student machines that did not have any VM before.  We use it all the time on PCs and Macs.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 18, 2013

                    Virtual box runs well also especially on Linux and Macs.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 18, 2013
                      How did you create the VM image i.e. install the guest OS? I have used the player not too long ago and the player would not install a guest OS and I had to use VMware Fusion to create the VM but once I had created the VM the player would run it. That's why it is called VMware player