The American Legion Amateur Radio Club

  • Steve Vanderhill
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 6, 2011

      From: March, Joseph H. [mailto:jmarch@...]
      Sent: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 12:07 PM
      To: Public Relations Division
      Subject: The American Legion Amateur Radio Club

      A word or two from the President

      K9TAL IS ON THE AIR!

              After some six months of planning, preparation, clearing, cleaning and gathering materials and equipment together for The American Legion Amateur Radio Club’s shack, we finally “threw the switch” on Wednesday, November 23, 2011 at approximately 1930Z.  Our first QSO was with a New Jersey station.  Marconi could not have been more proud or pleased with his first transmission than we were with ours.

              Early on, the headquarters staff set a target date of Veterans Day, November 11, to be up and operating.  We came close.  All in all, we did well considering that we started with nothing but great enthusiasm, big ideas, and no equipment.  The membership of The American Legion Amateur Radio Club continued to grow through the time of formulating and formalizing things.  It is interesting, if not somewhat amazing, that we had several hundred members before we had the first transceiver in place.  And it is because of a handful of those members, and their “dedication to mutual helpfulness,” that we got the donations of equipment, new and used.

              The shack itself, once a 1950’s-style photographic darkroom, is slowly coming to be a new millennium communications room complete with computers, printers, telephones and of course various radio components, not all of which are yet integrated into the system.  But we will get there.

              Working 20 meters, we got our first QSO with Ron, WU2B, in East Orange , NJ .  He gave us a barefoot “5-7” report that was real pleasing to us since, without a tuner we were running only about 20 watts; it delighted our folks at HQ who rigged the antennas and ran the cable down five stories.

              Things are coming together, but we have a little ways to go.  The shack, when empty, looked very accommodating.  It’s slowly filling up.  But I suppose it’s no different than what we all experience at our own stations.  Things just seem to spread exponentially in the available space.

              If you haven’t seen the articles either in QST magazine or on FOX News about the interest and growth in ham radio of recent, take time to seek them out.   It is very encouraging news, especially in light of the Legion Club and the opportunity it provides to bring those Legion Family members with an interest into our hobby.

              We hope you are directing those interested, to the Club website at http://legion.org/hamradio.  The site is a bit sparse right now, but in the next couple of months it will be well populated with amateur radio information, links, FAQs, and maybe just a bit of the Legion’s history of formal involvement with amateur radio that goes back near to the beginning of the Legion itself.  Keep in mind, too, the Club forum at http://legion.org/forums/ham-radio.  Stop off there when you can and share what you and your group – as members of The American Legion Amateur Radio Club – are doing to promote amateur radio and benefit the community in which you operate.

              In the meantime, staff here has more gearing up to do by reading manuals, programming equipment, and adjusting to equipment we’re not yet thoroughly familiar with.  Keep an ear out.  We’ll be talking with you soon!

      /--…/…--//

      Marty Justis, W9WMJ

      President

                      Here is the news everyone has been waiting for: the first American

              Legion Amateur Radio Club net is scheduled for Wednesday, December 14, 2011

              at 2100 Hrs Eastern.  Craig Roberts, Vice President of TALARC, W3CRR, will serve as

              net control for the Club and you’ll find him on 40 meters, at or about 7.230MHz.

              Additional email notification will go to members this week.

      Joe March - KJ9M

      The American Legion National Hqs.

      700 North Pennsylvania Street

      Indianapolis, IN   46204