Just for you Information.

  • manager@wolverinepower.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 20, 2001
      I'd like to explain alittle bit about the emergency capabilities of a
      BACKBONE PACKET system. It appears that alot of us Amateur Operators
      have become to used to using the internet for just about all our
      needs.

      What did we do before the internet? Well most of us picked up a
      microphone, key, or packet and talked, chatted, shared idea, etc.

      Now imagine this... Severe ICE STORM strike Michigan, all power is
      out, downed power line, communication outside of your local city is
      down, and their is a need to handle emergency traffic. Most turn to
      the local Red Cross, Sheriffs Dept, and Police and Hospital agencies.
      Remember this is a Large Area Wide Outage, and obviously being down
      for sometime 3 to 5 weeks can create some interresting effects, needs
      etc. from out of state relatives, family and friends.

      To communicate, the local amateur radio group goes into action, they
      get the repeaters up, and bingo they can talk to each other, oh so
      they jump to the HF side, and 80M (yeah great for state to state)
      traffic handling, but one problem ..... Q R M ...... on 80m can be so
      bad that you can't even check into the emergency net, let alone try
      to help someone. (Oh I'm talking thru my teeth you might say?) Why
      then during the past 6 Week power outage ICE STORM did the FCC have
      to post messages on ARRL and QRZ webpages PLEDING or more less
      TELLING all amateurs around the US to AVOID 3.8?? (80m) because of
      the QRM they were not able to communicate...Not even within their own
      states. Think about it, via VOICE although its nice and good, Packet
      can handle 100 times the amount of traffic from point to point, with
      less qrm, etc.

      Oh, and usually on Packet, the LID isn't there. He's off chasing 80m
      noise.

      Just ideas of how this system can help us in need.

      Robert Underwood, President
      Holland Amateur Radio Club