To all HAMS

  • Megan Heyl
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 3, 2010
      Wishing each and everyone a wonderful Easter Holiday and a super
      Spring Break.
      If you are traveling or staying close to home, be safe and enjoy!
      Megan
      WO0MEG
    • Ernest Lloyd
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3, 2010
        Dear Megan - and other members:
        I thought our more grizzled members might enjoy this, which comes courtesy of Dave, W8REN, and Curt, W0ALC. It appeared int the February issue of the San Bernardino Microwave Society newsletter.
        YOU KNOW YOU ARE A RADIO GEEZER:
        when  you have more tools than you'll ever need, but can't find them.
        when you need to keep your radio's user manual on the desk.
        when your antennas are getting smaller and closer to the ground.
        when it's been 40 years since you had the snot shocked out of you.
        when you forget the band plans.
        when you check into the weather net, the noontime net, the Bell Telephone net, other nets just because they are there.
        when you still have a Q multiplier and a phone patch in the cabinet.
        when your radio warms up faster than you do.
        when RF gets into your hearing aid.
        when you have to find your teeth to have a QSO.
        when you can no longer see the parts used to make radios.
        when you had a real ham shack.
        when you know how to properly tie a wire bundle using waxed string.
        when some of the test gear you built is older than your adult children.
        whe you add light in from to your radio so you can read the dials.
        when the neighbor kid annoys you with his rap music so you get on six meters and call CQ when there is no chance of a band opening.
        when you buy a piece of gear only to find out you already had one in the garage you forgot about. (What do you think of that, Charlie?)
        when you can no longer log, make QSO's and drive at the same time.
        and finally,
        You really know you are a radio Geezer when you realize a Life Membership in the ARRL is no longer a good value!
        enjoy, W8EL

      • Phil Van Huis
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 4, 2010

          Hmmmm ....  It seems like I can already identify with some of those.

          Thanks Ernie.

          Phil, K8PVH

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 4, 2010

            Ernie
             That is getting close to home. This is a good one that I will pass to some others as well...
            Charlie
            N8QEM

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 4, 2010
              I knew you would enjoy that, Charlie. Unfortunately, I can recognize myself in quite of few of those cases!

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 4, 2010
                me too, Phil!

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 5, 2010
                  "Radio Geezer" must be defined in "Ham years" as opposed to actual age - I can identify with a few of these myself even though I haven't reached the maturity level of you guys yet.......

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 5, 2010
                    IF that is the case Mike, then I guess "I" am safe (for quite a while!)
                    Meg