About Grid Squares

  • K8TB
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 3 6:28 PM
            I have received emails from two people who expressed puzzlement when I gave the grid square of my six meter beacon as EN62wu. They both knew that the grid square for the Holland area is EN62, but they didn't know what the two additional elements were for.

          Around this area of the world, a 4 digit grid square is around 100 miles wide and 70 miles tall. The EN62 grid square, which contains Holland, MI, also contains South Haven, Benton Harbor, and it jumps across Lake Michigan and includes the NE area of Chicago, Racine, Wisconsin and the SE area of Milwaukee. This is a large area.

          If you go to the ARRL web site on grid squares, this is explained rather well:
      http://www.arrl.org/locate/gridinfo.html

          When the Maidenhead system was designed, a 4 digit grid square is to be 1 degree of latitude and 2 degrees of longitude. The Maidenhead people then added the two digits to define a smaller area. The area is now 2.5 minutes worth of latitude tall and 5 minutes worth of longitude wide. This neatly divides a four digit grid square into tiny slices 1/24th as wide and tall, meaning the resolution is 576 times greater.

          But by adding the two additional letters, we can now identify an area that is only 3 miles tall by 4 miles wide, such as EN62wu.

          If you are interested in what your six digit grid square is, QRZ offers a good guess. Most of the time, it is very accurate, but be careful as the QRZ program can be faked out by local road addresses.

          If you would really like to find your six digit grid square, use an online resource that ties into Google Maps:

      Go to:

      http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=13877

      Click on the line just below the top:

       " Full-screen version with gridsquare limits here -"

         This takes you to a page that shows the Google map. Click on and drag the map over to your area, and zoom in. Then double click on your house address, and the program will give you the six digit grid square. Zoom out, and you can see the limits of this 6 digit grid square.
      As an example, the Holland HARC clubhouse is EN62ws and the GRARA Red Cross locations is EN72ex.

      Many of the logging programs can use the six digit grid squares to show the azimuth between the two points, for a much superior antenna pointing accuracy.

           tom bosscher k8tb   "EN72bv" !

    • Phil Van Huis
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 4 5:04 AM
        Hey Tom;

        That was a good write-up.  I think it should be put into the RST newsletter.  Thanks.

        Phil

        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 4 5:25 AM
          Good stuff!

          I wrote a program that calculates your grid square, from your longitude and latitude. If you have a gps, get your long/lat, and plug it into my qrp distance calculator.

          http://www.hoffswell.com/n9ssa/mpwcalc.html

          I wrote the tool long ago to calculate the distance between two points on earth, and then the miles per watt for a communication over that distance. Yay QRP! Some of you might remember my QRP Challenge from long ago!

          73 de n9ssa

          --- In k8daa@yahoogroups.com, K8TB <k8tb@...> wrote:

          > I have received emails from two people who expressed puzzlement
          > when I gave the grid square of my six meter beacon as EN62wu. They both
          > knew that the grid square for the Holland area is EN62, but they didn't
          > know what the two additional elements were for.
          >
          > Around this area of the world, a 4 digit grid square is around 100
          > miles wide and 70 miles tall. The EN62 grid square, which contains
          > Holland, MI, also contains South Haven, Benton Harbor, and it jumps
          > across Lake Michigan and includes the NE area of Chicago, Racine,
          > Wisconsin and the SE area of Milwaukee. This is a large area.
          >
          > If you go to the ARRL web site on grid squares, this is explained
          > rather well:
          > http://www.arrl.org/locate/gridinfo.html
          >
          > When the Maidenhead system was designed, a 4 digit grid square is
          > to be 1 degree of latitude and 2 degrees of longitude. The Maidenhead
          > people then added the two digits to define a smaller area. The area is
          > now 2.5 minutes worth of latitude tall and 5 minutes worth of longitude
          > wide. This neatly divides a four digit grid square into tiny slices
          > 1/24th as wide and tall, meaning the resolution is 576 times greater.
          >
          > But by adding the two additional letters, we can now identify an
          > area that is only 3 miles tall by 4 miles wide, such as EN62wu.
          >
          > If you are interested in what your six digit grid square is, QRZ
          > offers a good guess. Most of the time, it is very accurate, but be
          > careful as the QRZ program can be faked out by local road addresses.
          >
          > If you would really like to find your six digit grid square, use an
          > online resource that ties into Google Maps:
          >
          > Go to:
          >
          > http://www.dxzone.com/cgi-bin/dir/jump2.cgi?ID=13877
          >

          > Click on the line just below the top:
          >
          > "** Full-screen version with gridsquare limits here <fullScreen.php> -*"
          >
          > * This takes you to a page that shows the Google map. Click on and
          > drag the map over to your area, and zoom in. Then double click on your
          > house address, and the program will give you the six digit grid square.
          > Zoom out, and you can see the limits of this 6 digit grid square.
          > As an example, the Holland HARC clubhouse is EN62ws and the GRARA Red
          > Cross locations is EN72ex.
          >
          > Many of the logging programs can use the six digit grid squares to show
          > the azimuth between the two points, for a much superior antenna pointing
          > accuracy.
          >
          > tom bosscher k8tb "EN72bv" !
          >
          > * *

        • Nathan Silva
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 4 6:24 AM
            Great program Pete. Always good to meet a fellow ham/computer geek. I've been reading up on QRP operation as well. I find that I am fascinated by the challenge of getting the maximum distance out of each watt of transmission power. 73s

            Nate