Tulip Time Festival 2009

  • Steve Vanderhill
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 3, 2009
      Hello, it might not feel like Spring is just around the corner
      especially based on the snowy forecast for this coming Sunday & Monday
      but within less than a month the 2009 Tulip Time Festival will be in
      progress. As in the past the Amateur Radio Operators and the American
      Red Cross will be providing support along the parade routes during the
      three Tulip Time parades.

      The first parade (Volksparade) is scheduled for Wednesday, May 6, which
      we will need twelve Amateur Radio Operators to work as a Team with two
      American Red Cross First Aid Responders in covering a one block section
      of the parade route. Along with two Net Control Operators, we will need
      a total of fourteen Amateur Radio Operators, during the time frame of
      approximately Noon until 3:30pm. Currently we have seven who have
      volunteered therefore we need seven more.

      The second parade (Kinderparade) is scheduled for Thursday, May 7, which
      we will need the same number of Amateur Radio Operators as the Wednesday
      parade, during the same approximate time frame. The rain date for this
      parade will be Friday, May 8. Currently we have seven who have
      volunteered therefore we need seven more.

      The third, the largest, and the longest parade (Muziekparade) is
      schedule for Saturday, May 9, which we will need twenty-four Amateur
      Radio Operators to cover a one-block section of the expanded parade
      route, along with two-three Net Control Operators. Also during this
      parade we need packet radio stations setup and operating at the American
      Red Cross Tulip Time Headquarters, Holland High School, and at Net
      Control. Currently we have ten who have volunteered therefore we need
      sixteen more.

      As one can see, this is large operation in which one Club or Group
      cannot handle on their own. Please we need your help in getting the word
      out to all area Amateur Radio Operators of this need. Many have done
      this festival for years and have their favorite spots to serve. If you
      are willing to serve, and have a favorite spot, please let me know I
      will to my best to assign you to that specific position. For those that
      are new to the hobby or those that have sat on the sidelines in the past
      years, please consider giving it a try. It is fun, and is a great way to
      brush up on your net operating procedures while providing a highly
      visible community service.

      If you're interested in volunteering, please provide me with you full
      name, call sign, physical limitations or special needs, contact phone
      number, email address, and any special assignments you would like to
      cover.

      Thank you in advance!

      Best regards,

      Steve Vander Hill - N8UJD