APRS Help with an FT-1500M and a Tiny Trak 2

  • jdollar.geo
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 13, 2002
      I have a Yaesu FT-1500M and a Tiny Trak 2 and I am trying to make them
      work together for APRS. I have everything connected the way it should
      be I think and the led's on the Tiny Trak are indicating that it is
      working correctly. Here is how I connected my radio to the Tiny Trak2...

      FT-1500M Din Tiny Trak 2
      1) Data In Aud Out
      2) Gnd Gnd
      3) PKT PTT Ptt Out
      4) Data Out 9600 bps No Connection
      5) Data Out 1200 bps No Connection
      6) SQL No Connection

      The problem that I am having is that the Tiny Trak indicates that it
      is transmitting (PTT led lights) but the tranceiver does not key up. I
      checked the voltage level at PTT Out on the Tiny Trak and the
      collector of Q1 is grounded when the base is at 600mV but when the
      base is low the collector is still low or has a very ugly signal on it
      around 30mV. The transceiver is not being keyed by the Tiny Trak for
      some reason. I checked all the grounds and connections and I checked
      to make sure that I had the radio set up for packet but nothing works
      still. Anyone who is using the FT-1500M please help!

      I also have R8 removed from the circuit. The PTT line is grounded for
      TX and the instructions say to have R8 in circuit for this condition
      and not connect PTT. I wrote to Byon about this and he said to remove
      R8 and connect PTT Out.

      Thanks
      Chris KC8RQT
    • w8yrb
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 13, 2002
        Hello Chris,

        First it sounds to me that the Q1 in the Tiny Trak 2 is a NPN
        transistor, the way that should be working is when no voltage is
        applied to the base, their should not be any continuity between
        the collector and the emitter. When a voltage is applied to the
        base by the Tiny Trak 2, that should force the Q1 into conduction
        (short) between the collector and emitter, thus appling the ground
        on the collector out the emitter to the radio's PTT grounding the
        PTT line on the radio causing it to go to XMIT mode.

        #1, is the Ground on the collector the same ground as the on the
        radio's pin out Ground (it should be) verify that their is no
        potential between the Q1 collector ground and the GND pin on the
        radio.

        #2, disconnecting GRD and PTT wires on the plug, and shorting the
        GRD to the PTT with a jumper momentarily, does the radio go to
        XMIT MODE? If so, you've verified that the PTT/GRD on the plug
        of the rig is functioning correctly, the problem lyes with the
        wiring and Q1 transistor on the Tiny Trak 2.

        My suppspessions is that the wiring to Q1 is not (COMMON GROUNDED)
        with the radio's GRD on the plug, second is possible that Q1 has
        opened, and needs to be replaced.

        You can verify Q1 Emitter to Collector conduction, by using a ohm
        meter, disconnect the Tiny Trak 2 from the transciever, place the
        leads acrossed the Emitter and Collector of the Q1, place the
        Tiny Trak 2 into Transmit mode, and determine if you have a short
        (continuity) between Emitter and Collector of Q1, is so thats good
        when the tiny trak 2 is removed from transmit mode, Q1 should OPEN
        High resistance.

        Hope this is some help, not knowing the equipment your working on
        and going by what your discribing, just trying to help. Good
        luck.

        Rob - W8YRB