Re: [HARC] HARC Tech and training center....

  • Tom Olson
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 13, 2007
      Ken,

      Do you need any wire for this project? I have lots of
      18 awg bare copper on two spools. One spool is 7
      strand twisted and the other spool is ~ 100 strand
      woven.

      Just let me know and I can drop some off.

      -tom
      KC8JBV
      --- The Aviator <rafaviator@...> wrote:

      > Greetings everyone,
      >
      > Fair wear and tear has caused a failure of our long
      > wire dipole at HARC's
      > building downtown and it needs some repairs. Ernie
      > W8EL and a few of us are
      > considering going down this Saturday around 10h30 to
      > fix.
      >
      > Also the weeds are trying to take over our premises
      > hence we'll probably
      > have a go at cleaning up outside parking area plus
      > front street walkway. All
      > work should take no longer then an hour to complete.
      >
      > If you can bring a shovel and come down for a bit to
      > assist on Saturday
      > morning it would be very helpful.
      >
      > 73's
      >
      > Ken ZR5AAD/W8
      > HARC Technical & Training center manager.

      > http://newlivehotmail.com

      http://tv.yahoo.com/
    • Ernest Lloyd
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 13, 2007
        What we need most is some rope: the nylon line that held up the 40 and 75 meter antennas has succumbed to UV and weather.
        Treasure that wire, Tom! It is getting darned expensive!!!
        73, Ernie, W8EL

        Tom Olson <olsonto2000@...> wrote:
        Ken,

        Do you need any wire for this project? I have lots of
        18 awg bare copper on two spools. One spool is 7
        strand twisted and the other spool is ~ 100 strand
        woven.

        Just let me know and I can drop some off.

        -tom
        KC8JBV
        --- The Aviator <rafaviator@...> wrote:

        > Greetings everyone,
        >
        > Fair wear and tear has caused a failure of our long
        > wire dipole at HARC's
        > building downtown and it needs some repairs. Ernie
        > W8EL and a few of us are
        > considering going down this Saturday around 10h30 to
        > fix.
        >
        > Also the weeds are trying to take over our premises
        > hence we'll probably
        > have a go at cleaning up outside parking area plus
        > front street walkway. All
        > work should take no longer then an hour to complete.
        >
        > If you can bring a shovel and come down for a bit to
        > assist on Saturday
        > morning it would be very helpful.
        >
        > 73's
        >
        > Ken ZR5AAD/W8
        > HARC Technical & Training center manager.

        > http://newlivehotmail.com

      • Ernest Lloyd
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 13, 2007
          Ken, and any others for the work session tomorrow:
          I am bringing a soldering gun, solder, a long extension cord, a painter's pole, and the bow and arrow rig tomorrow. Does anyone have any rope?
          73, Ernie, W8EL

          The Aviator <rafaviator@...> wrote:
          Greetings everyone,

          Fair wear and tear has caused a failure of our long wire dipole at HARC's
          building downtown and it needs some repairs. Ernie W8EL and a few of us are
          considering going down this Saturday around 10h30 to fix.

          Also the weeds are trying to take over our premises hence we'll probably
          have a go at cleaning up outside parking area plus front street walkway. All
          work should take no longer then an hour to complete.

          If you can bring a shovel and come down for a bit to assist on Saturday
          morning it would be very helpful.

          73's

          Ken ZR5AAD/W8
          HARC Technical & Training center manager.

        • Alan NV8A
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 14, 2007
            I could bring a slingshot/fishing reel combo too if that would help.

            I have some thin rope/cord, the same as is holding up my wire antenna,
            but I don't recall the material or the breaking strain.

            73

            Alan NV8A

            On 07/13/07 11:25 pm Ernest Lloyd wrote:

            > Ken, and any others for the work session tomorrow:
            > I am bringing a soldering gun, solder, a long extension cord, a painter's pole, and the bow and arrow rig tomorrow. Does anyone have any rope?
          • Drew Robinson
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 14, 2007
              I have a 100' of 3/8" antenna rope I can bring.
              Drew

              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 14, 2007
                Thanks, Alan, but someone else - I think Don - brought some along.
                Strictly speaking, that antenna is not completely operational yet. the 40 meter antenna is fine - it is below 1.5 to 1 throughout the band. The 75 meter section still needs some work - for some reason, possibly because we raised the antenna higher and got it more in the clear, the trapped stubs for 75 meters resonate at 4.4MHZ rather than 3.9 MHZ as before. We will need to tune up the 75 meter section before it is much good, probably during the week. We can do this by lenthening the stubs to bring it back down into the band.
                Thanks to Nimrod Drew and his bow, Don and his rope, and Ken and his encouragement we are back on the air on 40 meters. The crew did a great job, in spite of being attacked by a "stunt driver" who insisted on doing a 180 for our amazement.
                73, Ernie, W8EL

                Alan NV8A <nv8a@...> wrote:
                I could bring a slingshot/fishing reel combo too if that would help.

                I have some thin rope/cord, the same as is holding up my wire antenna,
                but I don't recall the material or the breaking strain.

                73

                Alan NV8A

                On 07/13/07 11:25 pm Ernest Lloyd wrote:

                > Ken, and any others for the work session tomorrow:
                > I am bringing a soldering gun, solder, a long extension cord, a painter's pole, and the bow and arrow rig tomorrow. Does anyone have any rope?

              • K8TB
                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 15, 2007
                  Ernest Lloyd wrote:
                  >Thanks to Nimrod Drew and his bow,

                  I want to back Ernie up on calling Drew a Nimrod. For whatever wrong
                  reasons,
                  Nimrod has become a negative slang term. However, the original Nimrod
                  was the
                  great-grandson of Noah, and the name means a "great hunter". Always has.
                  (Our double PhD Ernie knows this)

                  I wish I had video taped Drew shooting his custom "blunt" tipped arrow
                  up into the trees at field day. He turned to me and said
                  "Tom, pick out where you want the rope!" Quite a talent.
                  I humbly nominate Drew as the clubs honorary
                  "Great Hunter and Projector of all Things Far Up in Trees!"

                  Tom K8TB
                • Drew Robinson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 15, 2007
                    Tom,

                    Tom,
                    What is the date for the next foxhunt, inquiring minds want to know.

                    I have been called many things in my life but never a grandson of Noah! My late wife, Mary Wynbeek, was the State MIAA archery champ from Calvin College in the late '60s, she taught me how to shoot and deserves the credit for whatever skill I may have. BTW I have never been a hunter, always a target shooter.
                    Drew
                    N8UXP