Re: [HARC] Florida Tower Down in Tornado

  • Peter Venlet
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2007
      A tower that tall ant yet, as if fell, was contained to a specific
      area. Must be engineered that way??

      Peter, N8YEL

      John Wehmer (WB9JSR) wrote:

      > What a waste of a perfectly good tower (drool). Was it really 1500
      > feet tall, that is about 150 stories?
      >
      > John WB9JSR

    • dwp49423
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2007
        FCCInfo.com gives WCFB a structure height of 491 meters. With 3.28
        feet in a meter, that works out to 1610 feet. So 150 stories be accurate.

        For comparison, most TV towers around here are 800-1100 feet.

        But even bigger is the tower of WWTV (CBS Channel 9 in Cadillac). At
        1631 feet, it is the highest structure in Michigan. A distant
        relative (now retired) was an engineer there. He gave me a tour one
        time and trust me, that tower is impressive even with both feet on
        solid ground.
        ==
        As for how it collapsed, Laryn posted something about a year ago
        concerning a tower that was hit by a helicopter. When it was
        dynamited, the guy wires wrapped around a neighboring tower and pulled
        it down. The video shows both towers collapsing straight down and
        folding up like a fold up wood ruler. Guessing WCFB's tower collapsed
        similarly.

        N8UJH