RE: [HARC] Florida Tower Down in Tornado

  • John Wehmer (WB9JSR)
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 6, 2007
      What a waste of a perfectly good tower (drool). Was it really 1500 feet tall, that is about 150 stories?

      John WB9JSR

      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 6, 2007
        A tower that tall ant yet, as if fell, was contained to a specific
        area. Must be engineered that way??

        Peter, N8YEL

        John Wehmer (WB9JSR) wrote:

        > What a waste of a perfectly good tower (drool). Was it really 1500
        > feet tall, that is about 150 stories?
        >
        > John WB9JSR

      • dwp49423
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 6, 2007
          FCCInfo.com gives WCFB a structure height of 491 meters. With 3.28
          feet in a meter, that works out to 1610 feet. So 150 stories be accurate.

          For comparison, most TV towers around here are 800-1100 feet.

          But even bigger is the tower of WWTV (CBS Channel 9 in Cadillac). At
          1631 feet, it is the highest structure in Michigan. A distant
          relative (now retired) was an engineer there. He gave me a tour one
          time and trust me, that tower is impressive even with both feet on
          solid ground.
          ==
          As for how it collapsed, Laryn posted something about a year ago
          concerning a tower that was hit by a helicopter. When it was
          dynamited, the guy wires wrapped around a neighboring tower and pulled
          it down. The video shows both towers collapsing straight down and
          folding up like a fold up wood ruler. Guessing WCFB's tower collapsed
          similarly.

          N8UJH