Winter Storm Warning

  • John Wehmer (WB9JSR)
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2006
      -----Original Message-----
      From: William King K8WLK [mailto:k8wlk@...]
      Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2006 4:38 PM
      To: <snip>

      URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
      NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND RAPIDS MI416 PM EST THU NOV 30 2006 ...A SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM EXPECTED TO IMPACT SOUTHWEST
      LOWERMICHIGAN TONIGHT AND FRIDAY... .A LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM CURRENTLY DEVELOPING OVER ARKANSAS WILLINTENSIFY AS IT MOVES NORTH TO
      CENTRAL ILLINOIS AROUND DAYBREAKFRIDAY MORNING...AND THEN TO NEAR SOUTHERN LAKE HURON FRIDAY EVENING.ABUNDANT MOISTURE WILL MOVE
      OVER THE AREA LATE TONIGHT AND FRIDAYMORNING AHEAD OF THIS INTENSIFYING SYSTEM. THIS MOISTURE WILL MOVEINTO THE COLD AIR MOVING
      OVERHEAD...AND WILL DEVELOP SNOW...SLEET...FREEZING RAIN...AND RAIN OVER THE AREA.
      MIZ051-052-056-057-010530-/O.UPG.KGRR.WS.A.0003.061201T0800Z-061201T2000Z//O.NEW.KGRR.WS.W.0002.061201T0600Z-061202T0000Z/MONTCALM-G
      RATIOT-OTTAWA-KENT-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...GREENVILLE...ALMA...JENISON...GRAND RAPIDS416 PM EST THU NOV 30 2006 ...WINTER STORM
      WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 7 PM EST FRIDAY... THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAND RAPIDS HAS ISSUED A WINTERSTORM
      WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 1 AM TO 7 PM EST FRIDAY.THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT. FREEZING
      RAIN...SLEET...AND/OR SNOW WILL DEVELOP ACROSS THE AREABEFORE DAYBREAK EARLY FRIDAY MORNING. THE MIXTURE OF PRECIPITATIONWILL THEN
      CHANGE OVER TO SNOW AFTER DAYBREAK. SNOW WILL BECOMEHEAVY AT TIMES WITH SNOWFALL RATES OF 1 TO 2 INCHES PER HOURPOSSIBLE. SOME
      THUNDERSNOW WILL BE POSSIBLE. SNOW WILL THENGRADUALLY END TOMORROW AFTERNOON. AROUND A QUARTER OF AN INCH OF ICE IS EXPECTED TO FALL
      LATETONIGHT AND FRIDAY MORNING BEFORE CHANGING OVER TO SNOW. SNOWFALLAMOUNTS OF 6 TO 12 INCHES ARE EXPECTED TOMORROW BEFORE THE
      SNOWGRADUALLY ENDS LATE TOMORROW AFTERNOON. A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW...SLEET...AND ICE ARE EXPECTED
      OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSOPOSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE. $$

      K8WLK

      William King, AEC

      Ottawa County Skywarn Coordinator

      616.291.0286 voice

      k8wlk@...

    • Rick Elushik
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 2, 2007
        Winter Storm Warning
        URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
        NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND RAPIDS MI
        1156 AM EST FRI FEB 2 2007

        ...SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW ON THE WAY...

        .AN ARCTIC FRONT CURRENTLY MOVING THROUGH THE AREA
        WILL BRING MUCH
        COLDER AIR INTO THE AREA. SNOW SHOWERS ASSOCIATED WITH
        THIS FRONT
        AND AN UPPER LEVEL SYSTEM WILL CONTINUE TO ENHANCE THE
        SNOW
        SHOWERS THROUGH MOST OF THIS AFTERNOON. AS THE COLDER
        AIR COMES IN
        OVER THE RELATIVELY WARMER WATERS OF LAKE
        MICHIGAN...SNOW SHOWERS
        WILL BECOME MORE INTENSE TONIGHT AND CONTINUE THROUGH
        THE DAY ON
        SATURDAY. BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW AND LOW WIND
        CHILLS ARE ALSO EXPECTED.

        MIZ037-038-043-044-050-056-057-064-065-071-072-030100-
        /O.UPG.KGRR.SB.Y.0001.070202T1700Z-070203T0000Z/
        /O.UPG.KGRR.WS.A.0002.070203T0500Z-070204T0500Z/
        /O.NEW.KGRR.WS.W.0002.070202T1656Z-070203T2300Z/
        MASON-LAKE-OCEANA-NEWAYGO-MUSKEGON-OTTAWA-KENT-ALLEGAN-BARRY-
        VAN BUREN-KALAMAZOO-
        INCLUDING THE CITIES
        OF...LUDINGTON...BALDWIN...HART...FREMONT...
        MUSKEGON...JENISON...GRAND
        RAPIDS...HOLLAND...HASTINGS...
        SOUTH HAVEN...KALAMAZOO
        1156 AM EST FRI FEB 2 2007

        ...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST
        SATURDAY...

        THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAND RAPIDS HAS
        ISSUED A WINTER
        STORM WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 PM EST
        SATURDAY. THE
        SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.
        THE WINTER
        STORM WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

        SNOW SHOWERS WILL CONTINUE THIS AFTERNOON AND WILL BE
        LOCALLY
        HEAVY AT TIMES. SNOW SHOWERS WILL BECOME MORE INTENSE
        TONIGHT AND
        WILL REMAIN RATHER INTENSE THROUGH THE DAY ON
        SATURDAY. 6 TO 12
        INCHES OF SNOW WITH LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS ARE
        EXPECTED FROM THIS
        AFTERNOON THROUGH THE DAY ON SATURDAY.

        MAINLY WEST WINDS OF 10 TO 20 MPH WITH SOME GUSTS TO
        30 MPH WILL
        CREATE AREAS OF BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.
        VISIBILITIES ARE
        EXPECTED TO BE REDUCED TO NEAR ZERO AT
        TIMES...ESPECIALLY TONIGHT
        AND SATURDAY.

        THE WINDS COMBINED WITH THE COLD TEMPERATURES WILL
        PRODUCE WIND
        CHILLS DOWN INTO THE -10 TO -20 DEGREE RANGE BY
        TOMORROW AFTERNOON.

        CONDITIONS CAN DETERIORATE RAPIDLY IN WINTER WEATHER
        SITUATIONS,
        SLOW DOWN AND ALLOW EXTRA TIME WHEN TRAVELING.
        PRACTICE YOUR
        WINTER SAFETY RULES. KEEP AN EXTRA
        FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...AND WATER
        IN YOUR CAR IN CASE OF EMERGENCY.

        VERY COLD AIR AND GUSTY WINDS WILL COMBINE TO GENERATE
        LOW WIND
        CHILLS. THIS WILL RESULT IN FROST BITE AND LEAD TO
        HYPOTHERMIA IF
        PRECAUTIONS ARE NOT TAKEN. IF YOU MUST VENTURE
        OUTDOORS...MAKE
        SURE YOU WEAR A HAT AND GLOVES.

        Cheap talk?
        http://voice.yahoo.com
      • Rick Elushik
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 18, 2008
          Winter Storm WarningURGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
          NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GRAND RAPIDS MI
          405 AM EST THU DEC 18 2008

          ...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT...

          .A STRENGTHENING LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL TRACK FROM THE CENTRAL
          PLAINS TO NORTHERN OHIO TONIGHT AND FRIDAY. SIX TO TEN
          INCHES OF SNOW ARE EXPECTED WITH THIS STORM.

          MIZ037>040-043>046-050>052-056>059-064>067-071>074-181715-
          /O.UPG.KGRR.WS.A.0014.081219T0000Z-081220T0000Z/
          /O.NEW.KGRR.WS.W.0010.081219T0000Z-081220T0000Z/
          MASON-LAKE-OSCEOLA-CLARE-OCEANA-NEWAYGO-MECOSTA-ISABELLA-MUSKEGON-
          MONTCALM-GRATIOT-OTTAWA-KENT-IONIA-CLINTON-ALLEGAN-BARRY-EATON-
          INGHAM-VAN BUREN-KALAMAZOO-CALHOUN-JACKSON-
          INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...LUDINGTON...BALDWIN...REED CITY...
          CLARE...HART...FREMONT...BIG RAPIDS...MOUNT PLEASANT...MUSKEGON...
          GREENVILLE...ALMA...JENISON...GRAND RAPIDS...IONIA...ST. JOHNS...
          HOLLAND...HASTINGS...CHARLOTTE...LANSING...SOUTH HAVEN...
          KALAMAZOO...BATTLE CREEK...JACKSON
          405 AM EST THU DEC 18 2008

          ...WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS EVENING TO 7 PM
          EST FRIDAY...

          THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAND RAPIDS HAS ISSUED A WINTER
          STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 7 PM THIS
          EVENING TO 7 PM EST FRIDAY. THIS IS AN UPGRADE TO THE WINTER STORM
          WATCH.

          A DEVELOPING LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL MOVE FROM EASTERN COLORADO
          THROUGH ILLINOIS...INDIANA...AND OHIO TONIGHT AND FRIDAY. SNOW
          WILL DEVELOP OVER FAR SOUTHWEST LOWER MICHIGAN AFTER 7 PM TONIGHT
          AND SPREAD NORTHEAST DURING THE NIGHT. THE SNOW WILL BECOMING
          HEAVY LATE TONIGHT AND CONTINUE INTO FRIDAY. SNOWFALL RATES OF AN
          INCH PER HOUR ARE POSSIBLE WHICH WILL MAKE FOR VERY HAZARDOUS
          DRIVING CONDITIONS.

          TOTAL SNOWFALL IN THE 6 TO 10 INCH RANGE IS EXPECTED BY LATE
          FRIDAY. THE HIGHER TOTALS WILL BE ALONG AND SOUTH OF A WHITEHALL
          TO ALMA LINE.

          IN ADDITION TO THE HEAVY SNOW...IT/S POSSIBLE THAT SOME SLEET MAY
          MIX IN WITH THE SNOW LATE TONIGHT AND EARLY FRIDAY SOUTH OF I-94.

          A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER
          CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF
          SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN
          AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...
          FOOD...AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

        • Phil Van Huis
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 8, 2009
            To all HARC members;

            I have received a message from Skywarn/NWS about a winter storm warning. Snow and sleet is supposed to start this afternoon.

            I am wondering if this evenings HARC meeting should be re-scheduled.

            Comments please....

            Phil, K8PVH

          • Megan Heyl
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 8, 2009
              Phil,

              My suggestion is to always take caution, and not have anyone travel /
              be out if it is not a life and death emergency. I see the only other
              option is to postpone until January... since schedules are full with
              holiday events / family / school programs etc. I know if schools are
              closed we close... but it might take a turn for the worse in a few
              short hours, and would hate anyone not living in Holland to make the
              trip and be in "danger" traveling. Will contact all TV/Radio once I
              get the decision to cancel....

              Anyone else?

              Meg

              On Dec 8, 2009, at 10:03 AM, Phil Van Huis wrote:

              > To all HARC members;
              >
              > I have received a message from Skywarn/NWS about a winter storm
              > warning. Snow and sleet is supposed to start this afternoon.
              >
              > I am wondering if this evenings HARC meeting should be re-scheduled.
              >
              > Comments please....
              >
              > Phil, K8PVH

            • Ed Heyboer
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 8, 2009
                Tough call!

                But I guess I'd wait until mid-afternoon for wx updates.

                Then, if reschedualed, contact Laryn to place a voice message on the 2 m repeater.

                Ed, KF8EV