RE: [HARC] Need a Balun

  • John Bok
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 25, 2006
      Hi Ernie...and all...

      The use of this antenna is not primarily for Amateur Radio. It is for off
      band MARS use, and over many different frequencies without the use of a
      tuner. MARS is adopting ALE (not the drinking kind...:too bad), but
      Automatic Link Establishment protocol. The computer program used for this
      also controls the radio, and may switch to many different frequencies
      without input from the operator. This is the reason for the use of a wide
      banded antenna, that may not have time for a tuner to catch up.

      John N8WVN

        wrote:
        Jim Hays, KB8IDQ, needs a balun and I am posting this message for him.

        Jim needs a 16:1 balun, or the directions to make one.

        If anyone knows where to get such a balun or directions, please let me
        know and I will pass it on to him.

        Thanks,

        Phil VH, KC8QXY

        Visit http://www.hollandarc.org for the latest Holland Amateur Radio Club
        News, Information and Fellowship!

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        A better answer would be an automatic tuner, which is what I use. Once installed and run through the bands this will tune in less than a second. As for a 16 to 1 balun, the literature mentions that step-up baluns with high impedance outputs are difficult to design because the impedance across the the output needs to be from 4 to 10 times the working impedance, which is tends to limit the frequency range. Good design and construction are crucial. This can be done with multiple windings. If you don't require wide bandwitdth, why not use traps? See Cebik's article for his comments.
        73, Ernie, W8EL