let's not let this happen here

  • John Hanse
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2006
      Western Pennsylvania Section Convention host cancels future hamfests (Sep
      21, 2006) -- Just two days after hosting the ARRL Western Pennsylvania
      Section Convention September 10, the Butler County Amateur Radio Association
      (HYPERLINK "http://www.w3udx.org/" \nBCARA) voted to throw in the towel and
      get out of the hamfest business. The main reason, cited in the HYPERLINK
      "http://www.w3udx.org/images/Tell-A-Ham/tah_09_061.pdf" \nSeptember issue of
      the club's Tell-A-Ham newsletter, is a lack of membership involvement.
      "There is not nearly enough member involvement to staff the hamfest," wrote
      BCARA Treasurer Kevin Berry, KF4RMA, who edits the newsletter and took on
      tasks this year as hamfest vendor chairman, parking chairman, treasurer and
      flyer preparation, among others. "The few, dependable workers have burned
      out." According to the newsletter, fewer that one-quarter of the club's 80
      members pitched in to make the hamfest happen this year, and nearly all
      handled multiple duties during the event. The September 10 gathering at the
      Butler County Farm Show Fairgrounds was the club's 29th annual hamfest.
      Whether it's also the last, BCARA President Jim Love, W1JHL, told ARRL, is
      in the hands of the membership. "If we can get the manpower that is required
      to support the hamfest we will continue the tradition," he said. "However,
      this year, as in the recent past, we have not received the needed help."
      HYPERLINK "http://www.arrl.org/?artid=6799"Link to this story

      John Hanse