RE: [HARC] 2 meter Simplex Frequencies

  • Ernest Lloyd
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 11 8:32 AM
      Actually, Chuck could give better info for this region. I did not operate 2 meter FM until the middle 1970's. I think it was in the 80's that the old 30 KHZ spacing was changed to 20 in some places and 15 in others. The older commercial equipment was not designed for the narrower channel width, which made a lot of obsolete wide channel commercial equipment available cheaply to amateurs. I don't remember the year that the newer narrower (15 KHZ?) equipment was mandated for commercial VHF service. Laren lived through that era also, so he could fill us in on more history. How about it, Chuck and Laren?
      73, Ernie, W8EL

      "John Wehmer (WB9JSR)" <wb9jsr@...> wrote:
      Very good info Chris.

      For a little history, 146.940 was a very popular simplex frequency 30+ years ago. Since most (all?) FM activity was between 146 and
      147mhz, the channel was known as simply 94. Another popular simplex freq was 146.820 known as 82. Later, these frequencies were
      used for repeaters, so the frequencies around 146.52 (the middles of the 1mz FM portion) was used for simplex, giving us 46, 49, 52,
      55, 58, etc. Note the 30khz gap between channels.

      Later the portion of 2 meters from 147 to 148 was used for more FM, again the middle of it used for simplex. Therefore the units
      megahertz was used to differentiate between 146 and 147 i.e. 6.94, 7.06, etc

      Later yet even more of the band below 146 was opened to FM.

      I’m sure someone else can “expound” about the “channel” spacing, 30mhz, 20mhz and 15mhz (hey Ernie!).

      73

      John WB9JSR

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 11 2:02 PM
        --- In k8daa@yahoogroups.com, Ernest Lloyd <w8el@...> wrote:

        > Actually, Chuck could give better info for this region. I did not
        operate 2 meter FM until the middle 1970's. I think it was in the 80's
        that the old 30 KHZ spacing was changed to 20 in some places and 15 in
        others. The older commercial equipment was not designed for the
        narrower channel width, which made a lot of obsolete wide channel
        commercial equipment available cheaply to amateurs. I don't remember
        the year that the newer narrower (15 KHZ?) equipment was mandated for
        commercial VHF service. Laren lived through that era also, so he
        could fill us in on more history. How about it, Chuck and Laren?
        > 73, Ernie, W8EL
        >
        > "John Wehmer (WB9JSR)" <wb9jsr@...> wrote:

        Hmmm.... Well, I don't know when the commercial people went to 15kc
        spacing. And the spacing depends on which band you are talking about.
        VHF (commercial) went the 60/30/15kc route and now they are splitting
        again, for more channels. I'm not sure how UHF went. It was spaced
        for many years at 25kc with 12.5kc used for lower power operations. I
        think they are also splitting that again, too.

        The 2M band slso started with the 60/30/15kc route as more channels
        were needed and technology improved. Michigan went from 30 to 20kc
        spacing for repeaters between 146 and 148mc I think in the early 80s.
        The coordinators in office at that time saw a way to fit existing
        repeaters more easily into the band, while also, sort of, existing
        with other states and Canada. It doesn't always work so well. For
        instance, 147.160 is just 5kc away from other states' 147.165 channel.
        There are a bunch of other similar spacings as the 20 vs 15kc
        channels go in and out of sync. We're lucky here in Holland bacause
        7.06 is 15kc away from the nearest channel. So we don't hear someone
        5kc off frequency, which usually sounds horrible. (Skip can be
        annoying; distorted skip is downright awful.) Although with CTCSS in
        place and operating on your radio, it's not so much a problem anymore.

        Don't know if that ramble answered your questions....

        Laryn K8TVZ