Another interesting record find (no, not about ham radio)

  • radioboy1950
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 14, 2006
      So this isn't about ham radio. The other night, I went to Goodwill as
      is my habit, looking for interesting records. Found one with local
      talent on it. It is an Audiodisc brand "home made" recording. It is
      Dr. Marion De Velder, narrating (reading)a western story, "The Luck of
      Roaring Camp" written by Bret Harte. Recorded at the Holland Civic
      Center, December 13, 1956. Ranks up there with the 3 disc set of a
      wedding from about 40 or more years ago. Now, I wonder how this record
      of Dr. De Velder got in the records at Goodwill. From what I remember
      of him, he had a weekly column in the Holland Sentinel. Now, here's
      where my local history stinks. Was he a local pastor, or a prof at
      Hope or Western Seminary? You old timers will know this.

      As an adjunct to this, I am as always, looking for records. Mostly 30s
      to 50s jazz, big band, easy listening, and the like. Please, NO
      Lynelle Pierce records!!!
      de KA8FQS, "Fuzzy"
    • Alan NV8A
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 14, 2006
        On 04/14/06 07:30 pm radioboy1950 wrote:

        > So this isn't about ham radio. The other night, I went to Goodwill as
        > is my habit, looking for interesting records. Found one with local
        > talent on it. It is an Audiodisc brand "home made" recording. It is
        > Dr. Marion De Velder, narrating (reading)a western story, "The Luck of
        > Roaring Camp" written by Bret Harte. Recorded at the Holland Civic
        > Center, December 13, 1956. Ranks up there with the 3 disc set of a
        > wedding from about 40 or more years ago. Now, I wonder how this record
        > of Dr. De Velder got in the records at Goodwill. From what I remember
        > of him, he had a weekly column in the Holland Sentinel. Now, here's
        > where my local history stinks. Was he a local pastor, or a prof at
        > Hope or Western Seminary? You old timers will know this.

        From the "Necrology Report" in the Minutes of the 2005 General Synod of
        the Reformed Church in America:

        "Marion de Velder

        Marion de Velder was born on January 28, 1912, at Boyden, Iowa. He
        studied at Central College, from which he graduated in 1934. His
        theological education was received at New Brunswick Theological
        Seminary, from which he graduated in 1937. He was awarded honorary D.D.
        degrees from Central College in 1949 and Hope College in 1977.

        Mr. de Velder was licensed by the Classis of New Brunswick in 1937 and
        ordained by the Classis of Philadelphia the same year. He pastored the
        following congregations: North and Southampton, Churchville,
        Pennsylvania, from 1937 to 1939; Hope, Holland, Michigan, from 1939 to
        1951 and 1952 to 1959; and Central, Grand Rapids, Michigan, from 1959 to
        1961. He was associate pastor at First, Albany, New York, from 1951 to
        1952. Mr. de Velder served as the stated clerk of the General Synod from
        1961 to 1968 and as the general secretary of the RCA from 1968 to his
        retirement in 1977. He was also elected president of the General Synod
        in 1958.

        Mr. de Velder died on September 2, 2004. He was ninety-two years old."

        73

        Alan NV8A