RE: [HARC] Tulip time help

  • John Wehmer (WB9JSR)
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 15, 2006

      Hello, it might not feel like Spring Time is just around the corner but it
      will be here very soon, with Spring's arrival comes the 2006 Tulip Time
      Festival. As in the past the Amateur Radio Operators and the American Red
      Cross will be providing support along the parade routes during the three
      Tulip Time parades.

      The first parade is scheduled for Wednesday, May 10, which we will need
      twelve Amateur Radio Operators to work as a Team with two American Red Cross
      First Aid Responders in covering a one block section of the parade route.
      Along with two Net Control Operators, we will need a total of fourteen
      Amateur Radio Operators, during the time frame of approximately noon until
      3:30pm.

      The second parade is scheduled for Thursday, May 11, which we will need the
      same number of Amateur Radio Operators as the Wednesday parade, during the
      same approximate time frame. The rain date for this parade will be Friday,
      May 12, 2006.

      The third, the largest, and the longest parade is schedule for Saturday, May
      13, which we will need
      twenty-four Amateur Radio Operators to cover a one-block section of the
      expanded parade route, along with two-three Net Control Operators. Also
      during this parade we need packet radio stations setup and operating at the
      Civic Center, Holland High School, and at Net Control.

      Also for the Saturday parade, Amateur Radio Operators are needed to assist
      with parade lineup. This group will be working within their own net, and on
      a different frequency than the parade route Teams. We need approximately
      ten operators, six assigned to specific Division Parade Marshals, one to
      work with the floats, one to assist the TV Crew with their coverage, one to
      work with the cars, one to work directly with the Grand Marshal, and two Net
      Control Operators. Adding up the various activities on Saturday, we need
      approximately forty Amateur Radio Operators just to cover what we currently
      know needs to be covered.

      As one can see, this is large operation in which one Club or Group can not
      handle on their own. Please we need your help in getting the word out to
      all area Amateur Radio Operators of this need. Many have done this festival
      for years and have their favorite spots to serve. If you are willing to
      serve, and have a favorite spot, please let me know I will to my best to
      assign you to that specific position. For those that are new to the hobby
      or those that have sat on the sidelines in the past years, please consider
      giving it a try. It is fun, and is a great way to brush up on your net
      operating procedures while providing a highly visible community service.

      If your interested in volunteering, please provide me with you full name,
      call sign, physical limitations or special needs, contact phone number,
      email address, and any special assignments you would like to cover.

      Thank you in advance!

      Best regards,

      Steve Vander Hill - N8UJD
      svanderhill@...