scanner freqs

  • radioboy1950
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 9, 2006
      Interesting that they reprogrammed. I still get Ottawa county sheriff
      on the same freq. Maybe it was car to car or others...guess I should
      listen. Funny,tho, they are concerned with their freqs on the internet
      when you can get them in a book from RadioSchlock.
    • Peter Venlet
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 9, 2006
        I think that what Bill may have been refereing to in terms of "critical
        frequencies" were the inputs and PL's to the various systems and
        subsystems of all the communication equipment that the local law
        enforcement, fire etc use...I may be wrong on that, but there are those
        that foolishly publish the inputs and PL's of these systems and then
        there are those that use this information to illegally interfere,
        transmit etc. on them.

        Let me be clear, I am totally aginst the publication of public service
        repeater inputs and PL's as there are always those that are tempted to
        use them for fun and also ill will. My intention of compiling a local
        area database are for pure listening pleasure as I would think 99.9% of
        us do enjoy listening to the public services perform their duties and
        hearing the "action" live as it happens.

        I sent off an E-mail to Mr. Smith at the EOC seeking his input and
        clarification on Mr. Kings statement and his thoughts on the matter of
        "confidentiality" and to why Mr. King thinks I should be "cautious about
        solicitation of the frequencies or any publication" which, that
        statement, almost threatening, almost makes it sound as if I am skirting
        the limits of the law or attempting to do something surruptetious with
        the data gathered whenthat clearly is not the case.

        Clearly there are 100's of resources out there where the hobbyist can
        get frequencies. I found several today just by doing a Google search.
        However the local Amateur community, by our very nature, do find and do
        have frenquencies that we find of interest...I.E. railroad comms,
        marine, etc. etc. of which it is perfectly legal to listen too.

        Amateur radio, Shortwave listening and yes, scanning are hobbies that
        many of us enjoy. If any listening were illlegal, as it is with
        cellular communications, laws would be passed. Thankfully we do not YET
        live in a communist state.

        I hope to hear from Mr. Smith of the EOC with his position on the
        matter. I have also requested his permission to re-print, ver-batim,
        his response to put up on the relfector for all to read. Til then,
        happy listening!

        Peter, N8YEL