More on Suit Sat

  • k8tb_en72
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 3, 2006
      The Suit Sat is still on schedule to be released from the ISS
      this afternoon. The Suit Sat will be transmitting on 145.99. The
      Suit Sat will be transmit only (one very expensive beacon)

      If you wish to track when the ISS will be by your location, you
      can use the on line tracking program at AMSAT at:

      http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/tools/predict/

      If you don't know your grid square or latitude/longitude, use
      this tool at the ARRL site:

      http://www.arrl.org/locate/locate.html

      Holland comes out as EN62, and the towns center coordinates are
      given.

      Here is some interesting information. The first ever once a
      month, first Saturday of the month swap is being held at the TAT-C
      (um, Technology And Trainig Center) tomorrow. I put in the Holland
      coordinates, and there will be an almost overhead pass startimg at
      10:20 AM ! Just in time to kick off the first swap.

      Details:

      Acquistion of signal will be at 10:19 am local.
      Signal will appear at 305 degrees on the horizon.

      The ISS will peak at around 10:24 am local, at an elevation of 73
      degrees, with an azimuth of 47 degrees.

      Loss of signal will be at 10:29 am local, at 121 degrees on the
      horizon.

      The signal from the Suit Sat is not supposed to be as strong as
      what is heard from the ISS. I can hear ISS passes from my mobile. My
      wife Sheila (W8IIE) and myself plan to be at the Holland Sawp
      Saturday morning, and I will take a 3 or 4 element beam. I believe
      will be able to hear this Suit Sat quite well.

      More information is on the Amsat site at:

      http://www.amsat.org/amsat-new/index.php

      Looking forward to seeing you tomorrow.

      Tom Bosscher K8TB

      p.s., please feel free to pass the orbit prediction times to anyone
      in the West Michigan area.
    • Laryn Lohman
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 3, 2006
        Via NASA TV at 2300 local, I have heard that the first few orbits of Suitsat
        produced <extremely> weak signals. The most recent orbits apparently show
        no signals at all. Stay tuned...

        Laryn K8TVZ
      • Joe Veldhuis
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 3, 2006
          Somehow, I just had a feeling that this was going to happen. Anyway,
          first pass here will be around 3:57 AM local time (or 5:32, depending on
          who you ask), I'll be monitoring (with my broken dipole)...

          -Joe, KD8ATU