RE: [HARC] Hey, you Windows afficionados! MorseCat problem.

  • John Wehmer (WB9JSR)
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 12, 2006
      Is the program available online? I would like to try it.

      John JSR

      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 12, 2006
        Here it is, John:

        http://www.morsecat.de/files/morsct_b.zip

        73

        Alan NV8A

        On 01/12/06 11:49 pm John Wehmer (WB9JSR) wrote:

        > Is the program available online? I would like to try it.

        >> Can't get the MorseCat program that has been "officially endorsed" for
        >> the class to run under WinXP. The READMEFIRST.TXT file doesn't even
        >> claim that the program runs under XP -- only 3.1, 95, 98 and ME. The
        >> program is no longer being developed or supported, so there is no
        >> XP-compatible version.

        <Snip>
      • John Wehmer (WB9JSR)
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 13, 2006
          Alan, the program is an older “16 bit” application. 32 bit XP should be able to run the older applications. I tried it on two
          different XP computers and the program worked just fine.

          I found this article by searching google on your error message: http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/1453

          I have attached my copy of the two 16 bit configuration files from my c:\windows\system32 folder just in case yours are missing or
          corrupted. The data in the files is very generic, mostly comments, so should work ok.

          73

          John JSR

          On 01/12/06 11:49 pm John Wehmer (WB9JSR) wrote:

          > Is the program available online? I would like to try it.

          >> Can't get the MorseCat program that has been "officially endorsed" for
          >> the class to run under WinXP. The READMEFIRST.TXT file doesn't even
          >> claim that the program runs under XP -- only 3.1, 95, 98 and ME. The
          >> program is no longer being developed or supported, so there is no
          >> XP-compatible version.

          <Snip>

        • Alan NV8A
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 13, 2006
            Thanks for the pointer, John. The initial page to which you referred me
            didn't have the solution (my installation was of XP+SP2 out of the box
            rather than an older one that was subsequently updated to SP2), so I
            followed the link from there to the M$ support site. For some strange
            reason, COMMAND.COM was nowhere to be found on my system, and restoring
            it from the CD solved the problem.

            BTW, your attachments didn't come through. I think this group is set up
            to remove them.

            73

            Alan NV8A

            On 01/13/06 03:10 am John Wehmer (WB9JSR) wrote:

            > Alan, the program is an older “16 bit” application. 32 bit XP should be able to
            > run the older applications. I tried it on two
            > different XP computers and the program worked just fine.
            >
            > I found this article by searching google on your error message:
            > http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/1453
            >
            > I have attached my copy of the two 16 bit configuration files from my
            > c:\windows\system32 folder just in case yours are missing or
            > corrupted. The data in the files is very generic, mostly comments, so should
            > work ok.
          • Tom Dudenhofer
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 7, 2006
              Hello..

              Could someone assist me in getting started on using the club digipeater. I
              do not know anything about how to use it, access it, etc. Would appreciate
              some beginner tips..

              Thanks..

              Tom Dudenhofer

              KD8JX