Hey, you Windows afficionados! MorseCat problem.

  • Alan NV8A
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 12, 2006
      Can't get the MorseCat program that has been "officially endorsed" for
      the class to run under WinXP. The READMEFIRST.TXT file doesn't even
      claim that the program runs under XP -- only 3.1, 95, 98 and ME. The
      program is no longer being developed or supported, so there is no
      XP-compatible version.

      I tried the compatibility mode thing, but whatever I do I get an error
      box headed "16 bit Windows Subsystem" followed by the message:

      "config.nt. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and
      Microsoft Windows applications. [Gee! Who would have thought it? M$
      Windows is not suitable for running M$ Windows applications. AB] Choose
      'Close' to terminate the application."

      Is there some other program Jeanette can use with these same text files?

      (Note: it's only a month or so ago that I replaced Win98SE on the shack
      computer by WinXP because the author of Ham Radio Deluxe said that he
      doesn't always test updates with anything older than XP and probably
      will officially declare pre-XP versions of Windows to be unsupported
      when the next version is released.)

      Alan NV8A
    • John Wehmer (WB9JSR)
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 12, 2006
        Is the program available online? I would like to try it.

        John JSR

[...]

        Visit http://www.hollandarc.org for the latest Holland Amateur Radio Club News, Information and Fellowship!

        _____

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        _____

      • Alan NV8A
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 12, 2006
          Here it is, John:

          http://www.morsecat.de/files/morsct_b.zip

          73

          Alan NV8A

          On 01/12/06 11:49 pm John Wehmer (WB9JSR) wrote:

          > Is the program available online? I would like to try it.

          >> Can't get the MorseCat program that has been "officially endorsed" for
          >> the class to run under WinXP. The READMEFIRST.TXT file doesn't even
          >> claim that the program runs under XP -- only 3.1, 95, 98 and ME. The
          >> program is no longer being developed or supported, so there is no
          >> XP-compatible version.

          <Snip>
        • John Wehmer (WB9JSR)
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 13, 2006
            Alan, the program is an older “16 bit” application. 32 bit XP should be able to run the older applications. I tried it on two
            different XP computers and the program worked just fine.

            I found this article by searching google on your error message: http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/1453

            I have attached my copy of the two 16 bit configuration files from my c:\windows\system32 folder just in case yours are missing or
            corrupted. The data in the files is very generic, mostly comments, so should work ok.

            73

            John JSR

            On 01/12/06 11:49 pm John Wehmer (WB9JSR) wrote:

            > Is the program available online? I would like to try it.

            >> Can't get the MorseCat program that has been "officially endorsed" for
            >> the class to run under WinXP. The READMEFIRST.TXT file doesn't even
            >> claim that the program runs under XP -- only 3.1, 95, 98 and ME. The
            >> program is no longer being developed or supported, so there is no
            >> XP-compatible version.

            <Snip>

          • Alan NV8A
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 13, 2006
              Thanks for the pointer, John. The initial page to which you referred me
              didn't have the solution (my installation was of XP+SP2 out of the box
              rather than an older one that was subsequently updated to SP2), so I
              followed the link from there to the M$ support site. For some strange
              reason, COMMAND.COM was nowhere to be found on my system, and restoring
              it from the CD solved the problem.

              BTW, your attachments didn't come through. I think this group is set up
              to remove them.

              73

              Alan NV8A

              On 01/13/06 03:10 am John Wehmer (WB9JSR) wrote:

              > Alan, the program is an older “16 bit” application. 32 bit XP should be able to
              > run the older applications. I tried it on two
              > different XP computers and the program worked just fine.
              >
              > I found this article by searching google on your error message:
              > http://www.worldstart.com/tips/tips.php/1453
              >
              > I have attached my copy of the two 16 bit configuration files from my
              > c:\windows\system32 folder just in case yours are missing or
              > corrupted. The data in the files is very generic, mostly comments, so should
              > work ok.
            • Tom Dudenhofer
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 7 6:18 AM
                Hello..

                Could someone assist me in getting started on using the club digipeater. I
                do not know anything about how to use it, access it, etc. Would appreciate
                some beginner tips..

                Thanks..

                Tom Dudenhofer

                KD8JX