Another great QRP story -

  • Pete Hoffswell .web.
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2001
      Hello friends!

      The reports are trickling in in the last few days of
      Pete's QRP Challenge.

      Stay tuned to
      http://www.qsl.net/n9ssa/qrpchallenge.html for updated
      results.

      I hope you can take a second to try a bit of QRP.

      Here's another testomonial to the greatness of QRP!
      Thanks Jim.

      --- James and Heidi Wiersma <wiersma@...>
      wrote:
      > From: "James and Heidi Wiersma"
      > <wiersma@...>
      > To: <n9ssa@...>
      > Subject: QRP Challenge Signal Report
      > Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 22:27:48 -0400
      >
      > Well Pete, I don't know what to say....this QRP
      > thing works!
      >
      > Being one of those newbie "low-code" Generals, I
      > didn't even think about trying to make contacts with
      > low power. But alas the plot begins!
      >
      > Since it was such a beautiful day, I thought I'd
      > throw up my 17m dipole I had constructed about a
      > month ago. After a few times bringing it down,
      > "cut-n-tuning", and hoisting it back up I contacted
      > Rich WA7ND in Oregon... After rag chewing with him
      > for awhile about audio quality, I asked him if he'd
      > give me a signal report at lower power...
      > Sooo....to make a long story short we went from 100
      > watts down to 50 (S8 on his meter), 25 (S7), 10
      > (S7), 5 (S7), then 1 watt (S3 [1763mpw]), and then
      > 500 mw (S1 but readable [3526mpw])! I simply
      > couldn't believe it. That was probably the most fun
      > I've had on HF since field day last year. Thanks
      > for sponsoring the contest, the QSO details are
      > below...
      >

      > From James Wiersma - KC8OPV (grid EN62ws)
      > April 28, 2001, 2303z - 2332z
      > WA7ND - Sisters, OR (Grid CN93gu)
      > 18.117 MHz - 17m SSB 1 watt
      > 1763 Miles per Watt
      > (note: I'll "officially" submit one watt)
      >

      > Thanks, Pete, for putting on a fun little challenge!
      >
      > 73,
      > James Wiersma, KC8OPV

      =====
      - Pete Hoffswell