A fine time at Tulip Time

  • Tom VanderMel
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2004
      I ehco a great time was had by all in Holland today. Thanks to all that helped. Tom KB8VEE

      Greetings All,

      I used to put fortune telling and weather prediction in the same category until I discovered that there was some scientific background to fortune telling.

      With a weather prediction gloomy enough to scare off the Grant High School marching band for the day, it was a great pleasure to receive a big nyah-nyah from Mother Nature to the National Weather Service Saturday afternoon. While under prediction of thunderstorms, a 70 percent chance of rain and several million wet tulips, the Parade Marshals were enjoying the ride back to Holland High perched on and in brand new Chrysler convertibles with the tops down basking under sunny skies and 70 degree temperatures. For the second year in a row.

      It is an unwary public that is concealed from the fact that all the gazillions of dollars worth of equipment we use to study weather is much akin to using the same tools to study squirrels and predict which way they will turn next. It is also an unwary public that is concealed from the fact that the most accurate weather information comes from guys and gals in mini-vans, most of whom are referred to as KC8 something or other for free. And it is with great pride that I am associated with those bearers of callsigns and antenna laden vehicles.

      The Tulip Time parade was great this year. This was the seventy fifth Tulip Time parade. The first was in 1929. I really want to thank all of you on the list that helped out. It is much easier to ask for assistance from the other counties when we have a record of giving that assistance when asked. I hope you all had as good of a time as I did. Our hosts treated us very well and I look forward to helping out again next year.

      73,

      Mark
      Mark A. Derby
      Amateur Call Sign KB8UFF