AMATEUR RADIO EVENTS, Grand Rapids Area, January 2004

  • Tom VanderMel
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2004
      HAPPY NEW YEAR

      The following events are scheduled in the Grand Rapids area for January
      2004
      and beyond. Anyone interested are welcome at these events.
      See note at end of listings to notify of corrections and ADDITIONS.

      (ARRL Hamfest) Lowell Saturday, January 3, 2004. "NEW YEAR HAMFEST" Lowell
      High School. Spr: ARGYL
      9AM - 1PM, vendor setup Friday evening 7-10PM and Saturday morning 6-9AM
      Adm: $5, K-12 students free. Tables: 5' round $5, 8' rectangle $8. Info,
      contact Al Eckman WW8WW (616)897-7659 or mailto:Aeckman@...
      VE Exams at 10AM, walk-ins. $12 exam fee to ARRL-VEC
      Lowell High School, 11700 Vergennes, Lowell/Vergennes Township.
      Talk-in 146.62-(94.8Hz)

      WHO SAYS YOU CAN'T SHOP FOR HAM GEAR IN GRAND RAPIDS?
      Listings for hamfests and conventions in North America can be found at
      http://www.arrl.org/hamfests.html

      The next meeting of the Grand Rapids Amateur Radio Association (GRARA) is
      Friday, January 2, 7PM, at the American Red Cross building, 1050 Fuller Ave
      NE between the Ford I-196 expressway and Leonard ST. Talk-in
      147.26+(94.8Hz)
      http://www.w8dc.org/ mailto:officer@...

      The W8DC ham shack at the Red Cross building is open for use Wednesdays
      7:15PM to about 9 or after. Be sure to have a copy of your license if you
      wish to operate. mailto:n8dgd@...

      This Month's VE Amateur Radio license exams, besides at the New Year
      Hamfest, is Friday, January 9, 6:30PM, at the Red Cross Building. All
      Walk-ins.
      http://www.w8dc.org/ve.htm

      DAPR, the Downtown Amateur Packet Radio Group of Grand Rapids, meets for
      breakfast the Saturday after the first Friday of each month, January 3, at
      8AM. New Beginnings Restaurant, 1455 Michigan St NE. Use the Fuller exit
      (turn south) off of I-196 then go east on Michigan. "Talk-in" is on
      146.760/R. Anyone
      interested in digital modes is invited to attend. Contact
      mailto:n8lrf@... or mailto:w8ipn@... for more information.

      The monthly meeting of the Michigan Amateur Radio Alliance (MARA) is
      Wednesday January 7, 7:30PM, at the Steepletown building,SW corner of 5th
      St
      and Davis NW. Talk-in 145.23-(94.8Hz) http://www.w8usa.org
      mailto:w8usa@...

      The monthly meeting of the Lowell Amateur Radio Club (LARC) is Saturday,
      January 10. 9AM social, 10AM meeting at Lowell City Airport, 730 Lincoln
      Lake Ave SE just north of Lowell between Main St (Hwy M-21) and Vergennes
      St. Talk-in 145.27-(94.8Hz) http://www.qsl.net/w8lrc
      mailto:w8lrc@...

      West Michigan Traffic Net meets Sundays,Mondays,Wednesdays and Friday
      nights
      at 9pm on 145.27. The purpose of this net is to handle NTS Traffic coming
      into West Michigan. All are welcome to check in. We also are an inlet for
      outgoing traffic as well.
      The other net is the informal 6mtr AM net that meets every Sunday from
      8-9am. This net originates in Grand rapids.

      NEW HAMS DINNER, Saturday, February 7, 6PM
      Announcing the nineth annual WELCOME NEW HAMS, NEW TO THE AREA HAMS, AND
      THE
      REST OF US, GET OUTTA THE CABIN DINNER
      At OLD COUNTRY BUFFET, 785 Center Dr NW, Grand Rapids-Walker / Alpine Twp.

      From the I-96 expressway, exit Alpine Ave Hwy M-37 north (exit 30). Go
      first
      traffic light (Center Dr), turn right / east. When arriving, go through the
      normal line, then go directly to the L shape area in the back unless you
      are
      a new ham or new area move-in ham since last year's dinner. If you are new,
      meet with club representative at the entrance, sponsoring organizations
      want
      this to be our treat!

      BRING YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHER, FRIENDS, and the KIDS can come too! Dress
      casual.
      LET THE NEW ONES KNOW WE WELCOME THEM, and enjoy each other's company
      without the need to split so not to miss that hamfest deal! And you don't
      want to miss out on the door prizes, nothing spectacular like a new rig,
      but
      a prize is a prize. We'll have a good time!

      Buffet style. Cost is about $10. No reservations, just show up.
      Questions, contact Doug KC8EGM kc8egm@... (616)363-4692
      Jointly sponsored by:
      Lowell Amateur Radio Club http://www.qsl.net/w8lrc
      Grand Rapids Amateur Radio Association http://www.w8dc.org and
      Michigan Amateur Radio Alliance http://www.w8usa.org

      The annual WEST MICHIGAN HAM OF THE YEAR AWARD, recognizing someone in the
      area for exceptional service to the ham community and public, is presented
      at this dinner. For more information and/or to make a nomination, visit
      http://www.w8usa.org/HOYINTRO.htm

      I cannot promote events I don't know about. Send any event information,
      updates, or corrections you have to
      mailto:jamelar@...?subject=AR_events

      73 Jack NY8D