SKYWARN Recognition Day begins December 6, (0000 UTC)

  • Rick Elushik
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 5, 2003
      FYI...Rick, N8GGO.

      SKYWARN Recognition Day begins tomorrow (0000 UTC
      December 6, 2003). One final station joined this morning,
      so welcome to the NWS office in Williston, North Dakota.
      That brings the final total number of stations to 116. Great!
      The final updates have been made to the web site
      (hamradio.noaa.gov). The endorsement checklist has been
      released. Some people have stated that the web site does
      not display properly in the Netscape browser. Our webmaster
      corrected the problem.

      Here are a few quick last points:

      - As you know, there are no assigned frequencies for
      this event. The bands can become crowded - especially
      Saturday morning when a number of nets are on the
      the air. Stations may go to the extra portion of the bands
      when the general portion is crowded and no clear frequencies
      can be found. Remember to return to the general portion
      when frequencies become free. Also, the control operator
      must have extra class privileges to go to those parts of the band.

      - A check of the latest weather maps show that conditions could be
      tough in the mid Atlantic and southern New England states Friday
      and Saturday. Remember, be safe. If conditions do not allow you

      string antennas or do other station set/up, that's fine. Also, you
      may
      be asked to provide SKYWARN operations in real time. Of course,
      I ask that you do so. A number of stations did not make it on the
      air last year due to a severe ice storm, so it's not a big deal.
      Just let me know if you can't get on the air.

      - Remember to keep a log of the stations you contact.

      ...And, finally, thanks to all of you for making this a success. I'll
      be around tomorrow to answer any last minute questions.
      Have fun...and I hope to hear many of you on the air Friday night
      and Saturday!

      Scott Mentzer - N0QE