  • rafaviator
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 3, 2003
      by Ken Groom - ZR5AAD/W8

      Ladies and Gentleman,

      As this year draws to a close it's a good time to reflect upon
      what we, Holland Amateur Radio Club, have accomplished these past
      twelve months. In January when I took charge at the helm of this
      committee, we envisaged there was going to be a very busy year ahead
      of us all, and how true this speculation turned out to be. That said,
      I would now like to take this opportunity of recapping and sharing
      with you some of those highlights.

      Beginning with our structured monthly meeting format. Introduced
      earlier in January, it has allowed meetings to be run in a timely
      manner, all matters being discussed and concluded on average without
      detaining members late into an evening. Multiple prizes were added
      into our 50/50's draw (HARC is probably now the most well read club
      in Michigan), plus during the year a number of invited knowledgeable
      speakers, presented interesting topics on a wide variety of subjects.
      Outside the conference room, thanks to dedication of our members,
      very successful Field Day and Fox Hunt events were staged, along with
      a tour of Gentex's RF lab. Further, our members added
      international communications capability to the clubs 440 repeater,
      when earlier this year an IRLP node was installed, proving extremely
      popular. HARC's website was revamped and has once again proven to
      be an invaluable reference source whilst continuing to expand. We also
      gained several new members to our ranks, and the next Amateur Radio
      training class is already scheduled for early 2004.

      On a community level, HARC members once again rose to the challenge,
      having been as active as ever participating over a wide variety of
      fronts. Many gave up their time, offered expertise plus provided
      equipment for emergency communications during such events as Tulip
      Time for American Red Cross, Ottawa County HazMat drill, Muskegon Air
      Show, MS150, Zeeland Community Hospital's Pumpkin Fest, Skywarn,
      O.C.E.C drills plus responding to Search and Rescue call outs. Our
      clubs VHF / UHF repeaters performed faultlessly during all exercises
      and continue to prove their worth in times of need.

      Despite a recent slump within the economy, prudent monetary and
      fiscal policies, combined with our Treasurers diligence, ensured
      HARC's clubs financial situation has remained sound, and
      continued to show steady growth this past year.

      Moving on to what surely was our biggest challenge in 2003, ever
      member can reflect with pride upon the recent excellent ARRL / HARC
      State Convention plus Banquet, hosted by our club. What an
      accomplishment! All those many long hours put in by so many of you
      really paid off. I've heard nothing but highly complimentary
      feedback from both exhibitors and visitors alike, ever since. Many
      visitors were amazed upon seeing, besides a full house of vendors,
      various Emergency services, U.S. Coast Guard plus Military
      representatives participating. Personally I believe we really
      "raised the bar" to a new level in terms of what future Swaps
      will be like in this region from now on. My congratulations to you

      2003 was a really great year for Amateur Radio. No doubt 2004 will be
      even more exciting. In closing, I would like to take this opportunity
      now to thank my committee for their steadfast assistance, enthusiasm
      and dedication. Your wonderful support made my job so much easier.
      And last, but by no means least, I'd like to thank you, the
      membership, each and every one. It has indeed been both a great honor
      and a privilege for me, to have served and worked with you.

      H.A.R.C President
      Holland, Michigan.
      December, 2003.