K5 Repair Issues

  • ink_blot2001
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 14, 2008
      I'm new to this group, so I would like to say hello to everyone out there! I purchased a
      used K5, without a working backlight, a few months ago. I was forced to program with a
      flashlight. I finally got to a point where I decided to replace the backlight myself. I
      ordered a backlight from one place, and decided to purchase the last version of ROMs
      available from Kawai, as the keyboard was using v1.0.

      The problem started after I installed the new backlight. After soldering the two
      connections, I reinstalled all the PCBs, and turned on my K5, eager to see the "new"
      display. Nothing happened. I didn't even get any sound!

      The connections I made were clean. I might have left the iron on the board a tad long, but
      could overheating a part on the display board cause the entire keyboard to stop function?
      I double checked to see if I may have created a short, but everything looked fine, and the
      fuses still looked good. I did notice what appeared to be rust on the connections to a
      raised white box located on the right side of the instrument. When closed, it would have
      been located near the PSU. Is this the inverter?

      I would love to get this instrument running again. If anybody could give me any sort of
      advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I was really starting to enjoy this instrument, and it
      would be a shame if it ended up being scrapped for parts. Thanks in advance.

      Ivan
    • Antoine Deschênes
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 14, 2008
        Hi Ivan and welcome to the group,

        2008/1/14, ink_blot2001 <ink_blot2001@...>:
        > I'm new to this group, so I would like to say hello to everyone out there! I purchased a
        > used K5, without a working backlight, a few months ago. I was forced to program with a
        > flashlight.

        Is the LCD really this unreadable for some without backlight? I've
        used my K5 for years this way without problem. Adjusting the contrast
        doesn't solve anything?

        > I finally got to a point where I decided to replace the backlight myself. I
        > ordered a backlight from one place, and decided to purchase the last version of ROMs
        > available from Kawai, as the keyboard was using v1.0.

        I'd be interested to know how much Kawai is selling it, last time I
        heard, it was about $50. I sell some V1.3 ROM chips for $6 (only Kawai
        UK has this version, don't even ask about it in other divisions)

        > The problem started after I installed the new backlight. After soldering the two
        > connections, I reinstalled all the PCBs, and turned on my K5, eager to see the "new"
        > display. Nothing happened. I didn't even get any sound!
        >
        > The connections I made were clean. I might have left the iron on the board a tad long, but
        > could overheating a part on the display board cause the entire keyboard to stop function?
        > I double checked to see if I may have created a short, but everything looked fine, and the
        > fuses still looked good. I did notice what appeared to be rust on the connections to a
        > raised white box located on the right side of the instrument. When closed, it would have
        > been located near the PSU. Is this the inverter?

        Hi, yes, it's the inverter, and it's always failing about at the same
        time as the original backlight.
        The 'rust' you see is probably hardened rosin flux, someone might have
        already tried to fix the solder joints around the inverter, which are
        generally cold/cracking.

        You can find an alternative inverter with matching specs at DigiKey :
        http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=289-1032-ND

        Instructions here : http://kfuenf.org/en/k5_hackpage.html

        > I would love to get this instrument running again. If anybody could give me any sort of
        > advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I was really starting to enjoy this instrument, and it
        > would be a shame if it ended up being scrapped for parts.

        A parts unit? I doubt, everyone's K5 have or had their original
        backlight and inverter failing. If I find enough time one day, I'll
        probably be able to make some kits to fix most of the common problems
        with the synth : Backlight replacement, backlight inverter + adapter
        PCB, cheap ROM upgrades (currently ordering), new output stage (The
        noise level is close to a tape deck), etc.

        Cheers,
        Antoine

        > Thanks in advance.
        >
        > Ivan

      • ink_blot2001
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 14, 2008
          --- In k5synth@yahoogroups.com, "Antoine Deschênes" <antdes45@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=289-1032-ND
          >
          > Instructions here : http://kfuenf.org/en/k5_hackpage.html
          >
          > > I would love to get this instrument running again. If anybody could give me any sort
          of
          > > advice, I would greatly appreciate it. I was really starting to enjoy this instrument, and
          it
          > > would be a shame if it ended up being scrapped for parts.
          >
          > A parts unit? I doubt, everyone's K5 have or had their original
          > backlight and inverter failing. If I find enough time one day, I'll
          > probably be able to make some kits to fix most of the common problems
          > with the synth : Backlight replacement, backlight inverter + adapter
          > PCB, cheap ROM upgrades (currently ordering), new output stage (The
          > noise level is close to a tape deck), etc.

          I only have a little electrical knowledge, and no scematic for the K5, but are you saying
          that having an inverter go bad would prevent the entire instrument from functioning at all?
          I thought it would only prevent the display from working.

          As per the comment about how dark the display is without the backlight, it might be
          readable in a better lighted room. Additionally, I have a multi-tier keyboard stand with a
          Poly-61 sitting above it, as it is lighter than the K5. This also places a shadow over the
          K5.
        • Antoine Deschênes
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 14, 2008
> [...]
            > it
            > > > would be a shame if it ended up being scrapped for parts.
            > >
            > > A parts unit? I doubt, everyone's K5 have or had their original
            > > backlight and inverter failing. If I find enough time one day, I'll
            > > probably be able to make some kits to fix most of the common problems
            > > with the synth : Backlight replacement, backlight inverter + adapter
            > > PCB, cheap ROM upgrades (currently ordering), new output stage (The
            > > noise level is close to a tape deck), etc.
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > > Antoine
            > >
            > > > Thanks in advance.
            > > >
            > > > Ivan
            > > >

            > I only have a little electrical knowledge, and no scematic for the K5, but are you saying
            > that having an inverter go bad would prevent the entire instrument from functioning at all?

            The opposite actually.

            The schematic isn't that important for the inverter. Now that I have a
            working digital camera, I could take a picture of the power supply PCB
            to show you how to connect the new inverter to the PCB.

            > I thought it would only prevent the display from working.
            >
            > As per the comment about how dark the display is without the backlight, it might be
            > readable in a better lighted room.

            Probably, I always use my K5 under daylight / direct light, I never
            thought it could be usable in the dark.

            --
            Antoine Deschênes
          • ink_blot2001
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 15, 2008
> [...]
              saying
              > > that having an inverter go bad would prevent the entire instrument from functioning
              at all?

              > The opposite actually.
              >
              > The schematic isn't that important for the inverter. Now that I have a
              > working digital camera, I could take a picture of the power supply PCB
              > to show you how to connect the new inverter to the PCB.
              >
              > > I thought it would only prevent the display from working.
              > >
              > > As per the comment about how dark the display is without the backlight, it might be
              > > readable in a better lighted room.
              >
              > Probably, I always use my K5 under daylight / direct light, I never
              > thought it could be usable in the dark.
              >
              > > Additionally, I have a multi-tier keyboard stand with a
              > > Poly-61 sitting above it, as it is lighter than the K5. This also places a shadow over

              I apologize, but I must not be understanding you correctly. Maybe if I were talking to you
              in person I would pick things up. After replacing the backlight, my Kawai K5 does not
              work at all. The display does not function at all and there is no sound. Will replacing the
              inverter on the power supply PCB fix this? Thanks for your patience.

              Ivan
            • Antoine Deschênes
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 15, 2008
                Hi, sorry, I thought it was still working and that it was one of the
                usual problems : After a backlight replacement, the LCD still doesn't
                light. The inverter usually dies at the some time as the old EL foil. I
                don't think replacing the inverter will fix your problem. Usually, when
                the inverter starts working poorly, it's due to cold joints in the
                inverter, which are impossible to reach. It shouldn't short things out.
                You'd better remove it from the K5 for the moment and look for blown
                fuses or bad connections, especially between the input PCB and the power
                switch.

                Antoine

                > I apologize, but I must not be understanding you correctly. Maybe if I were talking to you
                > in person I would pick things up. After replacing the backlight, my Kawai K5 does not
                > work at all. The display does not function at all and there is no sound. Will replacing the
                > inverter on the power supply PCB fix this? Thanks for your patience.
                >
                > Ivan

              • ink_blot2001
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 15, 2008
                  --- In k5synth@yahoogroups.com, Antoine Deschênes <antdes45@...> wrote:

                  > Hi, sorry, I thought it was still working and that it was one of the
                  > usual problems : After a backlight replacement, the LCD still doesn't
                  > light. The inverter usually dies at the some time as the old EL foil. I
                  > don't think replacing the inverter will fix your problem. Usually, when
                  > the inverter starts working poorly, it's due to cold joints in the
                  > inverter, which are impossible to reach. It shouldn't short things out.
                  > You'd better remove it from the K5 for the moment and look for blown
                  > fuses or bad connections, especially between the input PCB and the power
                  > switch.
                  >
                  > Antoine
                  >
                  > > I apologize, but I must not be understanding you correctly. Maybe if I were talking to
                  you
                  > > in person I would pick things up. After replacing the backlight, my Kawai K5 does not
                  > > work at all. The display does not function at all and there is no sound. Will replacing
                  the
                  > > inverter on the power supply PCB fix this? Thanks for your patience.
                  > >
                  > > Ivan

                  I checked around inside. Apparently one of the wires connected to the power switch was
                  disconnected. I re-soldered it. That almost seems as bad as forgetting to plug it in. After
                  turning it on, I noticed two things: the backlight I just installed does not work, and I can't
                  see the text when I look directly down at the display. I don't remember the latter being
                  the case prior to my "repair". I realize that the backlight not working signifies the inverter
                  is bad. What about the text? I now need to look at the display at a slight angle. This isn't
                  an issue, but I don't understand why this is.

                  Also, any information, like where it is located and what it looks like, about the inverter
                  would be appreciated. An image would be wonderful. I checked out the link you posted,
                  but would like more information before I try "fixing" the keyboard anymore.

                  Ivan
                • Antoine Deschênes
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 15, 2008
                    Yep, when the power switch wire broke on my K5, I searched for three
                    days why my K5 wasn't powering on ;-).

                    To change the viewing angle of the LCD, you can adjust the CONTRAST
                    knob on the back of the synth to make it more comfortable.

                    The inverter is the "Nichia" branded white box on the power supply
                    board you talked about in a previous mail. I'll post a picture (if I
                    think about it) and try to tell you how to connect the new inverter (I
                    didn't buy a new inverter)

                    --
                    Antoine Deschênes
                  • BJM
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 15, 2008
                      i can empathize with the disappointment of the LCD installation. I picked up a new LCD for my K5M and have been hesitant to install it due to some of those "unknowns" that might come up. If any diagrams, sequential steps, associated problems of the installation were identified for the group and posted that would be great. It seems like the LCD is one of the major problems with this fantastic instrument. I follow along with the group e-mail, and only speak up every now and then and this seemed like a good time. I would really like to have the knowledge to successfully get that LCD installed.

                      Bruce

                      2008/1/15, ink_blot2001 <ink_blot2001@ yahoo.com>:

                      I checked around inside. Apparently one of the wires connected to the power switch was
                      > disconnected. I re-soldered it. That almost seems as bad as
                      forgetting to plug it in. After
                      > turning it on, I noticed two things: the
                      backlight I just installed does not work, and I can't
                      > see the text when
                      I look directly down at the display. I don't remember the latter being

                      the case prior to my "repair". I realize that the backlight not working signifies the inverter
                      > is bad. What about the text? I now need to look
                      at the display at a slight angle. This isn't
                      > an issue, but I don't
                      understand why this is.

                      > Also, any information, like where it is
                      located and what it looks like, about the inverter
                      > would be appreciated.
                      An image would be wonderful. I checked out the link you posted,
                      > but
                      would like more information before I try "fixing" the keyboard anymore.

                      > Ivan
                      >

                      > Yahoo!
                      Groups Links

                      --
                      Antoine Deschênes

                    • Antoine Deschênes
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 16, 2008
                        Hi Bruce, it's hard to find two identical LCDs. We'd need more
                        information about the one you just bought to be able to give out more
                        details.

                        Antoine

                      • BJM
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 16, 2008
                          Antoine,

                          I bought the LCD from Telesis. I went through the directions that were provided by CD from Telesis. The directions were general in nature (they sell other brands of LCDs). I saw descrepancies from what was in the documentation and actually in the K5M.

                          I work with computers but I hesitate to move forward on the LCD when the directions are not what I am seeing, especially when it requires soldering.

                          • The size of the tip of the soldering gun and the type of solder recommendations are other questions I would have. I
                          • How would I know if the inverter should be replaced?
                          • Are there any diagrams of the installation?
                          If someone has put in one of the Telesis LCDs in your K5M, your experience would be appreciated.
                          My K5 keyboard has a good strong LCD, I suspect it may have been replaced before I bought it.

                          I am hearing of people programming the K5s by flashlight.A good strong clipon music light on the rack, or on a rack ear, has helped.

                          Hopefully I will replace the LCD, with your help.

                          Thanks for listening.

                          Bruce

                          BJM a écrit :

                          > i can empathize with
                          the disappointment of the LCD installation. I
                          > picked up a new LCD for
                          my K5M and have been hesitant to install it
                          > due to some of those
                          "unknowns" that might come up. If any diagrams,
                          > sequential steps,
                          associated problems of the installation were
                          > identified for the group
                          and posted that would be great. It seems like
                          > the LCD is one of the
                          major problems with this fantastic instrument. I
                          > follow along with the
                          group e-mail, and only speak up every now and
                          > then and this seemed like
                          a good time. I would really like to have the
                          > knowledge to successfully
                          get that LCD installed.

                          > Bruce

                          power switch wire broke on my K5, I searched for three
                          > days why my K5
                          wasn't powering on ;-).

                          > To change the viewing angle of the LCD,
                          you can adjust the CONTRAST
                          > knob on the back of the synth to make it
                          more comfortable.

                          > The inverter is the "Nichia" branded white box
                          on the power supply
                          > board you talked about in a previous mail. I'll post
                          a picture (if I
                          > think about it) and try to tell you how to connect the
                          new inverter (I
                          > didn't buy a new inverter)
                          >
                          > 2008/1/15,
                          ink_blot2001 <ink_blot2001@ yahoo.com

                          <mailto:ink_ blot2001% 40yahoo.com> >:

                          I checked around inside. Apparently one of the wires connected to
                          > the
                          power switch was
                          > > disconnected. I re-soldered it. That almost seems
                          as bad as
                          > forgetting to plug it in. After
                          > > turning it on, I
                          noticed two things: the backlight I just installed
                          > does not work, and I
                          can't
                          > > see the text when I look directly down at the display. I
                          don't
                          > remember the latter being
                          > > the case prior to my
                          "repair". I realize that the backlight not
                          > working signifies the
                          inverter
                          > > is bad. What about the text? I now need to look at the
                          display at a
                          > slight angle. This isn't
                          > > an issue, but I
                          don't understand why this is.

                          > > Also, any information,
                          like where it is located and what it looks
                          > like, about the
                          inverter
                          > > would be appreciated. An image would be wonderful. I
                          checked out the
                          > link you posted,
                          > > but would like more
                          information before I try "fixing" the keyboard
                          > anymore.
                          > >
                          > > Ivan
                          > >

                          > > Yahoo! Groups Links
                          > >

                          > --
                          > Antoine Deschênes

                        • Antoine Deschênes
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 16, 2008
                            Hi, the LCD shouldn't be failing unless there's a major problem.

                            Only the backlight, which is replaceable, usually needs a replacement as well as the inverter. If you're able to read what's on the LCD display when the room is well lit or with a flashlight and you adjust the contrast button correctly, all it needs is a backlight replacement. (Only two pins to solder, not >16)

                            To know when the inverter is failing, you have a few options :
                            1. Change the backlight first, if it doesn't work, change the inverter.
                            2. There's no whine noise coming from it.
                            3. Change it, it will fail anyways if it's the original one.

                            Don't use lead-free solder in there, it's only going to cause problems with time (You can't mix both types, and the K5 was built with SnPb solder). You can use some Sn60/Pb40, Sn63/Pb37 or Sn60/Pb36/Ag4 type. Use solder with a rosin flux core, you will not have to use separate flux and you will not need to clean it off after.

                            As for the iron tip, what's your soldering iron?

                            Antoine

                            --
                            Antoine Deschênes
                          • BJM
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 20, 2008
                              Antoine,

                              I can read the LCD , so I am guessing the inverter is all right for now. I have the Telesis backlight already and was wondering if there is a diagram of the two pins that I would need to solder?

                              Do you think they would have the solder and flux at Radio Shack?

                              Are there are any good diagrams of this procedure that would be great.

                              Thanks for your help so far.

                              Bruce

                              --
                              Antoine Deschênes

                            • Antoine Deschênes
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 20, 2008
                                Hi Bruce,

                                OK, so you're not attempting to replace the LCD but the backlight. The inverter is only providing high voltage for the backlight. The actual LCD works off the ribbon wire.

                                I guess I should explain things a bit :
                                The LCD and backlight are two separate things making the actual LCD module. The LCD normally has a grey background and displays the pixels. Same thing as a calculator. If you use a light and adjust the contrast knob properly, you should see it well. Since the LCD is semi-transparent, it's possible to have backlighting behind it, so you don't need any light. It's usually an EL foil that works at 120V AC at 400Hz. The inverter is there to convert the low voltage to the proper AC voltage and frequency used by the EL foil. The LCD is powered by 5V and should be working forever unless the glass panel is broken. But, the EL foils degrade over time, and this is what is happening with the K5. The inverter isn't supposed to fail, but in the case of the K5, it fails because there are poor solders joints inside of the inverter, which is stuck in epoxy into a plastic case (can't be repaired, only replaced).

                                To connect the new backlight, there are two wires (green and violet) going from the power supply board to the LCD. One wire connects to one of the pins, and the other to another pin (Which wire goes where isn't important) If the new backlight is an exact replacement, you should be able to unsolder two pins from the old one and connect the new one at the same place.

                                RadioShack should have the solder make sure you specify rosin-core leaded solder though. I think I wasn't clear, you don't need flux if you use rosin core solder. The rosin is the flux, and it's inside the solder wire.

                                I'll try to take pictures, but I'm a bit stuck in time right now with lots of projects and things to do. If you have already unscrewed the LCD module from the cover once, you'll see it's probably easier than you think with the information I provided you. The green and violet wires are connecting to two traces on the LCD circuit board. If you follow them, you'll see the two pins of the original backlight soldered right there.

                                One other thing, you talked about a soldering "gun" in the last mail. Is it really a solder gun (high wattage, heavy tasks) or an iron (20-70 watts, has a pointy tip)? How many watts is it? I have doubts because you asked about the tip. About any soldering iron stock tip should work there, you're not going to do a miniature solder job.

                                Antoine

                                --
                                Antoine Deschênes
                              • Mark Lewis
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 21, 2008
                                  If you are having problems with the backlight and need instructions and photos, this link may be helpful to you:

                                  It is titled: Kawai K5 LCD Backlight Repair Guide

                                  I hope that helps, best wishes!
                                  -Mark
                                • BJM
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Jan 21, 2008
                                    Mark,

                                    That does help very much. And thanks to Antoine as well.

                                    Bruce