K5 Fourier/Sample Analysis Software

  • Mark Lewis
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 8, 2007
      Hello,

      First post... maybe this has been mentioned before? Recently? I don't
      know...

      I know there had been some programs available in the past but was
      wondering if there is ANYTHING currently available, especially for
      the Macintosh. I would consider a PC version if necessary as I have
      access to a P4 but prefer something for the Mac.

      I used to have a program, I believe it was from James Chandler in
      Tennessee, that converted Ensoniq Mirage sample..... I *think* I
      still have that in my old Mac SE but don't have a Mirage :-) (nor
      documentation for the Mirage)

      If the software is no longer available I wonder if there is any
      source code or fragments of source code available. I haven't
      programmed in years but would like to be able to
      do some type of sample conversion/Fourier analysis for the K5.

      Thanks!
      -Mark
    • terry cano
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 9, 2007
        I remember James
        I bought some of his sounds...Atari format
        I believe or maybe early PC. Some are still loaded in
        my K5
        Terry

        Looking for last minute shopping deals?
      • Antoine DeschĂȘnes
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 9, 2007
          Hi Mark,

          as fas as I remember, no one asked for a program on the Mac.

          In the files section, there's one for Windows that requires .NET 2.0
          Framework. It's called Wave Analyzer and is made by one of the members
          here, but he lost the source code a long time ago.

          In the files section there are four K5 editors for Atari. I haven't
          tried them all, but there's probably at least one that supports wave
          analyzing. You should be able to get an Atari ST emulator on the Mac to
          be able to use these. Don't expect WAV support though.

          The other option you have, which has been talked about, is to use
          Vertigo Software Synth (
          http://www.sequencer.de/syns/discodsp/Vertigo.html ) to analyze the file
          and you could copy / paste the value of each harmonics in the K5.
          Unfortunately for you, it works only on PC as well.

          If you can find a program that is able to do analysis and output values
          for each harmonics, that should work, altough you will probably have to
          copy every harmonics one by one. If the program in question can save the
          analyzed harmonics to a patch or SysEx file, it should be possible to
          convert it for the K5.

          Note that Syntonyx Overtone has the capability, but you need a PC with
          an MPU-401 compatible interface (Most motherboard-integrated joystick
          ports) that runs on DOS and you need SoundForge to convert the sample
          you want to analyze to one of the two archaic formats Overtone is able
          to work with.

          Now if we talk about newer software, I know Emagic SoundDiver has a
          librarian for the K5, but no editor. No one ever bothered writing one. I
          don't know if Apple decided to integrate SoundDiver in another program
          when buying Emagic, if so, maybe there's one now. Also, SoundQuest's
          MidiQuest seems to have an interesting K5 editor, but again, I don't
          know if it has FFT analysis provided.

          So... There doesn't seem to be anything running on a Mac... Maybe a Java
          app could be released one day though.
          The Java-based Kfuenf librarian was supposed to become an editor, but
          unfortunately, it's author (Klaus Tzieply) doesn't have much time to
          work on it.

          Antoine

          Mark Lewis a Ă©crit :
          > Hello,
          >
          > First post... maybe this has been mentioned before? Recently? I don't
          > know...
          >
          > I know there had been some programs available in the past but was
          > wondering if there is ANYTHING currently available, especially for
          > the Macintosh. I would consider a PC version if necessary as I have
          > access to a P4 but prefer something for the Mac.
          >
          > I used to have a program, I believe it was from James Chandler in
          > Tennessee, that converted Ensoniq Mirage sample..... I *think* I
          > still have that in my old Mac SE but don't have a Mirage :-) (nor
          > documentation for the Mirage)
          >
          > If the software is no longer available I wonder if there is any
          > source code or fragments of source code available. I haven't
          > programmed in years but would like to be able to
          > do some type of sample conversion/Fourier analysis for the K5.
          >
          > Thanks!
          > -Mark

        • BJM
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 9, 2007
            Hi,

            I also know James Chandler and had the chance to talk with him about his program back in the 80s. I believe I saw his program here in the K5 User Group files awhile back. Some nice work with Fourier Synthesis and the K5.

            Bruce