Lost....

  • bjork011963
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 2, 2007
      I got my K-5 yesterday and was trying to load some programs into it
      using a couple of sys ex utilities that I have including the one
      offered on here in the files section. I use a usb midi connector to go
      from my computer to the K-5 as I do with my other synths but cannot get
      the K-5 to accept any programs. I connected the K-5 to one of my other
      synts to make sure that the midi in was working and it is, the system
      exclusive part is also turned on on the program. Any ideas as to what
      I'm doing wrong? Thanks,Scott
    • Antoine Deschênes
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 2, 2007
        In the MIDI menu on the K5, make sure that RCV and TRS channels are set
        to 1, that OMNI is off, that TRS and RCV Exclusive are on, and that you
        turned off the protect switch next to the MIDI connectors. Also, make
        sure you turn protect ON when you don't transfer or edit sounds as you
        might have to internally reset it. (I haven't tested the latest ROM
        enough to know if it changes something. But, as far as I know, nothing
        bad happened with the new ROM.)

        bjork011963 a écrit :
        > I got my K-5 yesterday and was trying to load some programs into it
        > using a couple of sys ex utilities that I have including the one
        > offered on here in the files section. I use a usb midi connector to go
        > from my computer to the K-5 as I do with my other synths but cannot get
        > the K-5 to accept any programs. I connected the K-5 to one of my other
        > synts to make sure that the midi in was working and it is, the system
        > exclusive part is also turned on on the program. Any ideas as to what
        > I'm doing wrong? Thanks,Scott

      • Scott
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 3, 2007
          To be honest I didn't know about the inverter, I guess I should change it out too? What does the inverter do? I'll check the banks for that pipe organ sound and if I ever have any spare time I'll try making one myself, fat chance!! ;=)
          Thanks....

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 20, 2007
            Hi Scott,
            I just found that mail...

            The inverter is converting the 6VDC in the PSU to 120VAC 400Hz that the EL backlight needs. www.Kfuenf.org has the guide to replace the inverter and backlight.

            Cheers,
            Antoine

            2007/6/3, Scott <bjork01@...>:
            To be honest I didn't know about the inverter, I guess I should change it out too? What does the inverter do? I'll check the banks for that pipe organ sound and if I ever have any spare time I'll try making one myself, fat chance!! ;=)
            Thanks....

            > Thanks for your help it is greatly appreciated. My mother used to
            > always tell me that people seem to always look for the most difficult
            > solutions before they finally give up and go with the one that's the
            > easiest and most obvious. I had given up yesterday thinking that it
            > just wasn't going to happen because I had done everything I knew to do
            > and I've been doing this a long time then it struck me that the little
            > light on my midi interface only showed incoming but no outgoing and
            > that's what made me reinstall the drivers. Today it'll probably never
            > work again but at least I have these terrific banks with great sounds
            > that I can use. Next, the backlight problem. I can see the display but
            > it just bugs me to have to squint and knowing that it doesn't work.
            > Telesis, get ready!!!
            What were you planning to do, change the backlight alone or the inverter
            too? I can tell you that both have probably failed. There's an inverter
            found at DigiKey that works in the synth w/o whining like the original
            one, but it has a different pinout(You'll have to use wire jumpers)
            > Thanks,Scott
            > p.s.- there's this great pipe organ sound one one of the sites and I
            > can't find it amongst my sounds, if you use a pipe organ sound ( for
            > progressive rock it's real important) do you have a favorite?
            It could be in one of the multiple sound banks in the group's files
            section or maybe it's user-made. You could maybe use a waveform analyser
            to get the harmonics and have fun editing the sound to get it back though.

            > p.s.s.- I read something about the availability of ram cards but lost
            > the message, are there some available somewhere?
            Well, you could probably find the card on eBay for an high price if you
            want the Kawai DC-32 logo on it, but I found two or three stores selling
            equivalents, since they are quite common cards. All I need to know is
            the size of the card. Maybe a DC-32 is not 32Kb. I know that an
            oversized card could actually work, but it would be space waste and not
            worth paying the extra money.(I have no idea of the price of these
            cards, I need to get a quote from the store)

            Checked by AVG Free Edition.

            Antoine Deschênes
          • Mark Rauch
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 23, 2007
              Howdy,

              anyone know where I can get a rotary encoder for my K5? Thnax.
              Rig

              --- In k5synth@yahoogroups.com, "Scott" <bjork01@...> wrote:

              > To be honest I didn't know about the inverter, I guess I should
              change it out too? What does the inverter do? I'll check the banks
              for that pipe organ sound and if I ever have any spare time I'll try
              making one myself, fat chance!! ;=)
              > Thanks....

              6/2/2007 5:26 PM

            • Antoine Deschênes
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 23, 2007
                Hi Mark,

                That's the problem finally?

                All I was able to find is that it's an Alps encoder... Not very helpful
                considering almost every encoders are made by them, and by looking at
                their products catalog, I can't find any similar models. If someone has
                a K5 for parts, you might have luck. I just asked Alps about what the
                encoder could be. There's nothing in the service manual about it as well.

                Antoine

                Mark Rauch a écrit :
                > Howdy,
                >
                > anyone know where I can get a rotary encoder for my K5? Thnax.
                > Rig

              • bill bigrig
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 23, 2007
                  Howdy,

                  No, i think it goes beyond that. i also have to find
                  a couple chips.
                  Rig

                  --- Antoine Deschênes <antdes45@...> wrote:

                  > Hi Mark,
                  >
                  > That's the problem finally?
                  >
                  > All I was able to find is that it's an Alps
                  > encoder... Not very helpful
                  > considering almost every encoders are made by them,
                  > and by looking at
                  > their products catalog, I can't find any similar
                  > models. If someone has
                  > a K5 for parts, you might have luck. I just asked
                  > Alps about what the
                  > encoder could be. There's nothing in the service
                  > manual about it as well.
                  >
                  > Antoine
                  >
                  > Mark Rauch a écrit :
                  > > Howdy,
                  > >
                  > > anyone know where I can get a rotary encoder for
                  > my K5? Thnax.
                  > > Rig

                  It's here! Your new message!
                • Antoine Deschênes
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 23, 2007
                    I don't know if a lot of encoders use pulse switches like this one...
                    If I knew one already I could tell you to buy it just to know if it
                    works.

                    You should be able to find the logic chips at Mouser or Digikey.

                    2007/6/23, bill bigrig <billbigrig@...>:
                    > Howdy,
                    >
                    > No, i think it goes beyond that. i also have to find
                    > a couple chips.
                    > Rig
                    >

                    > --- Antoine Deschênes <antdes45@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > Hi Mark,
                    > >
                    > > That's the problem finally?
                    > >
                    > > All I was able to find is that it's an Alps
                    > > encoder... Not very helpful
                    > > considering almost every encoders are made by them,
                    > > and by looking at
                    > > their products catalog, I can't find any similar
                    > > models. If someone has
                    > > a K5 for parts, you might have luck. I just asked
                    > > Alps about what the
                    > > encoder could be. There's nothing in the service
                    > > manual about it as well.
                    > >
                    > > Antoine
                    > >
                    > > Mark Rauch a écrit :
                    > > > Howdy,
                    > > >
                    > > > anyone know where I can get a rotary encoder for
                    > > my K5? Thnax.
                    > > > Rig

                    Antoine Deschênes
                  • bill bigrig
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 24, 2007
                      Howdy,

                      If I knew what pulses the board is looking for to go
                      up or down, I can build 2 pulse generating circuits
                      with a button for down and a button for up.
                      Rig

                      --- Antoine Deschênes <antdes45@...> wrote:

                      > I don't know if a lot of encoders use pulse switches
                      > like this one...
                      > If I knew one already I could tell you to buy it
                      > just to know if it
                      > works.
                      >
                      > You should be able to find the logic chips at Mouser
                      > or Digikey.
                      >
                      > 2007/6/23, bill bigrig <billbigrig@...>:
                      > > Howdy,
                      > >
                      > > No, i think it goes beyond that. i also have to
                      > find
                      > > a couple chips.
                      > > Rig
                      > >

                      > > --- Antoine Deschênes <antdes45@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > > Hi Mark,
                      > > >
                      > > > That's the problem finally?
                      > > >
                      > > > All I was able to find is that it's an Alps
                      > > > encoder... Not very helpful
                      > > > considering almost every encoders are made by
                      > them,
                      > > > and by looking at
                      > > > their products catalog, I can't find any similar
                      > > > models. If someone has
                      > > > a K5 for parts, you might have luck. I just
                      > asked
                      > > > Alps about what the
                      > > > encoder could be. There's nothing in the service
                      > > > manual about it as well.
                      > > >
                      > > > Antoine

                      > for
                      > > > my K5? Thnax.

                      > --
                      > Antoine Deschênes

                      Never miss an email again!
                    • Antoine Deschênes
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jun 24, 2007
                        The encoder would be probably really hard to find. However, you can
                        replace about every components on the board apart from the Kawai
                        custom ICs. Even the NEC V40 CPU should be possible to find.

                        Antoine Deschênes
                      • bill bigrig
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jul 15 11:04 AM
                          Howdy,

                          I just replaced IC 8,9,10,11. Now I got no display at
                          all. Every time you turn it off a line appears across
                          the display, but in a different place each time. any
                          idea where I messed up?

                          === message truncated ===

                        • antdes45
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jul 26 4:47 PM
                            The good chips went at the right places? In the right orientation? Did
                            you cut any traces? Is there a cold solder joint? (Look if solder is
                            there on both sides of the board)

                            --- In k5synth@yahoogroups.com, bill bigrig <billbigrig@...> wrote:

                            > Howdy,
                            >
                            > I just replaced IC 8,9,10,11. Now I got no display at
                            > all. Every time you turn it off a line appears across
                            > the display, but in a different place each time. any
                            > idea where I messed up?
                            > Rig
                            >

                            > --- Antoine Deschênes <antdes45@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > Hi Scott,
                            > > I just found that mail...
                            > >
                            > > The inverter is converting the 6VDC in the PSU to
                            > > 120VAC 400Hz that the EL
                            > > backlight needs. www.Kfuenf.org has the guide to
                            > > replace the inverter and
                            > > backlight.
                            > >
                            > > Cheers,
                            > > Antoine
                            > >
                            > > 2007/6/3, Scott <bjork01@...>:
                            > > >
                            > > > To be honest I didn't know about the inverter, I
                            > > guess I should change it
                            > > > out too? What does the inverter do? I'll check the
                            > > banks for that pipe organ
                            > > > sound and if I ever have any spare time I'll try
                            > > making one myself, fat
                            > > > chance!! ;=)
                            > > > Thanks....

                            user panel and lay it on us.

                          • bill bigrig
                            Message 13 of 13 , Jul 26 5:21 PM
                              howdy,

                              it's possible I overheated some chips. i think i
                              mangled a couple holes on IC 11. I'm going to foder
                              the cips, and sockets. Install the sockets and try to
                              trace connections to the other parts of the board,(if
                              only I had the schematic), anytraces that don't test
                              good, I'll wire point to point. then install chips in
                              the sockets and start again. If that works, then I can
                              start on the 6 bad keys. Provided of course, after
                              putting in a second setof chips, the data wheel
                              decides to start working. If not, i guess I'll try to
                              build a positive/negative clockedpulse generator and
                              see if i can sub it for the data wheel. OR!!!! I'll
                              just cover the whole thing in ducttape with black tape
                              trim and call it "sculpture".
                              Rig