K5

  • Carol
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 17, 2006
      Hi, I'm new to this group and I was wondering how much demand there is
      for a Kawai K5. My father has one and is wanting to part with it. He
      has not ever used it except to learn how it works. He purchased it for
      a class way back in the 80's and the class was cancelled. (he was a
      music/physics teacher in a high school in New York City.)

      Carol
    • resonantorder
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 17, 2006
        The K5 seems to be one of those love/hate syndrome of synths. A full
        keyboard usually goes for 100.00 to 150.00 on ebay. I've seen them sit
        for weeks, and I've also seen them bought in one day. Digital synths
        are not really popular right now - most people are looking for the
        vintage analog synths - but some of us have a great appreciation for
        them. Do you know what operating system is installed? When you turn it
        on, it will flash 1.whatever the version is. The higher the version,
        the more it is worth. If you decide you want to sell it, drop me a
        line, I'm looking for a back up for the one I already have.

        D.

        --- In k5synth@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <w_dykes@...> wrote:

        > Hi, I'm new to this group and I was wondering how much demand there
        is
        > for a Kawai K5. My father has one and is wanting to part with it. He
        > has not ever used it except to learn how it works. He purchased it
        for
        > a class way back in the 80's and the class was cancelled. (he was a
        > music/physics teacher in a high school in New York City.)
        >
        > Carol

      • Antoine Deschênes
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 17, 2006
          About the OS version, you can upgrade it quite easily.

          --- In k5synth@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" wrote:

          > Hi, I'm new to this group and I was wondering how much demand there
          is
          > for a Kawai K5. My father has one and is wanting to part with it. He
          > has not ever used it except to learn how it works. He purchased it
          for
          > a class way back in the 80's and the class was cancelled. (he was a
          > music/physics teacher in a high school in New York City.)
          >
          > Carol

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/QnLolB/TM

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Antoine Deschênes

        • Carol and Bill Dykes
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 18, 2006
            Thanks for the reply. I'll call my Dad tonight and see which version he has. He sent me a color copy of the the brochure on it. I don't think he has ever upgraded it.

            Carol
             At 09:55 PM 7/17/2006, you wrote:

            The K5 seems to be one of those love/hate syndrome of synths. A full
            keyboard usually goes for 100.00 to 150.00 on ebay. I've seen them sit
            for weeks, and I've also seen them bought in one day. Digital synths
            are not really popular right now - most people are looking for the
            vintage analog synths - but some of us have a great appreciation for
            them. Do you know what operating system is installed? When you turn it
            on, it will flash 1.whatever the version is. The higher the version,
            the more it is worth. If you decide you want to sell it, drop me a
            line, I'm looking for a back up for the one I already have.

            D.

            --- In k5synth@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" <w_dykes@...> wrote:

            > Hi, I'm new to this group and I was wondering how much demand there
            is
            > for a Kawai K5. My father has one and is wanting to part with it. He
            > has not ever used it except to learn how it works. He purchased it
            for
            > a class way back in the 80's and the class was cancelled. (he was a
            > music/physics teacher in a high school in New York City.)
            >
            > Carol

          • Dale Lindsay
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 18, 2006
              Really? I was under the impression that it had to be sent back to Kawai for the OS to be upgraded. Could you tell me more?

              Thanks,

              Antoine Deschênes <antdes45@...> wrote:
              About the OS version, you can upgrade it quite easily.

              resonantorder <resonantorder@...> a écrit :
              The K5 seems to be one of those love/hate syndrome of synths. A full
              keyboard usually goes for 100.00 to 150.00 on ebay. I've seen them sit
              for weeks, and I've also seen them bought in one day. Digital synths
              are not really popular right now - most people are looking for the
              vintage analog synths - but some of us have a great appreciation for
              them. Do you know what operating system is installed? When you turn it
              on, it will flash 1.whatever the version is. The higher the version,
              the more it is worth. If you decide you want to sell it, drop me a
              line, I'm looking for a back up for the one I already have.

              D.

              --- In k5synth@yahoogroups.com, "Carol" wrote:

              > Hi, I'm new to this group and I was wondering how much demand there
              is
              > for a Kawai K5. My father has one and is wanting to part with it. He
              > has not ever used it except to learn how it works. He purchased it
              for
              > a class way back in the 80's and the class was cancelled. (he was a
              > music/physics teacher in a high school in New York City.)
              >
              > Carol

              http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/QnLolB/TM

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Antoine Deschênes

              Groups are talking. We’re listening. Check out the handy changes to Yahoo! Groups.

            • Antoine Deschênes
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 18, 2006
                The upgrade was probably not done, about the only way to knowhow to do
                it is by suscribing here or visiting kfuenf.org.

                1.You have to tell Kawai US, open the synth, take a flat screwdriver to
                pull out the ROM, send it to Kawai US, they send you an other chip back.
                2.You can ask the canadian Kawai service center to burn a new ROM for
                you for $20 shipped.
                3.You can program it yourself.

                Carol and Bill Dykes a écrit :
                > Thanks for the reply. I'll call my Dad tonight and see which version
                > he has. He sent me a color copy of the the brochure on it. I don't
                > think he has ever upgraded it.
                >
                > Carol
                > At 09:55 PM 7/17/2006, you wrote:
                >
                >> The K5 seems to be one of those love/hate syndrome of synths. A full
                >> keyboard usually goes for 100.00 to 150.00 on ebay. I've seen them sit
                >> for weeks, and I've also seen them bought in one day. Digital synths
                >> are not really popular right now - most people are looking for the
                >> vintage analog synths - but some of us have a great appreciation for
                >> them. Do you know what operating system is installed? When you turn it
                >> on, it will flash 1.whatever the version is. The higher the version,
                >> the more it is worth. If you decide you want to sell it, drop me a
                >> line, I'm looking for a back up for the one I already have.
                >>
                >> D.
                >>
                >> --- In k5synth@yahoogroups.com <mailto:k5synth%40yahoogroups.com>,
                >> "Carol" <w_dykes@...> wrote:
                >> >
                >> > Hi, I'm new to this group and I was wondering how much demand there
                >> is
                >> > for a Kawai K5. My father has one and is wanting to part with it. He
                >> > has not ever used it except to learn how it works. He purchased it
                >> for
                >> > a class way back in the 80's and the class was cancelled. (he was a
                >> > music/physics teacher in a high school in New York City.)
                >> >
                >> > Carol

              • Simon Kunath
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 18, 2006
                  Hi all,
                  Does anyone know where to get the latest K5 rom in the UK?
                  I emailed Kawai but have had no reply.

                  Great synth, I need to spend more time with my recently aquired one
                  exploring its unusual potentials.

                  Simon
                • Antoine Deschênes
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 18, 2006
                    I already e-mailed Kawai UK and got an answer, they sent me the K5 v1.3
                    ROM file in my e-mail.

                    Strangely, Kawai US thinks that the latest ROM is v1.2

                    If I remember correctly, I had to wait a few weeks to get an answer.

                    Simon Kunath a écrit :
                    > Hi all,
                    > Does anyone know where to get the latest K5 rom in the UK?
                    > I emailed Kawai but have had no reply.
                    >
                    > Great synth, I need to spend more time with my recently aquired one
                    > exploring its unusual potentials.
                    >
                    > Simon

                  • Simon Kunath
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 18, 2006
                      On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 14:24:49 -0400, Antoine Desch?nes
                      <antdes45@...>wrote:

                      >I already e-mailed Kawai UK and got an answer, they sent me the K5 v1.3
                      >ROM file in my e-mail.
                      >
                      >Strangely, Kawai US thinks that the latest ROM is v1.2
                      >
                      >If I remember correctly, I had to wait a few weeks to get an answer.

                      Hi Antoine,
                      thanks for the fast response, would you mind telling me the email
                      address or the Kawai person you got this from.

                      Also, I am confused, I thought one had to change the ROM chip to
                      update the os, how did you receive the upgrade via email and
                      subsequently update the K5 os? Do you have a ROM burner?

                      regards,
                      Simon
                    • Antoine Deschênes
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 18, 2006
                        They sent me an HEX file (Also posted in the files section before) with
                        v1.3 that I will burn using a new Flash ROM with my programmer/burner. I
                        don't have an EPROM (UV erasable) eraser, so that's why I'll buy a flash
                        ROM which is 100% compatible. (Everything in the Files section)

                        About contacting them, the site changed since and I don't have the
                        e-mails anymore so I can't really help you there.