Overtone Again...

  • metaphor20032003
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 20, 2006
      Hello to All:

      I have noticed that the group had been somewhat
      dormant for awhile so I decided to post this message to awake you
      all, at least the moderators :)
      Anyway, first I wanted to thank Antoine Deschenes for his previous
      answer to my related enquiry and at the same time I wanted to
      apologize to him for not doing so before.
      Anyway, I have two issues I wanted to discuss. The first is
      basically just a question:

      (1)Has anyone had any experiences with any of the sounds/patches for
      the K5 that are offered/sold on ebay or would care to elaborate on
      the quality of the sounds?. The active link right now is the
      following:

      http://cgi.ebay.com/Kawai-K1-K3-K4-K5-XD-5-Patches-Manuals-
      More_W0QQitemZ7408738756QQcategoryZ29552QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

      I figured I would ask here because the vendor could be one of the
      members of the group.
      The second question is related to Overtone. Although I now have
      and know of other options as far as editors (e.g. Midi Quest and
      Terzoid Noize) I am still interested in getting Overtone to work
      because I do have tons of sound/patches that I had already
      programmed in Overtone format and I can no longer use them because I
      am "now" having problems with Overtone. Since purchasing Overtone
      years back and acquiring many sounds for it I had abandoned the k5
      for some years and "recently" resurrected it but find myself with no
      way to get it to work with my new settup. I have concluded that
      somehow there is an apparent problem with the buffer of the K5 and
      faster computers. How did I arrive to that conclusion is as
      follows. As I mentioned previously I a chance to try Noize and I
      was unable to use a UBS based Midi interface to talk to the K5 in
      order to upload the sounds residing in the K5. Then, when on the
      same computer I added another fairly "older" interface, this one a
      ISA based MIDIMAN interface, I was able then to talk to the K5 and
      successfully upload the patches in the K5 to Noize in order to be
      able to edit them.
      Previously also I had noticed the same type of apparent Midi
      congestion when I tried to communicate via MIDI with the K5.
      By the way, just as Antoine had mentioned in his reply one of the
      problems with Overtone is that it is a DOS based software program
      and that posses a problem , at least for me right now, in terms of
      ideas/options as to how to interface with it since most newer MIDI
      interfaces are likely to be USB based. So with that in mind, my
      question is:
      (2)Does anyone know of and/or could recommend a fairly inexpensive
      MIDI interface with variable IRQ and port settings that would work
      in DOS and could work with Overtone?

      Thanks in advance;

      metaphor
    • Antoine Deschênes
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 20, 2006
        Hi metaphor,

        metaphor20032003 a écrit :
        > Hello to All:
        >
        > I have noticed that the group had been somewhat
        > dormant for awhile so I decided to post this message to awake you
        > all, at least the moderators :)

        Yes, I get more new member authorization requests than posts...
        > Anyway, first I wanted to thank Antoine Deschenes for his previous
        > answer to my related enquiry and at the same time I wanted to
        > apologize to him for not doing so before.
        > Anyway, I have two issues I wanted to discuss. The first is
        > basically just a question:
        >
        > (1)Has anyone had any experiences with any of the sounds/patches for
        > the K5 that are offered/sold on ebay or would care to elaborate on
        > the quality of the sounds?. The active link right now is the
        > following:
        >
        > http://cgi.ebay.com/Kawai-K1-K3-K4-K5-XD-5-Patches-Manuals-
        > More_W0QQitemZ7408738756QQcategoryZ29552QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
        >
        > I figured I would ask here because the vendor could be one of the
        > members of the group.

        Maybe he could be in "kawaisynths", since there are more than one
        models. I have the impression that they are just the original 11 Kawai
        banks put on a CD-ROM though.

        > The second question is related to Overtone. *SKIP* I have concluded that
        > somehow there is an apparent problem with the buffer of the K5 and
        > faster computers. ... *SKIP*
        > By the way, just as Antoine had mentioned in his reply one of the
        > problems with Overtone is that it is a DOS based software program
        > and that posses a problem , at least for me right now, in terms of
        > ideas/options as to how to interface with it since most newer MIDI
        > interfaces are likely to be USB based. So with that in mind, my
        > question is:
        > (2)Does anyone know of and/or could recommend a fairly inexpensive
        > MIDI interface with variable IRQ and port settings that would work
        > in DOS and could work with Overtone?

        OK, about the timing problems, it's possible because when I used
        Overtone in real DOS mode on my 350MHz, the K5 sometimes stopped
        responding.

        I think that a firmware upgrade to v1.3 would solve my problems, since I
        have 1.0. (And some of the changes in v1.2 are related to MIDI and SysEx
        bugs)

        If you want a MIDI interface, a computer motherboard with an option for
        MIDI thru the joystick port should work. You get an MPU-401-compatible
        port that way. Or, in the version changes included in one of the text
        files in the Overtone ZIP file, there is a possibility to use a serial
        port. I wonder if any of the DIY MIDI port interfaces would work with this.

        But there is a probably simpler solution, which would be to use a DOS
        emulator. There is DOSbox, which can be found here :
        http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/ that supports MPU-401. You can then run
        DOS programs on Windows, Linux or MacOS X. Yes, Win9x could run DOS
        programs, but not Overtone...

        Cheers,
        Antoine
      • Antoine Deschênes
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 20, 2006
          Oh, and when I told that DOSbox was MPU-401 compatible, I meant to say
          that it can emulate it and redirect it to any MIDI device the OS supports.