greetings

  • mg0711
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
      Hello to other K5 enthusiasts;
      I'm going to be upgrading to a Cameleon 5000 additive softsynth.
      So, I Must transfer all of K5 patches to Cameleon useable files.
      To do this, I will have to record a few notes to .wav at pp and
      ff velocity levels. Then, I will import those .wav files to Cameleon.
      I want to compare Cameleon harmonic data with K5m harmonic data
      and see how accurate the transfer was.
      I'll let you all know how it goes.

      Oh, btw I have a copy of the Syntonix Overtone DOS editor for K5m.
    • Antoine Deschênes
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
        Great! Someone else with Syntonyx Overtone. I was the
        only one to have it until now. It's already in the
        files section with the manual.

        All I have to do is to re-post the program with the
        original content from the 4 floppies instead of the
        directory I had on my computer. Do you know what
        version do you have? Mine is 1.04 and the Read.me file
        contains the updates for the manual.

        --- mg0711 <mjgallag@...> a écrit :

        > Hello to other K5 enthusiasts;
        > I'm going to be upgrading to a Cameleon 5000
        > additive softsynth.
        > So, I Must transfer all of K5 patches to Cameleon
        > useable files.
        > To do this, I will have to record a few notes
        > to .wav at pp and
        > ff velocity levels. Then, I will import those .wav
        > files to Cameleon.
        > I want to compare Cameleon harmonic data with
        > K5m harmonic data
        > and see how accurate the transfer was.
        > I'll let you all know how it goes.
        >
        > Oh, btw I have a copy of the Syntonix Overtone DOS
        > editor for K5m.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Antoine Deschênes,
        antdes45@...

        Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
        magasinage.yahoo.ca
      • jmp473
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
          Hey all,

          Me too, me too. I've had Overtone since 1987/88, but my original PC
          has long since died. I downloaded your files Antoine, and almost got
          it working today -with a MPU 401 emulator under XP (VDMSound
          http://sourceforge.net/projects/vdmsound/ ).

          Overtone seems to run fine, but doesn't detect the K5. I'm pretty
          sure the MIDI interface needs to be specified in Overtone. There are
          instructions to set up a batch file in DOS toward the end of the
          section 2.2 Installing OVERTONE in the manual. I tried but it's been
          a long time since I used DOS and it's kinda different using it under XP.

          All that's needed is a batch file to load the emulator and set the
          appropriate MIDI parameters (Appendix A – Supported Hardware,
          /:MPU:330 is the command for MPU-401 using port 330 which VDMSound sez
          it uses). It was still beyond me.

          I don't remember what my Overtone version number was but I think it
          must've been an earlier one. It's on 4.25 floppy. I had become so
          used to programming on the K5 itself that I don't remember using the
          editing features that much. Perhaps the later versions had more
          features and were more useful? I need it for the library feature
          alone, I presently have no backup for my internal patches. Somebody
          stepped on my card a few years back.

          -John

          --- In k5synth@yahoogroups.com, Antoine Deschênes <antdes45@y...> wrote:

          > Great! Someone else with Syntonyx Overtone. I was the
          > only one to have it until now. It's already in the
          > files section with the manual.
          >
          > All I have to do is to re-post the program with the
          > original content from the 4 floppies instead of the
          > directory I had on my computer. Do you know what
          > version do you have? Mine is 1.04 and the Read.me file
          > contains the updates for the manual.
          >
          > --- mg0711 <mjgallag@e...> a écrit :
          >
          > > Hello to other K5 enthusiasts;
          > > I'm going to be upgrading to a Cameleon 5000
          > > additive softsynth.
          > > So, I Must transfer all of K5 patches to Cameleon
          > > useable files.
          > > To do this, I will have to record a few notes
          > > to .wav at pp and
          > > ff velocity levels. Then, I will import those .wav
          > > files to Cameleon.
          > > I want to compare Cameleon harmonic data with
          > > K5m harmonic data
          > > and see how accurate the transfer was.
          > > I'll let you all know how it goes.
          > >
          > > Oh, btw I have a copy of the Syntonix Overtone DOS
          > > editor for K5m.
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > Antoine Deschênes,
          > antdes45@y...

          > Lèche-vitrine ou lèche-écran ?
          > magasinage.yahoo.ca

        • jmp473
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
            P.S. that Cameleon Software sounds very interesting BTW.
          • Antoine Deschênes
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 3, 2006
              You don't need to keep the /:MPU:330 in your batch
              file. With this version you just start it with it once
              and it works.

              To detect the K5, make sure that in the K5's MIDI
              config menu Exclusive TRS and RCV are set to ON before
              starting Overtone if you haven't used it for a long
              time.

              The changes are listed in the read.me file. It's
              mostly bug fixes and more interfaces support. My
              version is also on 4x 5¼" floppies. (Yes, I still have
              a working 5¼" drive in my computer. Stole it from an
              XT when the HDD died.)

              Also I don't think it works directly in Windows. In my
              case, I have to boot in DOS mode.(No such thing under
              XP tho) You could use a DOS emulator also. I think the
              name is DOSbox.

            • Martin John Gallagher
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
                Hello Mr. Deshenes and the group;
                Sorry I don't know the version of Syntonyx Overtone DOS editor. I
                don't use it anymore. But I do know that it was a good editor when I
                was using it.
                I'm currently using Midiquest Editor/Librarian V. 7.0. I have all
                the Syntonyx files ported over to that librarian. But I had a problem
                connecting via MIDI to my K5M. I should pass this on to group members.

                I'm using an MAudio midisport 2X2 USB MIDI interface. The interface
                works fine for connecting up the K5m. However, I'm using USB 1.0, I've
                only got one USB port on my laptop, and so I'm using a USB hub. The hub
                appears to prevent my Librarian from talking to the K5m. When I went
                direct from laptop to MIDI interface with no hub in between, everything
                was fine.

                Thought I'd pass it along.

                Martin John Gallagher
                Portland, Oregon; United States
                mjgallag@...
                Web site: http://home.earthlink.net/~mjgallag
              • Antoine Deschênes
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 4, 2006
                  If you have a self-powered hub you will have some
                  problems with everything bi-directional. You need an
                  externally powered hub.

                  For other problems maybe that upgrading the OS to V
                  1.3 (For K5) or 1.2 (For K5m) can solve some problems.

                  --- Martin John Gallagher <mjgallag@...> a