New K5m

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 23, 2013
      Just got a very lightly used K5m from a friend of mine. I was really surprised at how different it was from my expectations! With hardly any examples of it to listen to in advance, I was expecting something like a Lo-Fi sampler sound, and when I plugged it in, it almost caught me off guard to hear some classic FM synthesis timbres coming out of it! Not necessarily a bad thing...but different!

      The patches on my board are currently not reflecting the original factory sounds, and are probably not the best examples of what it can do, so soon I will reload the factory set and look at the other libraries as well, but this is what I think so far:

      GOOD: Wonderful early digital and FM-like textures! Actually a lot easier and more fun to program than I expected! A lot of promise for ambient music soundscapes and space music. I used to own a Korg DS-8 FM synth, and I really missed those sounds!

      BAD: Frustratingly noisy, and I am disappointed with the digital filter, but, hey! This is additive synthesis...maybe I can make up for the filter by some additive programming.
    • jdearing17
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 24, 2013
        Congratulations on your acquisition! I think the noise is something to deal with, but there is a fix to boost output level. I have yet to do this to mine so I can't really comment on it. As far as filtering goes, I'm sure you've realized that in combination with the standard filter you also have an 11 band formant filter. Quite limited in comparison to the K5000's formant filter, it's still a better option than nothing. I think the K5 has enough charm to hold its own though!
        Hope you get some great sounds out of yours.