Re: K5m Replacement display inverter

  • stephen
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 30, 2013
      How exactly did you source such a display ? do you have any info on who sells them and a price ??

      thanks

      Steve

      --- In k5synth@yahoogroups.com, Narfman96 - Narfland Studio <narfman96@...> wrote:

      > I replace the display with a LED backlit one and forget about the inverter. I tried finding the ND style inverters and never had much luck.
      >

      > >________________________________

    • Narfman96 - Narfland Studio
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 30, 2013
        These are available on Ebay for $46.99 US with free shipping but you will have to wait  for it to ship from China. Usually a couple of weeks to my upstate NY location.

        The one is available here stateside for $52.99 US plus shipping.

        Here is Farnell's search page for these. These are a bit pricier in you neck of the woods plus I didn't really find the proper controller info. The Midas might work but it's way too pricey to chance. Any other options?

        The only thing to look for is the LED backlight so you can avoid the inverter and EL foil wearing out thing. Also the display needs a Toshiba T6963 or compatible controller. The displays are thicker because of the LED backlight. They need to be spaced when mounting so they won't hit the bezel. The contrast voltage in the Chinese display is different than the stock K5 display. To adjust for this I used a 10k trimpot as a voltage divider between the -15vdc and -6vdc supplies. Then the stock contrast adjustment still worked properly. This display liked about -8.5vdc. The last pitfall was the font select on pin 19. This pin needed to be forced hi to provide 6x8 character mode. The stock mode with pin 19 low is 8x8. For some reason Kawai wanted the 6x8 mode. Must be to display all of the harmonic intervals for the oscillators. Kurzweils and Yamaha's do not use the mode. They're all 8x8. I also limit the backlight voltage (and thus the current) by using two 1N4148 diodes to feed the 5 volts to the LED backlight.

        I've installed 5 of these Chinese displays in Kurzweil K2000, K2000R, K2VX, and Yamaha SY77 synths. Plus the Kawai K5 I just did for a friend. I also modded his audio op-amps to use TL2074's with the 147k gain resistors for lower noise and distortion and higher slew rates.

        Cheers, Fran

        --- In mailto:k5synth%40yahoogroups.com, Narfman96 - Narfland Studio <narfman96@...> wrote:

        > I replace the display with a LED backlit one and forget about the inverter. I tried finding the ND style inverters and never had much luck.
        >

        > >________________________________

      • stephen
        Message 3 of 6 , May 1 12:10 PM
          Thanks Fran ,
          I will keep my eye on these , to be honest i don`t really have the technical know how to even attempt to install one but i do know a man who can , next time i call him i`ll ask about the possibility of installing one ..

          Cheers

          Steve

          --- In k5synth@yahoogroups.com, Narfman96 - Narfland Studio <narfman96@...> wrote:

          > These are available on Ebay for $46.99 US with free shipping but you will have to wait  for it to ship from China. Usually a couple of weeks to my upstate NY location.
          >
          > http://www.ebay.com/itm/24064-240x64-Dots-Matrix-LCD-Module-with-Blue-LED-Backlight-JHD24064C-/170747145792?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c152ae40
          >
          > The one is available here stateside for $52.99 US plus shipping.
          >
          > http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/NHD-24064WG-ATMI-VZ%23/NHD-24064WG-ATMI-VZ%23-ND/1885702
          >
          > Here is Farnell's search page for these. These are a bit pricier in you neck of the woods plus I didn't really find the proper controller info. The Midas might work but it's way too pricey to chance. Any other options?
          >
          > http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/browse.jsp;jsessionid=VDYRVRIVUOBQOCQLCIPJNFQ?N=0&Ntk=gensearch&Ntt=240x64+lcd&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&exposeLevel2Refinement=true&suggestions=false&ref=globalsearch&_requestid=8864
          >
          > The only thing to look for is the LED backlight so you can avoid the inverter and EL foil wearing out thing. Also the display needs a Toshiba T6963 or compatible controller. The displays are thicker because of the LED backlight. They need to be spaced when mounting so they won't hit the bezel. The contrast voltage in the Chinese display is different than the stock K5 display. To adjust for this I used a 10k trimpot as a voltage divider between the -15vdc and -6vdc supplies. Then the stock contrast adjustment still worked properly. This display liked about -8.5vdc. The last pitfall was the font select on pin 19. This pin needed to be forced hi to provide 6x8 character mode. The stock mode with pin 19 low is 8x8. For some reason Kawai wanted the 6x8 mode. Must be to display all of the harmonic intervals for the oscillators. Kurzweils and Yamaha's do not use the mode. They're all 8x8. I also limit the backlight voltage (and thus the current) by using
          > two 1N4148 diodes to feed the 5 volts to the LED backlight.
          >
          > I've installed 5 of these Chinese displays in Kurzweil K2000, K2000R, K2VX, and Yamaha SY77 synths. Plus the Kawai K5 I just did for a friend. I also modded his audio op-amps to use TL2074's with the 147k gain resistors for lower noise and distortion and higher slew rates.
          >
          > Cheers, Fran

        • kholt81936
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2 4:58 AM
            Do these Chinese ones pin out similar to the original? How difficult would it be to retrofit one into the K5?