Re: k5 sound programming

  • eboatsmfine
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2012
      thanks for the info! i downloaded the wizoo book and it looks good.

      in the Links of this yahoo group, i see a BruteForceWaves1.xls which has K5 DHG values corresponding to Waldorf wave harmonic spectra.

      this looks like the kind of thing i'd like to use, but wonder if anyone knows of more documents like this. i would be interested in seeing the K5 DHG values for each harmonic for various timbral categories of patches, e.g. horn, piano, violin, synth sounds etc.

      also, anyone where i can download a variety of different types of patches? so far, in my programming, i'm only getting organs and bell type sounds.

      --- In k5synth@yahoogroups.com, "jammie" <jammie.emma@...> wrote:

      > the sharc dta base is one join the k5000 forum aswell and down load the wizzo book this is a great book explaining about additive synthesis and the dhg and is revelent to the k5
      >
      > also sample sounds and look at them look how the single cycle waves of a sample are made up cut snippets of them
      >
      > so you have an actual single cycle sounds then use an additive editor or sounddiver which can dump the single cycle spectra as additive partial data then you can take a couple of these single cycles in a patch an delay then over time so that the sound changes
      >
      > with the vcf and the dhg you can create very convincing examples
      >
      > also with the k5 and k5000 its sin additive there is no phase cosin
      >
      > so the waveforms that are created in the k5/k5000 will not look the same as most waveforms have sin and cosin + noise in there waveforms
      >
      > but you can get very close to the sound

    • jammie
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2012
        if you go to the kawai website you can download all card collections that kawai created for free

        for string type sounds and phasy pads use a supersaw waveform

        of roland fame its several saw waves slightly detuned

        korg dwgs waves are additive sin spectra created on the korg dss1 and dsm1

        they have many emulations of real instruments for wavefroms

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 3, 2012
          thanks!

          a question about the DHG programming using groups like ALL, EVEN, ODD, OCTAVE. so if i edit individual harmonics and then bring up the ALL amplitude for example, it blows away the individual harmonic editing i've done right? wondering how folks are using the "group" harmonic parameters in their programming, tips or tricks?

          also, what software editor/librarian are folks using to help program sounds, if any? and is it any good?

          --- In k5synth@yahoogroups.com, "jammie" <jammie.emma@...> wrote:

          > if you go to the kawai website you can download all card collections that kawai created for free
          >
          > for string type sounds and phasy pads use a supersaw waveform
          >
          > of roland fame its several saw waves slightly detuned
          >
          > korg dwgs waves are additive sin spectra created on the korg dss1 and dsm1
          >
          > they have many emulations of real instruments for wavefroms

        • jdearing17
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 4, 2012
            When it comes to the harmonic group levels, you can use the select, range, and angle functions to define which harmonics are affected by the increment dial.

            from page 19 of the manual:

            Select: Live, Die, All
            Live affects harmonics in which the intensity is greater than zero.
            Die affects all harmonics in which the intensity is zero.

            Range: Lets you select a range of harmonics to be affected

            Angle: sets an automatic rolloff curve, either high or low end.

            I have both a K5m and a K5000s and these options are not available with the k5k, only partially by setting the harmonic group to bright or dark can you get the rolloff curves, but you cannot select the range to be affected, nor have the curve only affect dead or live harmonics.

            As far as software, I have not tried any yet. I've used sounddiver with the K5K and it leaves a lot to be desired so I just program from the unit itself. The K5 is a little weird in the fact that the cursor switches don't seem to have any debouncing circuitry so one push can send the cursor three spaces sometimes.

            Anyway, hope that helps you with your question.