Quebec

  • Herb Krumich
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 29, 2011
      Thanks to everyone who tried finding my little pip-squeak station last week..
      The only station I did hear was George K3ZK on Sunday afternoon. His signal was very weak. I called several times but knew I would not be heard. On Monday I heard nobody from this area.
      Over the weekend, even though some signals were very loud on 20 meters SSB from other parts of the world, I was not able to make one single contact. The five watts and a simple antenna was the downfall.
      For the good news,
      I was able to work many stations on CW in Europe and South America. Also, several stateside stations but much further west than Pa. I might have been better off had I brought 40 meters. But the float plane trip, needs to be packed very litely.
      The only bad problem with this long trip north, was the 90 mile dirt road to the float plane base. Three hours each way on that road alone.
      The fishing was tremendous. Our largest pike landed was 36 inches. On three different occasions, we battled pike that we wound up never seeing. Our lines broke before they came to the top.
      There is nothing better than casting a lure and starting to retrive it. When suddenly your line stops like it hit a rock. Then the rock starts moving. Fish On!
      We caught in excess of 300 Walleye. The average was around 16 inches, and the largest was 22 inches.
      There was a local black bear which was around our camp, but never seen.
      Well it's nice to be home, and have many pictures and memories
      73's
      Herb K2LNS
    • George K3ZK
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 29, 2011
        Hi Herb!! Seems like a great time was had by all. Just for your info I was
        running 1kw. My problem might have been I was using a quad and not a yagi!!
        Oh BOY!! hope FA does not read this. Hi...Hi...

        Several things compounded the problem on my end. About a s-5 noise
        level. Normally around a 2. ARRL QSO Party also that weekend. Stations all
        over the band. Well at least you heard this pea shooter station.

        later K3ZK
      • Herb Krumich
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 29, 2011
          George I did hear you for sure.. But my 5 watts was on SSB was not able to be heard by anyone, no matter how loud they were. Again CW did rule for low power contacts
          Tnx again