Fw: [Moon-net] two cents

  • Herb Krumich
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 18, 2010
      This letter was sent to a logger called Moon Net. Every so often someone gripes about different modes that some of the newer hams use, for weak signal communication with low power and small antennas. I wrote this in response to a fellow ham in Europe. No names mentioned..

      I would like to mention something about our great hobby. Anyone or anything that
      can inhance ham radio should be cherished.. In the USA the hobby is like a
      sinking ship. Fewer young people getting involved and many of us getting up in
      years.
      The more people getting involved, even if it means a computer to decode signals
      due to the lack of RF, the better. Perhaps as years go by, this same person will
      purchase a farm, and be the next monster station, that entry level hams will be
      glowing when worked.
      Over the years I have opened my eyes to new ideas. Keeping them closed, would
      have kept me in the dark.
      I have loved this hobby since a young man. At that time my ARC-5 was as good as
      my Omni of today.
      Whatever your doing with this hobby, do it with gusto. Time is running out for
      all of us.
      73's Herb
      WA2FGK station

    • Herb Krumich
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 18, 2010

        I couldn't agree with you more as I am in the early stages of finally getting a permanent QTH for my EME antennas.  Up to this point, I have been basically building equipment.  I close on my mountain property this Friday and hope to get my Rohn 45 tower in the ground this weekend.  Next will be the big dish project.

        One thing I have felt for many years is that the ARRL has not focused on the ADVANCED Amateur community and has taken up the lost cause to get Internet kids into ham radio.  DUBUS has taken the opposite approach and publishes advanced technical doccuments and newsletters.

        We will never return to the 60's and 70's where we had 1M ham operators.  We need to focus on the advanced operators and pull from those truly interested in weak signal.  The excellent EME manual created for the 2010 EME conference was an excellent start.

        There were several stations indicating they were getting ready to get QRV in a big way.  Hopefully this generates some renewed activity going forward.

        Gary, N8CQ

        ---- Herb Krumich <wa2fgk@...> wrote:
        > I would like to mention something about our great hobby. Anyone or anything that
        > can inhance ham radio should be cherished.. In the USA the hobby is like a
        > sinking ship. Fewer young people
        getting involved and many of us getting up in
        > years.
        > The more people getting involved, even if it means a computer to decode signals
        > due to the lack of RF, the better. Perhaps as years go by, this same person will
        > purchase a farm, and be the next monster station, that entry level hams will be
        > glowing when worked.
        > Over the years I have opened my eyes to new ideas. Keeping them closed, would
        > have kept me in the dark.
        > I have loved this hobby since a young man. At that time my ARC-5 was as good as
        > my Omni of today.
        > Whatever your doing with this hobby, do it with gusto. Time is running out for
        > all of us.
        > 73's Herb
        > WA2FGK station

      • Herb Krumich
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 18, 2010
          Just another example of hams around the world

               This is a great hobby, it is a technical hobby, progress is inevitable...if everyone would just go forward with their eyes and mind open it would be better.....This is a world where progress is going to happen, Try EME with spark, use CW , use SSB and Digital, let's just don't be so narrow minded in our use and opinions of mode that we shot ourselves in the foot...use what and when you want to but use this fine nitch in armature radio and encourage others ( the young crowd) to use EME. It is a fine hobby lets not destroy it with our petty personal problems...

              As others have said, the 2010 EME Conference was a big success, I applaud all that had anything to do with this fine event  and am looking forward to the next 2012 EME in the UK

          Ray WA4NJP  EM84dg

           50 MHz     WAS  VUCC   DXCC
          144MHZ    WAS   VUCC   DXCC
            EME on  50, 144,222,432 &1296  all modes (even spark if it would work)