Re: [Murgas ARC] Fwd: Buying a used radio

  • Bob Nygren
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 31, 2010
      Some questionable antenna advice, (in my opinion.) In an area as mountainous as ours, a 1/4 wave mobile antenna is preferred to a 5/8 wave. If you are in one of our many valleys, the low angle of radiation of the 5/8 antenna is a disadvantage. The 1/4 wave antenna has a higher angle of radiation. More of your signal will make it up to the mountaintop location of most repeaters.

      The description of the "cheap antenna " for the home is not accurate. 468/F (in mHz) is a good starting point for construction a 1/2 wave dipole antenna, not a ground plane. 468/146 = 38 inches not 57 inches. Anyone trying to make 57, (or 38) inches of wire function as a ground plane antenna on 2 meters will be frustrated.

      Google "J Pole" for an easy to build antenna for 2 meters for home use. I've seen a dual band J Pole on EPAY for about $20. You can build one for less than $5. Keep the feed-line as short as possible.

      Regards,

      Bob N3RN