WINDOM ANTENNA

  • n3bud
    Message 1 of 5 , May 30, 2010
      Years ago Bob, N3FA, published an article in the Murgas times with the measurements for making a home brew windom I made a few that worked well but lost the article. Can anyone provide the deminsions again?
      Thanks,
      Mike, N3BUD
    • George K3ZK
      Message 2 of 5 , May 30, 2010
        Hi Mike, These measurements might be close. Used that same antenna some time
        ago. One leg 90 feet, the other 45. Preferably a 6:1 balun, but a 4:1 will
        work. Here is the tricky part. Use 300 ohm ladder line. Not sure if the
        length is 43-1/2 feet, or 48-1/2. I will try and get that info for you. I'm
        sure you already know this, but when tuning the antenna, for every 1 inch
        that you trim off the short leg, you trim 2 off the long leg. That is the
        best I can do with the measurements. I will try and provide more info in a
        couple of day's.

        George K3ZK
      • Mike
        Message 3 of 5 , May 30, 2010
          George thanks for the info.  That is a little different from what I remember.  I thought it was 132 feet (44 & 88) with either 27.5 or 37.5 feet of 300 ohm twin lead to a four to one and then any length of coax.  I had saved that particular newsletter for a long time but misplaced it when we moved.

          Message 4 of 5 , May 31, 2010
            Hi Mike, Bob N3FA, should have the correct info. We call it the N3FA
            special. I will give him a jingle on the twisted pair, and see if he still
            has the article.

            George K3ZK
          • George K3ZK
            Message 5 of 5 , May 31, 2010
              HI Mike, I was correct with all measurements. Contacted Bob N3FA. Once again
              it is....

              45/90 short and long leg.

              48.5 ft. twin lead.

              6:1 balun, but 4:1 will work.