[jyotish-news] Jyotish News - November

  • J Sarat Chander
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 1999

      NOVEMBER 1999

      A monthly news letter from Sri Jagannath Vedic Centre

      152-B, Pocket-C, Mayur Vihar Phase-2

      Delhi - 110 092

      Tel.No.0091 - 11 - 248 9531

      Email: jyotish-news@egroups.com

      Editor: Pandit Shri Sanjay Rath

      Managing Editor: J. Sarat Chander

      Email: saratchander@...

      The basic quantum of time is 120 years which is the Param Ayus of the Human birth (Parasara gives the exact figure of 120 Years & 5 days, but we stick to the round figure of 120 years for the preliminary understanding). As explained earlier, this is also two cycles (Aaroha or increasing and Avaroha or decreasing quality of time) of Jupiter & Saturn of 60 years each. This is also a Kali (literally ONE) Chakra. Dwapara( Literally TWO) Chakra is 240 Years, Treta(literally THREE) Chakra is 360 Years and Kreta(literally FOUR) Chakra is 480 Years.

      By adding all these four Chakra, we get a Maha Chakra of 1200 Years. (120+240+360+480=1200). Thus, Kali (ONE) Maha Chakra is 1200 Years, Dwapara (TWO) MahaChakra is 2400 years, Treta (THREE) Mahachakra is 3600 years and Kreta (FOUR) Mahachakra is 4800 years.

      By adding all these four Mahachakra, we get a Daivachakra of 12000 Years. (1200+2400+3600+4800=12000). As the name implies, the Daiva indicates the luminous ones (Sun & Moon) and we again come to the Ahoratra (Hora) concept where we have one Aaroha (increasing) cycle and one Avaroha (decreasing) cycle of 12000 years each to give the period of 24,000 years.

      Thereafter, 18 Ahoratra of the Daivachakra or 36 Daivachakra form a Yuga of 4,32,000 Years. This number is based on the Drekkana Division ruled by the Maharishi's (3x12=36). Thus, Kali (ONE) Yuga is 4,32,000 Years, Dwapara (TWO) Yuga is 8,64,000 years, Treta (THREE) Yuga is 12,96,000 years and Kreta (FOUR) Yuga is 17,28,000 years.

      Trini-pada-vichakrame Vinur-Gopa-adabhyo (.) Atho Dharmani dharayan (.) Rig Veda

      The spiritual meaning (Veda) of this Gayatri from the Rig Veda can be studied from the works of Sri Dayananda Saraswati & Aurobindo. I can only attempt one lower level (Vedanga) Jyotish interpretation where " The Bha-Chakra or Zodiac is divided into three parts called the Nabhi (occuring in the Sandhi (junction) between the Water and Fire signs). These are the Vishnu-Nabhi and Brahma (Gopa) Nabhi at the two levels of Daivachakra and Chakra respectively. It is on the basis of this inviolable principle that Dharma is established."

      On the basis of this we can define two Pada. First, on the basis of the Vishnu Nabhi, is the Daiva-Pada where three Daivachakra are included to give 36,000 Years. Since at this level, Vishnu is one of the 12 Aditya's (Sun's or Diva or Daiva), the 12 Aditya's give 12 Daiva-Pada's of 36,000 years each which is equal to one yuga (36,000 x 12 = 4,32,000 years). Second, on the basis of the Brahma Nabhi, is the Chakra-Pada where three Chakra's of 120 years each are included to form a Daiva-Varsha or the popularly known "Year of the Gods" of 360 years. Thus, Kali (ONE) Yuga is 1200 Daiva-Varsha, Dwapara (TWO) Yuga is 2400 Daiva-Varsha, Treta (THREE) Yuga is 3600 Daiva-Varsha and Kreta (FOUR) Yuga is 4800 Daiva-Varsha .

      [From here we use Daiva-Varsha or "Year of the Gods" each equalling 360 earth years as the standard quantum of time].

      By adding all these four Yuga, we get a Maha Yuga of 12000 Daiva-Varsha or 4,320,000 Earth years. (1200+2400+3600+4800=12000).

      One thousand Mahayuga are equal to one Kalpa. Thus, the Kalpa is the basic Vedic Cosmic cycle equal to 12,000,000 Daiva Varsha or 4,320,000,000 Earth years. This is also called the "Day of Brahma". The "Night of Brahma" is of equal length to the "Day of Brahma". Thus, the Ahoratra (Day & Night) of Brahma is 24 Million Daiva-Varsha or 8,640 Million earth Years. The Year of Brahma is 360 such days & nights thereby equal to 8640 Million Daiva-Varsha or 3,110,400 Million Earth years (or say 3.11 Trillion Earth Years). The Life of Brahma is said to be 100 such years of Brahma and is 8,64,000 Million Daiva Varsha or 311,040,000 Million Earth years (or say 311 Trillion Earth years). Thereafter Nirvikalpa Pralaya (complete dissolution of all worlds) occurs followed by the creation of another Brahma from the Navel of Narayana.

      Material creation is the natural activity of Brahma during the Diva-kalpa (Day of Brahma)and material dissolution called Naimittika Pralaya (whereby the entire Universe is withdrawn into Him where it exists as a potentiality) followed by sleep is the activity in Ratri-kalpa (Night of Brahma). Brahma creates these material worlds due to yoga (union) with all the "Rasa's".

      [The spiritual concept (Veda) of all the Rasa's is "Sa-Rasa-Wati" or the Divine Mother "Saraswati" whereas the Jyotish concept (Vedanga) is of the seven Rasa's (of the Saptamsa or D-7 Chart) repeating in two cycles of odd and even signs thereby causing fourteen yoga's of Brahma and Saraswati. These seven Rasa's come from the seven planets from Sun to Saturn having physical bodies and Rahu & Ketu are excluded as they do not have any material body].

      Thus, each Manvantara, which is the Yoga of Brahma with one of the Rasa's, is for one-fourteenth the period of the Kalpa which is approximately 71 Mahayuga's. The period of a Manvantara equal to 852,000 Daiva-Varsha (i.e 71x12000= 852,000) or 306,720,000 Earth years. Fourteen such Manvantara give the total period of 119,288,000 Daiva Varsha (i.e. 14x 852,000= 119,228,000) or 4,294,080,000 Earth years whereas that of the Kalpa is 12,000,000 Daiva Varsha or 4,320,000,000 Earth years. This leaves a gap of 72,000 Daiva-varsha between the 14 Manvantara. There are twelve gaps or period of dissolution of the ANIMATE WORLD (the INANIMATE WORLD continues to exist as Brahma is awake) between these fourteen Manvantara with each gap equal to 6000 Diva-varsha. Manu is the progenitor of the human race and a Manu appears at the begining of each Manvantara. We are presently, in the seventh Manvantara of the Kalpa started by Manu Vaivasvata. Thus, he is our penultimate forefather as far as this material existence is concerned.

      There is no doom. Sri Achyutu Dasa the direct disciple of Sri Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu has stated in a stanza about India that "FROM 13OO AD TO 2000 AD INDIA SHALL SUFFER DASATWA OR BONDAGE. TOWARDS THE END, THIS WILL BEGIN TO BREAK AND FROM 2000 AD SATYA SANATANA WILL BE ESTABLISHED." Thus, when we are going to see a very glorious phase beginning 2000 AD, I cannot agree with those predictions about Doom. Later Sri Achyuta adds that this will be done by the strength or people of Baladeva (Sri Balaram, the elder brother of Bhagawan). Now, we can only speculate here.

      There seems to be some confusion about understanding of the Yuga cycles. This is so because of the lack of appretiation of the "Sankalpha" done at the begining of the prayers. The day of Brahma is called "Kalpha" from which the word "Sankalpha" is derived. Kalpha also means Lagna. Hence Brahma controls longevity. In the day there is "Leela" and in the Night, the universe is withdrawn and exists as a potentiality. This Kalpha is about 4320 Million years and 360 such Brahma days make a Brahma Year. Now, Brahma's life is for 100 such years (followed by a dissolution called Prakrittika Mahapralaya) and it is believed that Brahma is in His 51st Year. The Kalpha is divided into 14 Manvantaras of which we are in the 7th called Manu Vaivasvata. Each Manvantara is for 306,720,000 years with gaps between the manvantara's in any Kalpha. Each Manvantara is further subdivided into 71 Mahayuga (approx.) as 1000 Mahayuga make one Kalpha. Each Mahayuga is further divided into four Yuga's called Krta (Four), Treta (Three), Dvapara (Two) and Kali (One) of lengths 4800, 3600, 2400 and 1200 "YEARS OF THE GODS". Here the years of the Gods refers to the Sun as Deva is derived from Diva (Light) and the Sun is also called Divakara. THIS IS WHERE THE ERROR CREEPS IN I.E. THE INTERPRETATION OF THE TERM "YEAR OF THE GODS". WHILE THIS IS GENERALLY ACCEPTED AS THE MOTION OF THE SUN IN ONE DAY, SOME HAVE EQUATED THIS TO ONE YEAR OF HUMAN LIFE. Thus, they misrepresent the periods as 4800, 3600, 2400 and 1200 human years instead.

      The Manu Smriti has stated that "A DAY OF THE GODS IS EQUAL TO A YEAR IN HUMAN LIFE" . This is also the reason why I have been requesting the Software programmers to calculate the dasa-antar and other smaller periods correctly on the basis of the Actual solar transit of 360 Degrees with fluctuations in one year instead of interpolating on the figure of 365.25 days as a lot of approximation creeps in. Another blunder is to equate the year of the Gods blindly to 360 human years on the approximate basis of 1 Degree transit of the Sun per day when we know this to be 365.25 solar days. This is how another doubt of 360 days instead of 365.25 days per year has crept in.

      The dating of the Kali yuga is the vexed question. Tradition accepts this as 3102 BC, whereas others relying on the other factors give 900 BC or 600 BC etc. How do we resolve this?

      Not going into other considerations, the 60 Year cycle of Jupiter and Saturn is considered very significant. The Yuga of Kali of 1200 Years of the Gods can be sub-divided into four sub-periods of 480, 360, 240 and 120 years of the Gods. WE can again divide this into sub-sub-periods...and so on. Now, Two such cycles of Jupiter-Saturn conjunction in Aries maybe called a "Chakra" with the first cycle called as Avaroha and the second as Aaroha. Thus the smallest measure of quality of time or "Chakra" is 120 solar years. These Chakras can again be grouped as Krta (Four Chakra), Treta (three Chakra), Dvapara (Two Chakra) and Kali (one Chakra) having periods of 480, 360, 240 and 120 solar years each and the MahaChakra will be for 1200 solar years. According to Sri Achyuta Dasa, the "Dasatwa (Bondage) of India ends in 2000 AD" showing that the Kali Chakra of 120 years that started in 1880 AD is to end in 2000 AD when Jupiter & Saturn are to conjoin in Aries again. Thus, this MahaChakra must have started 1200 years back in 800 AD. Further, the KrtaChakra should have been from 800 AD to 1280 AD and during this period the best temples were built and the finest literature produced. This was the golden age of India. After this, TretaChakra was from 1280 to 1640 AD during which we find that Satwa declines and strife increases. The Dasatva (Bondage) of India begins as invaders came to rule and Muslim dynasty's are set up in India. DvaparaChakra was from 1640 to 1880 when the British directly ruled India under the Crown. With the advent of KaliChakra (1880 to 2000 AD), the fight for freedom begins in the form of revival of religion etc. Strife is at its highest and has gone to the villages as well. The main theme in India, the most spiritual Land, is still peace or a peaceful approach to freedom in the Aaroha (Increasing) portion of 60 years (1880 to 1940 AD) whereas in the Avaroha portion 1940 to 2000 AD even Mahatma Gandhi takes a war-like posture in the Quit India resolution of 1942.

      The KaliChakra (1880 to 2000 AD) has seen the development of the most powerful weapons for mass destruction as well as their use. Next year, the entire cycle changes and another MahaChakra of 1200 Years begins with a KretaChakra (2000 to 2480 AD) and once again, the temples will be built, literature will flourish and a lot of good will happen on this planet. Sri Achyuta Dasa, the pride of the Tradition of Orissa and the Direct Disciple of Sri Chaitanya Mahaprabhu has left such brilliant Gems in Oriya Prose and I hope to translate them properly for the benefit of all jyotish.

      * * * * * * * *

      A saying from the Vedas claims that "Speech is the essence of humanity." All of what humanity thinks and ultimately becomes is determined by the expression of ideas and actions through speech and its derivative, writing. Everything, the Vedas maintain, comes into being through speech. Ideas remain unactualized until they are created through the power of speech. Similarly, The New Testament, Gospel of John, starts "In the beginning was The Word. And the Word was with God and the Word was God..."

      In mainstream Vedic practices, most Buddhist techniques and classical Hinduism, mantra is viewed as a necessity for spiritual advancement and high attainment. In ‘The Kalachakra Tantra’, by the Dalai Lama and Jeffrey Hopkins, the Dalai Lama states, "Therefore, without depending upon mantra...Buddhahood cannot be attained."

      Clearly, there is a reason why such widely divergent sources of religious wisdom as the Vedas, the New Testament and the Dalai Lama speak in common ideas. Here are some important ideas about mantra, which will enable us to begin a practical understanding of what mantra is and what it can do.

      Definition # 1:

      Mantras are energy-based sounds. Saying any word produces an actual physical vibration. Over time, if we know what the effect of that vibration is, then the word may come to have meaning associated with the effect of saying that vibration or word. This is one level of energy basis for words.

      Another level is intent. If the actual physical vibration is coupled with a mental intention, the vibration then contains an additional mental component, which influences the result of saying it. The sound is the carrier wave and the intent is overlaid upon the waveform, just as a colored gel influences the appearance and effect of a white light.

      In either instance, the word is based upon energy. Nowhere is this idea truer than for Sanskrit mantra. For although there is a general meaning which comes to be associated with mantras, the only lasting definition is the result or effect of saying the mantra.

      Definition #2:

      Mantras create thought-energy waves. The human consciousness is really a collection of states of consciousness, which distributively exist throughout the physical and subtle bodies. Each organ has a primitive consciousness of its own. That primitive consciousness allows it to perform a function specific to it. Then come the various systems. The cardio-vascular system, the reproductive system and other systems have various organs or body parts working at slightly different stages of a single process. Like the organs, there is a primitive consciousness also associated with each system. And these are just within the physical body. Similar functions and states of consciousness exist within the subtle body as well. So individual organ consciousness is overlaid by system consciousness, overlaid again by subtle body counterparts and consciousness, and so ad infinitum.

      The ego with its self-defined "I"ness assumes a pre-eminent state among the subtle din of random, semi-conscious thoughts which pulse through our organism. And of course, our organism can "pick up" the vibration of other organisms nearby. The result is that there are myriad vibrations riding in and through the subconscious mind at any given time.

      Mantras start a powerful vibration corresponding to both a specific spiritual energy frequency and a state of consciousness in seed form. Over time, the mantra process begins to override all of the other smaller vibrations, which eventually become absorbed by the mantra. After a length of time that varies from individual to individual, the great wave of the mantra stills all other vibrations. Ultimately, the mantra produces a state where the organism vibrates at the rate completely in tune with the energy and spiritual state represented by and contained within the mantra.

      At this point, a change of state occurs in the organism. The organism becomes subtly different. Just as a laser is light which is coherent in a new way, the person who becomes one with the state produced by the mantra is also coherent in a way which did not exist prior to the conscious undertaking of repetition of the mantra.

      Definition #3:

      Mantras are tools of power and tools for power. They are formidable. They are ancient. They work. The word "mantra" is derived from two Sanskrit words. The first is "manas" or "mind," which provides the "man" syllable. The second syllable is drawn from the Sanskrit word "trai" meaning to "protect" or to "free from." Therefore, the word mantra, in its most literal sense, is "to free from the mind". Mantra is, at its core, a tool used by the mind that eventually frees one from the vagaries of the mind.

      But the journey from mantra to freedom is a wondrous one. The mind expands, deepens and widens and eventually dips into the essence of cosmic existence. On its journey, the mind comes to understand much about the essence of the vibration of things. And knowledge, as we all know, is power. In the case of mantra, this power is tangible and wieldable.

      About Mantra

      1. Mantras and experience

      The effects of mantras can are felt only with experience and these experiences have been passed to the generations through the word of mouth under the Gurukul system.

      If we warn a young child that it should not touch a hot stove, we try to explain that it will burn the child. However, language is insufficient to convey the experience. Only the act of touching the stove and being burned will adequately define the words "hot" and "burn" in the context of "stove". Essentially, there is no real direct translation of the experience of being burned. Similarly, there is no word that can explain the experience of an electrical shock poking a finger into an electrical socket. We understand the word "shock" only by experience, while shock is really a definition of the result of the action of poking our finger into the socket.

      It is the same with mantras. The only true definition is the experience which it ultimately creates in the sayer. Over thousands of years, many sayers have had common experiences and passed them on to the next generation. Through this tradition, a context of experiential definition has been created.

      1. Formation and growth of mantras

      In Sanskrit, sounds that have no direct translation but which contain great power and can be "grown" from it are called "seed mantras." Seed in Sanskrit is called "Bijam" in the singular and "Bija" in the plural forms.

      For example, the mantra "Shrim" or "Shreem" is the seed sound for the principle of abundance (Lakshmi). If one says "shreem" a hundred times, a certain increase in the potentiality of the sayer to accumulate abundance is achieved. When "shreem" is said a thousand or a million times, the result is correspondingly greater.

      But abundance can take many forms. There is prosperity, to be sure, but there is also peace as abundance, health, friends, enough food, and a lot of other kind and types of abundance which may vary from individual to individual and culture to culture. It is at this point that the intention of the sayer begins to influence the degree of the kind of capacity for accumulating wealth that may accrue.

      3. Mantras and their origin

      Each mantra is associated with a Maharishi who wrote or gave the mantra. Although the oral tradition predates written speech by centuries, those earliest oral records noted on palm leaves clearly identifies a specific sage as the "seer" of the mantra. This means that the mantra was probably arrived at through meditation or intuition and subsequently tested by the person who first encountered it.

      4. Mantras and the Chakras

      There is a direct relationship between the mantra sound, either vocalized or subvocalized, and the Chakras (the Kundalini Chakras) located throughout the body. Each Chakra is identified with a specific "beeja" mantra. All mantras are derived using these beeja syllables, thus enabling the awakening of the specific Chakra in the body.

      5. Mantras are energy

      Mantras are energy which can be equated to fire. You can use fire either to cook your lunch or to burn down the forest. It is the same fire where it is used positively on one hand and negatively on the other. Similarly, mantra can bring a positive and beneficial result, or it can produce an energy meltdown when misused or practiced without some guidance. There are certain mantra formulas that are exact, specific and so powerful that they must be learnt and practiced only under careful supervision by a qualified guru.

      6. Mantra energizes prana

      "Prana" is a form of life energy which can be transferred from individual to individual. Prana may or may not produce an instant dramatic effect upon transfer. There can be heat or coolness as a result of the transfer.

      Some healers operate through transfer of prana. A massage therapist can transfer prana with beneficial effect. Even self-healing can be accomplished by concentrating prana in certain organs, the result of which can be a clearing of the difficulty or condition. For instance, by saying a certain mantra while visualizing an internal organ bathed in light, the specific power of the mantra can become concentrated there with great beneficial effect.

      7. Mantras and peace of mind

      At a deep level, subconscious mind is a collective consciousness of all the forms of primitive consciousness that exist throughout the physical and subtle bodies. The dedicated use of mantra can dig into subconscious crystallized thoughts stored in the organs and glands and transform these bodily parts into repositories of peace.

      * * * * * * *

      BY C.S. Ramanujam

      Soon after the creation, the demons Madhu and Kaitabha had stolen the Vedas and had wrought havoc on the life of others. During this period the supreme Lord Sriman Narayana incarnated as Lord Hayagreeva to kill these two demons and restore the stolen Vedas to the Creator, Lord Sri Brahma.

      In 1267 AD a great saint, poet and logician by the name Sri Venkatanatha was born, who was later to be known as Sri Venkatadesika. During his times, he was considered to be "Vishnughantavatar" (iv:[u"{qavtar) - an incarnation of the famous bell of Lord Srinivasa (Tirupati Balaji). One might wonder how an inanimate object such as a bell could be born as an avatar, but the fact is, in Vaikunthaloka everything is animate. The objective of his incarnation was to re-establish 'Sanathanadharma'.

      The people, during this period, were highly influenced by the 'Advaita' philosophy of Sri Adi Shankara. People had misinterpreted the 'Mayavada' of Sri Adi Shankara and his 'Mahavakya' - "Aham Bramhasmi" (Ah<b+MhiSm) meaning the 'self-realized' and all knowing. They started claiming their own bodies as that of the all-knowing 'Brahman' and started throwing away the idols from the temples into wells and had actually succeeded in doing so.

      Sri Venkatadesika

      had composed hundreds of stotras and many other philosophical works such as a commentary on Vishishta Advaita, Brahmasutras, many natakas and kavyas of which, two of them viz., 'Yadavabhudaya' and 'Paduka Sahasra' are very popular and acclaimed works. Yadavabhudaya is a composition consisting of 2400 verses and it speaks of the entire life of Lord Sri Krishna. Paduka Sahasra, meaning one thousand slokas on the Padukas (wooden sandals), is a rendition on Lord Sri Ranganatha. This rendition was a spontaneous composition done in 3 hours during a competition and this work, to date, stands unparalleled.

      He was also known by the titles "Sarvatantraswatantra" (svRt<t+Svt<t+) and "Vedanta Acharya" (veda<t AacayR) that were conferred to him by none other than the Divine Mother Goddess Ranganayaki of Sri Rangam (in Tamil Nadu). He lived up to 101 years and did a great service to Hinduism. He not only protected important scriptures from being destroyed by frequent invasion from Muslim kings but also consolidated the Hindu rule by bringing together the hitherto divided Hindu kings and succeeded in driving away invaders like Malik Gafur and the likes.

      His Guru initiated him into Garuda Mantra at the age of 20. He went to a secluded place at Thiruvaheendrapuram (in Tamil Nadu) and did several lakhs of Japa in 6 months and had the grand vision of Sri Garuda appearing before him and initiated him into Hayagreeva Mantra. He performed the japa of this mantra also at the same spot and had the fortune of the vision of Lord Sriman Narayana in the form of Lakshmi Hayagreeva. Sri Desika went into raptures following this vision and the most popular and powerful hymn known as the "Hayagreeva Stotram" started flowing like nectar in praise of Lord Sri Lakshmi Hayagreeva. The strength of this mantra is to enhance the learning faculty. If well imparted, it will be of immense help to the millions of little children who are burdened with heavy workloads in the schools and a stiff academic competition.

      The recitation of this mantra is begun with salutations to Sri Venkatadesika to seek his blessings, which goes as follows:

      "Shrimaan Venkatanarthayaha Kavitarkika Kesari

      Vedyantanarthayo me Sannidhattam Sadahridi"

      EaImaana` vaoMkTnaaqaa-ya: kivataik-k kosarI

      vaodantay-avaya-ao mao sainnaQa<aama\\ sada)id .

      The meaning: I pray to Sri Venkatanatha who is a lion among poets and logicians and who is a great teacher of vedanta and may he be ever present in our heat.

      Hayagreeva Stotram

      Gyananandamayam Devam Nirmalasphatikakritam

      Aadharam Sarvavidyanaam Hayagreevam Upasmahe

      &anaanandmayama\ dovama\ inama-lasfiTkakRtma\

      AaQaarma\ sava-ivaVanaama\ hyaga/Ivama\ ]pasmaho

      The meaning: We worship Lord Hayagreeva who is the very embodiment of jnana (knowledge) and aanandha (bliss) whose figure is spotless and lustrous like the crystal and who is the sole source and storehouse of all fields of knowledge.

        1.                  Swataha Siddhim Shuddhasfatika Manibhoobhritpratibhatam

      Sudhyaasaghrichibhidhyutibihi ShvadatTribuvanam

      Anantaisrabhyantaiha Anuvihita Heshahalahalam

      Hatasheshavdhyam Hayavadanameendeemahi Mahaha

      svat: isaiwma\ SauwsfiTk maiNaBaUBa&<p/itBaTma\ .

      sauVasaQa/IcaIiBaVuitiBa: svadati~Bauvanama\ ..

      AnaMtOsa/ByantO: Anauivaiht hoYaahlahlama\ ...

      htaSaoYaavaVma\ hyavadnamaIMiDmaih mah: .

      The meaning: We praise the Lord who has the Horse face, who is effulgence manifested in a material form, who is like a spotless crystal mountain that has spontaneously risen to this shape, who spreads nectar like radiation brightening all the worlds, whose neighing sounding 'Hala' 'Hala' is rightly regarded as the voice of the infinite world (the Veda) and whose voice is capable of wiping away all our grief.

      To be continued

      Strong wedlocks are the foundation of a good society. Societal values flourish under a very strong and affectionate marriage system. A happy and united family breeds the best of human values and culture. Hence, marriage automatically assumes a high place and value in the Indian society. In this issue let us examine the problems faced in marriages.

      Male born on 10th April 1956 at 0800 hrs at Begusarai (Bihar):

      As may be seen from the above chart, Venus, the Lagna lord and kaltrakaraka, is afflicted by not only the conjunction of Ketu but also by the 7th house aspect of Rahu and Saturn from Scorpio and an exalted Mars from Capricorn. Also the aspect of Jupiter, though in the sign of exaltation, is not favourable as it is the lord of the 8th house. The Upapada Lagna (UL) is in Cancer and the UL itself is in the "Sashtashtaka" relationship with the Arudha Lagna which is in Aquarius (11). Moon, the lord of UL, is conjunct a malefic (Sun) and is also under the aspect of Rahu by graha drishti. The Lord of AL - Saturn, is placed in an inimical house (Scorpio) and is conjunct a debilitated co-lord of Aquarius - Rahu. Besides, the placement of UL Lord (Moon) is very bad in the Navam" as it is in debility in the 8th house (Scorpio) and is conjunct a debilitated and vargottam Rahu. Also the 2nd house from UL i.e., Leo is not only under the aspect of Saturn who has conjoined Rahu, but is also under the aspect of exalted Mars (from Capricorn - Rashi Drishti) and Mercury which is the lord of the 12th from UL. All these combinations indicated a break in the first marriage. While addiction to alcohol will be one of the causes (Rahu's aspect afflicting moon - Rahu is also conjunct Saturn) for the break in marriage, the other cause will be high and flaying tempers (Mars - Mercury aspect on the 2nd from UL).

      To see whether there is a possibility of a second marriage at all and whether it will fructify or not, let us examine the 2nd house, as it is the 8th from the 7th house and let us also examine the 8th house from UL which will indicate second marriage.

      In the instant case, the 2nd lord Mercury is also afflicted under the aspect of two inalefies - Saturn and Rahu (rashi drishti) from Scorpio. Moreover, Mercury is conjoined Venus in the Navamsa Lagna (in Aries) indicating the possibility of 2nd marriage. However, Mercury is in the 6th from the UL lord - Moon in the Navamsa which is strongly indicative of trouble in the 2nd marriage too. The native did separate from his first wife and later got remarried. However, the 2nd marriage too is in turmoil at this juncture.

      (to be continued)

        CNN Astro news:

        A web posting in the CNN dated September 22, 1999 states that astro-scientists have now discovered that the universe is expanding even faster than earlier thought of. This discovery has been based on the study of the pulsating Cepheid stars which are used by astronomers to measure distances between to galaxies. This has led the scientists to believe that the universe could be younger than earlier thought of. For a more detailed reading please visit

        Devotional/Spiritual CDs:

        Vortex Records announces release of new CDs titled Hare Krsna Kirtan, Khammaj, Vipralambha and Kalachandji. Some of their old releases are Flowers from the Silence and Dreams of Immortality. You can order these CDs by mail at the address given below, or email to

        For a detailed viewing of further details please visit -

        David Bruce Hughes

        PO Box 934

        Roswell, GA 30075 USA