Water : Willingness to Pay

  • ARTHA
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 13, 2004
      Dear Prakash,

      Very many thanks for including my 'Willingness to Pay' (WTP) and related
      queries in WatSan News Digest.

      I am rather astonished to know that WTP research by the Research Triangle
      Institute in North Carolina, USA, and TU Central Dept. of Population
      Studies in August 2001 showed that people are willing to pay Rs. 900 per
      month for 15000 ltrs of 'improved (water) services' per month (500 ltrs per
      day x 30 days).

      Whereas, based on your examples of current water costs we are liable to pay
      only Rs.109.50 for the same quantity (15000 ltrs). Why then are the people
      already skeptical and complaining about price hikes??

      From the above, I can only say that either something is wrong with the
      conclusions of the WTP research or something is wrong with the people
      themselves!!

      Acting as you do on behalf of the people, don't you think the NGO Forum
      ought to take a closer, independent, impartal look at the WTP of
      consumers? Surely, the success of the idea of 'private distributors and
      operators' would largely hinge on this matter of crucial importance.

      Should you feel the need for further clarification or inputs, kindly let me
      know.

      Regards,
      Artha Tuladhar
      2004.07.12