Fwd: The Grant for Democracy and Human Rights Projects in Overseas 2011

  • CHAN Beng Seng
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2011
      -------- Original Message --------

      Dear All,

      Greetings from the May 18 Memorial Foundation.

      We would like to request for your help to spread our Grant for Democracy and Human Rights Projects in Overseas 2011 as well as the other two programmes we're calling for.

      The Grant for Democracy and Human Rights Projects in Overseas 2011

      The Grant for Democracy and Human Rights Projects in Overseas (GDHRPO) 2011 supports work that contributes to promoting democracy and human rights and to building international solidarity. The grant will be awarded to non-government organizations (not GOs or individuals) based in civil communities which have been working in this field for more than 3 years.

      The Foundation has been granted total 24 organizations from 15 countries from 2005 to 2010. Last year the Foundation provided funds to 6 grantee organizations in 5 Asian countries: Indonesia, Laos, Maldives, Pakistan and Palestine. Activities were made possibly by the 2010 Grant Projects included training workshops, regional seminars, national-level networking events, grassroots mobilization, rallies and much more. Issues covered include: peace and conflict resolution, human rights monitoring and education and anti-nuclear campaign awareness.

      The Grant consists of 2 main categories: Project support and Organization support. The Foundation will support 8 projects from 8 organizations and 3 organizations in the field of network, grassroots, and research.

      Grantee organizations will receive the opportunity to participate in a variety of the May 18 Memorial Foundation’s international solidarity programs such as Gwangju Asian Forum, Gwangju Human Rights Folk School, International Internship Program.

      Categories

      Schemes

      Grant amount(Krw)

      Remarks

      Project support

      1 year term

      Civil movement

      3,000,000 won

      2 projects

      Democracy education

      3,000,000 won

      2 projects

      2 years term

      Human Rights advocacy

      3,000,000 won per year

      2 projects

      Working conflict zone

      3,000,000 won per year

      2 projects

      Organizations support

      2 years term

      Network organization

      300,000 won per month

      1 organization

      Grass roots organization

      300,000 won per month

      1 organization

      Research institute

      300,000 won per month

      1 organization

      3,000,000won: approximately 2,400 USD

      300,000won: approximately 240 USD

      2 year grant will be awarded quarterly (in March, June, September, December).

      Application deadline is 13 February 2011. Please check more information on the projects on our website www.518.org/eng and application files http://www.518.org/eng/html/download.php?idx=587&file_chk=1.

      The International Internship Programme 2011

      The international internship programme is our way to inspire young human rights activists to learn from the example of the heroes of the May 18 Gwangju Democratic Uprising and in the process help spread such spirit and ideals to Asia. We are in the middle of recruiting 2 interns who will start working from March to December 2011. Internship application form and supporting documents will be accepted through 518interns@... by 20 January 2011. You can check more information on the programme on our website www.518.org/eng.

      The Gwangju Prize for Human Rights 2011

      The May 18 Memorial Foundation yearly announces the Gwangju Prize for Human Rights in memory of the May 18 Democratic Uprising of 1980. The annual prize aims to enhance the spirit of the May 18 Democratic Uprising by recognizing individuals and organizations who have contributed to protecting human rights and promoting peace, unification and cooperation. This year the Foundation established the Special Prize for the Gwangju Prize for Human Rights. This prize will go to a person who has been working for the improvement of human rights by the means of journalism, culture, literature, and many other fields.  The special prize will be provided every 2 years. The prize winner will also receive some prize money (5,000,000 Korean won, approximately 4,500 USD) and a certificate while the prize winner of the Gwangju Prize for Human Rights receives the prize money, 50,000 USD, medal and certificate. The deadline for applying these awards is 1 March 2011. Please check more information on the prize on our website www.518.org/eng.

      We hope to seek your valuable support on this effort by helping us spread these information.

      Thank you very much. Happy new year.

      Regards

      Culture and Solidarity Team

      The May 18 Memorial Foundation