Faith and Peace Newsletter - 16/12/10

  • CHAN Beng Seng
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 16, 2010

      December 2010

      Doctrine Divides, Action Unites

       ۩ Home Page
       ۩ School of Peace
       ۩ Faithand Peace Archives
       ۩ Photosand events
       ۩ Who are we

      e-mail : forumicf@...

      I Have No Enemies: My Final Statement
      Liu Xiaobo
      On Christmas Day last year, the author was sentenced to 11 years in prison by a court in China for subverting state power as a co-author of Charter 08 that called for political reform in the country a year earlier. On Dec. 10 this year, the author was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in Oslo for his efforts to promote human rights and a democratic political system in China. This statement, written on the day of his trial on Dec. 23, 2009, was read by Norwegian actress Liv Ullman during the ceremony to award the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize to Liu Xiaobo while he remained in a prison in northeast China. An empty chair signified his “presence” at the ceremony in Norway. [Readmore]

      Indonesia: Local Sharia Laws Violate Rights in Aceh
      Human Rights Watch
      Sharia laws on “seclusion” and public dress impinge on the rights of people in Aceh, especially women, explains this international human rights organization in a new report. [Readmore]

      The Infliction of the Blasphemy Law in Pakistan
      Naeem Shakir
      The author, a lawyer who practices before the Supreme Court of Pakistan, explains how a law enacted under the rule of a military dictator more than 20 years ago still is wielded as a legal weapon against the country’s religious minorities. [Readmore].

        Philippines: Morong 43 Case Exposes a Prosecution System Directly under Political Control
      Asian Human Rights Commission
      The beginning of the end of the ordeal of the Morong 43, a group of 43 doctors, nurses, midwives and community health workers who were illegally arrested and detained in February 2010 (see the March2010 issue of faith and peace), began with the announcement on Dec. 10 by Philippine President Benigno Aquino III’s announcement to withdraw the charges. While this is a welcome development, the Asian Human Rights Commission (AHRC) explains how this case illustrates the weaknesses of the legal system in the country that impinge on people’s rights. [Readmore]

      Protecting Our Christian Neighbors in Iraq
      Ahmed K. Fahad
      Recent attacks against a religious minority in Iraq have brought Muslims and Christians closer together—perhaps the opposite intended reaction by those attracted to the use of violence. [Readmore]