Plundered Histories, Forgotten Terrains & Entangled People

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 16, 2010
    SORRY FOR CROSS POSTING

    Dear friends:

    I am sending you a paper on mining and its impact on people, communities and state. This paper was first published in a journal viz. The India Economy Reivew, September 2010 edition. You could also access it atwww.iipmthinktank.com/publications/archive/ier/ier-sept-2010.pdf. Please go through it and get back with your responses to my email id. goldymgeorge10@...

    ---------------------------------
    Creation of a casteless and peaceful society is indeed the first step towards just, egalitarian, and harmonious society. A society of equals, neither unequal nor more-equals, beyond the strings of caste, class, gender, race, ethnicity, etc. Otherwise it leads to social oppression, political exploitation, economic deprivation, cultural domination, gender discrimination, class isolation, deliberate exclusion. Lets’ believe in a society beyond this.

    Goldy M. George
    Dalit Mukti Morcha
    Chhattisgarh

    Message 2 of 3 , Nov 16, 2010
      Thanks for the paper Goldy.  I hope to have time to go through it soon.  I suspect it will reflect issues that are present in maybe all countries of the world.  The mining and drilling giants are so powerful and have convinced so many people that nothing bad is happening.  It will take a massive movement of the marginalized to raise this issue loud enough to make a difference.

      max

      [Attachment(s) from Goldy George included below]

      --
      Visit my blog at http://calebandshalev.wordpress.com/

      "Dialogue demands more courage than waging war. It takes you to that uncomfortable space where you have to question your own assumptions and, rather than speak on other people's behalf, truly listen to what they have to say, take it into consideration, and present your own views in a way that addresses the misunderstandings that have arisen."  Haider Al-Mosawi

      You Westerners have been coming to the Holy Land for centuries to visit the shrines,
      the dead stones. But you do not see the living stones – the human beings who live
      and struggle before your eyes. I say ‘Wake up!’ What matters are the living stones!
      (Father Elias Chacour, cited in Bush, 1996)

      Message 3 of 3 , Nov 16, 2010
        Dear Max:
        Thanks for the message. Where are you these days boss?

        You are right that it really raises issues across the boundaries. There are several movements in India who are already on the move in the struggle against the mining giants. My precise contention is that all mining in some way or other in the modern parlance of development is related with war and war weapons.

        Hope that this finds you in great spirit.