Rape in Philippines`

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2009
      News Release

      Reference: Joms Salvador, 3712302 / 09189182150

      GABRIELA
      Storms Philippine Appellate Court/US Embassy, outraged over Smith's Acquittal

      The militant women's group GABRIELA
      stormed the Court of Appeals this morning and later proceeded to the
      US Embassy to express outrage over the Higher Court's decision to
      acquit Lance Corporal Daniel Smith.

      “The Court of Appeals betrayed the Filipinos. By acquitting Smith, they have trampled on the hard-fought
      justice of women on the Subic rape case and the fight of all
      Filipinos to defend our dignity as a people,� said Joms Salvador,
      Gabriela spokesperson.

      The women's group said that the Higher
      Court abandoned its responsibility to the Filipino people to deliver
      justice by overturning the lower court's guilty verdict on Smith in
      2006.

      “Justice Pozon soundly handed Smith a
      guilty verdict based on clear evidences that Nicole was raped. He
      stood on the side of justice despite tremendous political pressure
      but this is now nullified by the decision of Court of Appeals that
      clearly reeks of political maneuvering,� added Salvador.

      “All recent developments on the Subic
      rape case
      , including the termination of Nicole's legal counsel and
      the recent affidavit of Nicole, all points to political manipulations
      being orchestrated no less than the US and the Philippine
      government,� said Salvador.

      The women's group said that Smith's
      acquittal aims to end all contentions on the custody of the convicted
      US soldier. “The US government's adamant refusal to turn over Smith
      to Philippine authorities underscores the grossly unequal relations
      of US and the Philippines under the Visiting Forces Agreement.�

      The constitutionality of the VFA is set
      to be taken up by the Philippine senate, spurred by the US
      government's inaction to turn over Smith despite a Supreme Court
      decision
      last February.

      “Notwithstanding the CA decision, the
      truth remains that the US soldier Smith raped a Filipina. The truth
      remains that through VFA, US soldiers can get away with ravaging our
      people; that VFA violates  our sovereignty. The fight for justice and
      the fight to junk VFA continues,� concluded Salvador.
      ###
      GABRIELA Philippines
      35 Sct. Delgado St, Brgy. Laging Handa
      Quezon City, 1103 Philippines
      TeleFax: (632) 374 44 23
      E-mail: gabwomen@...

      GABRIELA is a grassroots-based alliance of more than 200 women's organizations, institutions, desks and programs in the Philippines.  We seek to wage a struggle for the liberation of women and the rest of our people.

      --
      I am interested in the homeless, but they're a symptom. You're treating a symptom and the disease rages on and consumes the human race. I'm talking about an overhaul of the system: putting power in different hands. - Joss Whedon, Zack Whedon, Maurissa Tancharoen, and Jed Whedon